ARB Locker Problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
snurp
Keith Kuboske
94 D90 ST Arles Blue

ARB Locker Problem

Was offroading in Coppinger Cove on Monteagle Tn couple of weeks ago, going down the mountain was fine but having to climb back up through wet leaves and boulders put a strain on just locking the center diff so started up the compressor and hit the switch for the rear locker. Noticed compressor would not go off, so got out and looked under truck for break in air line, could not find any air leak but did find air coming out the rear diff vent hose.
Guese an o-ring or seal broke inside the diff caussing all air presuure to come out through vent hose. What is the procedure for fixing? Do you have to remove the third member and tear down diff to fix?
Would I be better off putting a Detiot no-spin locker in the rear and move the ARB to the front?

Thanks for the any help/opinions!

Keith K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

If it was me I would do exactly what you are describing, put the Detroit in the rear and the ARB in the front and I think you would have the best of both worlds.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:22 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

I have a detroit in the rear of my d2, and down the road, I hope to change it to an ARB... having a selectable locker is definitely better in a lot of situations, especially on rocks and trying to make tight turns.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Well, here we go the classic ARB vs Detroit thread!
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Haha, it's a never-ending debate! But as someone who does have a detroit, and wheel it a lot, I do find there are times where I do not want to have a locker...
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I have a Detroit and it works, this fellow's ARB let him down. If you want a bolt it in and forget it solution that will get you home then the Detroit is the way to go. Sure there are trade offs but I have seen too many ARB's fail to function when they are needed to want to go that route.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

I agree, and that is the reason I didn't go with the ARB... more things to fail... compressor, electronics, air lines, etc..

no solution is perfect though, there are tradeoffs in every situation.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Price + Reliability = Detroit

Think about it, you actually NEED a locker about 1% of the time you drive your truck and how many times does the ARB let you down when called on, more times than can be justified by the extra cost. I would probably go to a selectable locker if ARB made an electrically activated locker but they don't and I don't want a Toy conversion so Detroit is it.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:47 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
To answer you original question, yes, you need to pull the third member. It's not hard at all - pull the axle shafts and drive shaft and unbolt the third member. I bet one or both of the o-rings on the seal housing failed. It's a simple and cheap repair you can do yourself. I doubt the locker itself failed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:48 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

On the other hand the Detroit in the rear of a short light vehicle can be entertaining.
How many 90 owners have detroits in the rear of their trucks?
I love them but there in the rear of heavy Disco's and a 110.
The one in my Jeep was brutal.

The other Keith K.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:59 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by revor
On the other hand the Detroit in the rear of a short light vehicle can be entertaining.
How many 90 owners have detroits in the rear of their trucks?
I love them but there in the rear of heavy Disco's and a 110.
The one in my Jeep was brutal.
Just wondering what you found to be so brutal about a Detroit in a short wheelbase vehicle? I've got the classic Detroit rear, TT front setup on my 90. It's been fantastic with no trouble at all (okay there is that occasional "CLUNK!!" where everyone looks to see what broke and/or fell off of your rig in some tight turns)
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris
Just wondering what you found to be so brutal about a Detroit in a short wheelbase vehicle? I've got the classic Detroit rear, TT front setup on my 90. It's been fantastic with no trouble at all (okay there is that occasional "CLUNK!!" where everyone looks to see what broke and/or fell off of your rig in some tight turns)
It could have been the loose suspension or maybe the 400 horsy's under the hood. I loved it though, never a worry. If it unlocked on the highway it was "exciting"

I have heard from a number of customers that they don't like their detroits in the rear of the 90's. That's only a smattering of users though. More opinions help form better decisions.

The detroit is by for the best bang for the buck when it comes to lockers, I'm a big fan of Detroit rear and selectable front.

Perhaps its all about what you can get used to.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:17 PM
pushngo
Randy Williams

I have had 2 trucks with dual ARBs and never had them fail My new Toy setup will have ARBs I set them up with pneumatic switchs to get rid of all the possible electrial problems and a barrel regulator to decrease the chances of blowing the seal with too much pressure.

I have seen some interesting off camber attempts with Detroits and snow and ice ... I agree that a locker is ony of use 1% of the time and because I do a few trials events the Detroit would be a huge hindrence but everyone has there own wheeling style so each should pick his poision
Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Try cleaning out the breather tube to the axel... Mine was packed with mud and it was pushing gear dope into the solenoid.

Old December 24th, 2008, 12:34 AM
snurp
Keith Kuboske
94 D90 ST Arles Blue

Air from the compressor was coming out the breather tube for the diff. Would a blocked breather tube for the axle cause this?was in mud and swollen streams most of the day so a blocked tube is not out of the question.
Keith K
Old December 24th, 2008, 01:45 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I think you will like the ARB much better than the Detroit if you ever drive icy roads. Even more the shorter the vehicle is.

The ARB is much faster to engage and disengage than the elockers that I have used.
Old December 27th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Also, I can't speak for all brands, but the E-lockers have their fair share of problems as well. I know we have replaced quite a few LR3 E-locker rear diffs under warranty.
Old December 27th, 2008, 01:25 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

What about the newer Kam locker with LSD?

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old December 27th, 2008, 10:09 AM
pushngo
Randy Williams

Detroit also has an e-locker that is or will be on the market soon It is still slow not as bad as the Toy apparently.
Old December 27th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

I would bet money it's not your O-rings, but the "U-ring" instead. Dig up your old install paperwork and check the exploded diagram for the location of this part. You will need to take out the carrier and open it up to perform the repair. It's and easy job though. Talk to the tech support folks at ARB to get the correct parts.

jC

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions