arb/truetrack front - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:32 AM
Superfinder
Jan
Defender 90 G4

arb/truetrack front

hello guys/ladies
I already have a rear arb locker with upgraded half-shafts and etc. But now I want a front "locker". Cost isn't an issue I just want to know what is best for my needs. I just do some serious greenlaning nothing more.
I'm thinking about truetrack or another arb.
when i put arb i will upgrade my shafts and cv's but i know you cant use always 100% lockers when you want and need traction in the front and with truetrack this isnt a problem its always working and it doesn't harm the weak mechanical parts of a defender. Now which one is the best option?
By the way i do every year 25000km's (20000 on road) a year with my defender.
Thanks for the replies
greets
Superfinder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2007, 10:17 AM
Monkeyboy

Hi Jan,

I've got a TT in the front of my Disco and it works well enough ... but it's not ever "locked" and is a little unnerving in snow and ice on the highway from time to time.

I'm rebuilding a Series IIa 109 and have an ARB in the front of that one ... I'd stick with the ARB.

KAA
Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:05 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

If cost is no issue, get the ARB. I have seen both in action and the TT can be non functional in certain situations requiring fussing around with pumping brakes etc. The ARB is straight forward, on or off, but you do need to learn how and when to use it sensably. Also the TT messes with you all the time, even when you don't want it to on the street.
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2007, 01:18 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

For sure ARB, I've seen stock cv's break even with the Truetrac.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 01:42 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
For sure ARB, I've seen stock cv's break even with the Truetrac.

Not my CV's though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old September 2nd, 2007, 05:11 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I'd vote for the ARB as well. But I gotta disagree with the handling criticism mentioned of the TT. I have the TT up front and I drive in all weather conditions even heavy snow and ice. I have had zero complaints. No spinning out, no wandering, no problems.

PCRover, can you elaborate on your TT experiences?
Old September 2nd, 2007, 05:17 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by revor
Not my CV's though

I need to talk to you sometime soon about Toyota diffs. That was a great demo at the Rally. 10,000lbs and what 110 degree twist?

Sorry, didn't mean to get off track with the thread.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 09:04 AM
Monkeyboy

Hey Mike,

Handling issues were mine ... I didn't see Gary's.

Mine's in combination with a Detroit in the rear ... Might be just as big a contributor.

Snow is fine ... in town is fine ... it's higher speeds with irrecularly slick surfaces that really get my attention. The trip from Co Springs to ABQ two (?) Thanksgivings ago was quite an experience!

If grip is irregular, well, the system spears to do its job and is really quite quick about directing power to the corner with the grip ... with the expected "twitchyness" to directional control

And as regards the CV's ... everyone knows I drive like a sissy ... the original CV's are still in the Disco ... ssshhh.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:55 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

That makes sense if you have a Detroit locker in the rear. I actually have TT in both front and rear so the driving charactistics are pretty predictable.
Old September 4th, 2007, 10:29 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

[QUOTE=snuffer]I need to talk to you sometime soon about Toyota diffs. That was a great demo at the Rally. 10,000lbs and what 110 degree twist?

Give me a call any time Randy... We like strong diffs!!! It was actually 8500 Foot pounds and 110 degrees of twist but still as strong or stronger than stock Dana 60 stuff..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 4th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by revor
... but still as strong or stronger than stock Dana 60 stuff..
Sooo, the next question - that only concern's Salisbury axled' folk - how do your extra special Sals axles compare? I don't need to be concerned about the durability on the ones that I have, ahem, seasoning do I
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfinder
..Cost isn't an issue...
Nice... If that's the case, then ARB it is.
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:40 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
Nice... If that's the case, then ARB it is.

True.

And its a good thing that cost isn't an issue since you should change your axels as well if you go with the ARB's.
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:00 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy
Sooo, the next question - that only concern's Salisbury axled' folk - how do your extra special Sals axles compare? I don't need to be concerned about the durability on the ones that I have, ahem, seasoning do I
Nahhhh your good to some silly amont of torque neither of us will ever come close to obtaining

Old September 4th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Monkeyboy

Good to hear from the "crash tester"

Now if we only knew someone who had some front Salisburies lying about

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack