Defender Source Forum banner

ARB RD56 air leak

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  cgalpin 
#1 ·
I'm curious if anyone has had the same symptoms and agrees (or disagrees) with my diagnosis. The symptom was that when I engaged my (front) locker, air was getting into the axle housing and out the breather tube [1].

I pulled the 3rd member and hooked up the line to test, and I can tell it's not leaking at the bulkhead fitting, but hear air coming out of the center of the diff. Is it safe to assume it's the two o-rings where the air line connects to the locker and not something internal to the locker?

Oh and does this scoring on the seal housing look bad? I'm hoping not to need to replace this.

thanks,
charles
1. If on a steep incline this meant pumping oil up the line too which then drips onto your cats and starts a small engine fire. Not good.

Attachments

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#4 ·
Thanks. I did email him and he replied with a good suggestion of spinning it while testing, but I had already called ARB tech support and re-tested before he replied. ARB's suggestion was to use soapy water which I'm not sure why I didn't think of! As luck would have it, the inner "u-ring" seal is the one leaking. This involves opening her up and replacing one-time use bolts and washer tabs, so I put in an order for 2 sets of everything (including o-rings to be safe) so I have a spare kit.

What's odd is that this is supposedly a rare failure and usually caused by low oil or overheating, which I am quite sure neither has been an issue for me.

Woah, I've never noticed that scar before...what's the story with that one?
Super secret Canadian Land Rover Society membership brand. I'd have to kill you (or make you a member) if I told you.

#5 ·
Well I found my air leak. I wish I had dismantled it before ordering parts and waiting for them. I'm not happy about this as this can only be due to it not being assembled properly during manufacturing (it was brand new when installed).

This is a thrust washer from one of the pinion bearings. There is no way this was ever installed on the cross shaft. It worked it's way out to the inner seal and jammed between the housing and the seal and piston.

#10 ·
I will be interested to see what ARB says and how well they stand behind their product
They get an A+ so far. I explained the history and that I am not comfortable repairing it myself - that I'd prefer they go over it and make sure nothing else is damaged and they said no problem. They are even going to let me return and refund me for the seals and o-rings I bought since they are apparently older ones too.

I believe it's just going to cost me one way shipping and some bolts/nuts I have already bought for spares (although I shouldn't need them unless I get another rare internal failure), so nothing to complain about there.

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.