ARB Problem : HELP needed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 14th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Jay
Jay Frem

ARB Problem : HELP needed

Hi guys

Was wheeling today on snow. Had 6 psi in my 36 " Simex ET II. A tye jumped off the wheel and wheel was slightly bent. Put in my spare an old 35" MTR good year

When i am engaging my rear ARB the rear tyres are not spinning correctly. When RPM increases one of the tyres appears to be vibrating in place rather than spinning. I am thinking of the following possibilities:

a-GBR/Maxi axle twisting
b-Tyre size difference a 36" on side a 35" on the other
Linear Velocity = Angular Velocity X Tyre Diameter
c-Damaged ARB side bearing
d-Air pressure too low causing tyre to slip on wheel

It is pretty dark already I am planning to do another testing tomorow.
Apprecaite any help you could shed on this. I really do not feel like opening up those diffs for 10 th time so far.....

Regards

Jay
83 Rangie 2" OME on 32"x9.5 Simex ET I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Jack up both tires in the rear, then try spinning them one at a time with the arb locked. THe other tire and the driveshaft should turn. If one side fails to spinn the driveshaft then remove the halfshaft to make sure it is ok. If it is ok then it's time to pull the other side, driveshatf and diff to have a look see. You may want to make sure there is no oil in the ARB air line preventing it from working.
Old January 15th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Scott 9835
Scott Falter
95 D90

Question

How come it wont work with oil in the line. Please explain.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Not sure, never had an ARB but I know of a few people whose lines filled with gear oil and I think blocked up the valve near the compressor, I think.
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:55 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have ARB's F&R... My compressorís solenoids were misting gear oil, when the ARB's were turned off and the air was released. The compressor is located under the passenger seat. I would end up with puddles of gear oil in that compartment. The lockers would still work, but it is my understanding is that the gear oil can damage the solenoids, which would cause them not to activate the lockers.

One of the solutions from ARB was to check the axel breather tubes... Mine were full of dirt... Full. The tubes were just crammed up into the frame area, so I took some old Ranger Rover EAS lines and made new lines and routed them up into the engine compartment, next to the Trans and Transfer case breather lines. This stopped the oil from coming up into the ARB lines. So, no more puddles under the passenger seat.

ARB said that if the breather lines were clogged, the gear oil would seek another route. Which means traveling up the ARB lines.

Scott

Old January 15th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Jay
Jay Frem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Jack up both tires in the rear, then try spinning them one at a time with the arb locked. THe other tire and the driveshaft should turn. If one side fails to spinn the driveshaft then remove the halfshaft to make sure it is ok. If it is ok then it's time to pull the other side, driveshatf and diff to have a look see. You may want to make sure there is no oil in the ARB air line preventing it from working.
I did not get a chance to try the truck another time with more air pressure and the two tyres of equal size fitted since I fixed my 36" tyre.
As I noted I was running a 34.3" on one side and a 36.3" on the other side....Different diameters different linear speed...

Could an ARB disengage from one side sort like a clutch slipping?

Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions