Are Defenders heavier on the drivers side? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 18th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Are Defenders heavier on the drivers side?

I've weighed mine front and rear, but never side to side. I am now in the middle of selecting springs for the front/rear coilovers and I am noticing that the drivers side sags much more than the passenger. Anout 1.25in more! I adjusted the shock no problem, but I think thats odd.

Does the drivers side weight much more? Has anybody checked? It may require a 225 upper to compensate at this point. Thanks.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2008, 05:00 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

I may be wrong, but when I had the engine out, I am pretty sure the engine and even the tunnel are all more on the driver side. So that may mean more wt as well?
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

My 110 has sagged on the drivers side as well.
Drivers weight and battery add a little to the drivers side.
I've heard that the original LR coil spring's for the drivers side were slightly longer than the coils springs for the other side, not sure if on the front only or font and back.
Not 100% sure but I've heard it.

Regards,
Santiago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

HI chaps, the short answer is yes.!
often see landrovers- series and coilers in the uk with a lean to the drivers side, In the UK the fuel tank is also under the driver on swb vehicles except TD5's

Landrover specified stiffer not longer springs on the drivers side as the vehicle is most often driven with just the driver and therefore the driverside springs wear quicker.
so a leaning 90 is not just down to the salad dodger behind the wheel..!

However D90's have the fuel tank in the rear so a leaning vehicle is a sure sign of a salad dodger
owning the motor. :-)

Regards all as i run for cover

Gren
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren_T
HI chaps, the short answer is yes.!
often see landrovers- series and coilers in the uk with a lean to the drivers side, In the UK the fuel tank is also under the driver on swb vehicles except TD5's

Landrover specified stiffer not longer springs on the drivers side as the vehicle is most often driven with just the driver and therefore the driverside springs wear quicker.
so a leaning 90 is not just down to the salad dodger behind the wheel..!

However D90's have the fuel tank in the rear so a leaning vehicle is a sure sign of a salad dodger
owning the motor. :-)

Regards all as i run for cover

Gren
Our drivers side is the other side. So I am talking about the left side. And I am talking about without the driver. It seems like the left side or battery side is at least 100-150 heavier. I just want to be sure before I up the spring rate to compensate. With coilovers, that amount of weight matters. Thanks.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Pat
Patrick M.
D90 '96 300Tdi 5 speed

I've red LR specified different length (driver side vs passenger side) but not different stiffness coils...
http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/springinfo.html#OEM
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:09 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Yep, OME even designated PS or DS on their tags. Not sure how your 300tdi figures into that equation though. If I had to guess from memory there is less than 1" difference in height on the 240lb spring that is 17" tall. I'll let you do the math for your upper springs.
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I would also venture to say yes as well, not including the driver.

You have the battery, steering column, dash and gauges, steering box, brake cylinder and booster, clutch assembly all making the weight shift to the drivers side. Then, in the NAS trucks, you also have the transfer case extending toward the driver side by some degree, which also shifts the rear driveshaft weight to the driver side. Individual parts may not weigh that much, but a lot of them have to be on the drivers side regardless of LHD or RHD setup.

Not sure how much of that is offset by stuff such as the heating, air conditioning and such.

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:21 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think the tdi is also mounted more to the drivers side... And man, that little engine is heavy.
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
Yep, OME even designated PS or DS on their tags. Not sure how your 300tdi figures into that equation though. If I had to guess from memory there is less than 1" difference in height on the 240lb spring that is 17" tall. I'll let you do the math for your upper springs.
Thanks all. So stock springs are 240lb?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:43 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

No, that is the OME 764 which is commonly run in the rear of
D90s providing ~2" of lift. It is 220 or 240 off the top of my head.

Not sure what the stock spring rate is, probably not much different though.
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi all I have the chart that lists the specs for the coil springs i'll try and dig it out and post it tomorrow i found it usefull to spec ome springs for my 90.

regards

Gren
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry

175 lb/in front
225 lb/in rear

My 200TDI hardtop 90 empty weight more in the front than the rear by a little, so the higher rear rate is for carrying a load.
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:09 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90

175 lb/in front
225 lb/in rear

My 200TDI hardtop 90 empty weight more in the front than the rear by a little, so the higher rear rate is for carrying a load.
Thanks. Thats very interesting and helpful. I had no idea the spring rates were so light in the front.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:31 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Instead of changing your spring rate how about adjusting the gas pressure in the shock? I'm assuming you have gas shocks. Occasionally we do it with the race cars if they are bottoming out on turns. Adding 30psi of nitrogen can help carry some weight and would usually fix the problem. Not sure on the math exactly though. Just a thought.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:08 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Buck just doesn't want to admit he's a salad dodger!

Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:44 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
Instead of changing your spring rate how about adjusting the gas pressure in the shock? I'm assuming you have gas shocks. Occasionally we do it with the race cars if they are bottoming out on turns. Adding 30psi of nitrogen can help carry some weight and would usually fix the problem. Not sure on the math exactly though. Just a thought.
I guess it could work. But I have never heard of it with the Fox Shocks. They call out for 200psi. I would be worried about trying that as it wouldn't really hold more weight, just affect the compression and rebound. I like the creativity though!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
owen
Owen Jones
Yellow`95 D90 ST #2188

Registry
I understand that compression and rebound damping are only affected by adding or subtracting shims from the stack.

Increasing gas pressure will increase spring rate. Some light buggies use no springs - just the gas pressure in the shocks.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen
I understand that compression and rebound damping are only affected by adding or subtracting shims from the stack.

Increasing gas pressure will increase spring rate. Some light buggies use no springs - just the gas pressure in the shocks.
Yep, that was exactly my point! I did some prerunning down in Baja for the Baja 1000 and most of the sand rails don't have any springs at all. They had usually 4 people in them, full cages, etc. etc. so they were fairly heavy. Placing some of the weight on the shock allows obviously a lighter spring which allows lower compression and rebound settings. Do you have any scales available to you? If so place the truck on there, take your readings then add 20 psi to the driver side and see what happens to the weight distribution. You could even cater the pressures to match weight of fuel, driver, or whatever since you can get such small adjustments.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
Yep, that was exactly my point! I did some prerunning down in Baja for the Baja 1000 and most of the sand rails don't have any springs at all. They had usually 4 people in them, full cages, etc. etc. so they were fairly heavy. Placing some of the weight on the shock allows obviously a lighter spring which allows lower compression and rebound settings. Do you have any scales available to you? If so place the truck on there, take your readings then add 20 psi to the driver side and see what happens to the weight distribution. You could even cater the pressures to match weight of fuel, driver, or whatever since you can get such small adjustments.
Really?? Are you sure? Airshocks yes, but I've never heard of running a normal shock with no spring.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions