ARB compresor and lines install help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 17th, 2013, 01:17 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

ARB compresor and lines install help

Anyone done this? I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I can swap diffs like a champ (knock on wood), but I have never done the compressor and lines. Is there room in the batter box for the compressor?
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2013, 07:29 AM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

I have my compressor in the passenger box. Fits well in the space. Relocated the instrument switch to the blank on the bottom of the binical and put the carlin switches in the 3 blanks where the instrument switch was to the left of the steering column.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old September 18th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Frank84
Frank Battersby
95 D90

I'm just finishing up my RRC's install and have a few things left to tidy up but I'm mostly there. Went out and tested things earlier this week and all seems to be working. Some pictures attached to perhaps give you some ideas.

Under the seatbox is convenient for sure but low down if you do a lot of water crossings. You can always run the intake higher I suppose. My D90 has A/C under the dash, but if yours doesn't maybe you could tuck it up under there if you have a smaller compressor. I made a bracket that used existing bolts that were there for people that drive with the steering wheel on the wrong side. It tucks up out of view and is higher than I've ever had water in the vehicle.

I'm not as up to speed on D90 wiring, but on my RRC there is a positive post (basically a rubber sleeved bolt) on the PS in the footwell (all the brown wires in the picture) so I tapped into that - there's a large enough gauge wire on the engine side of the post. I grounded it through my mount which bolts through the bulkhead. On the engine side of things I ran a short ground strap from one of those bolts to the chassis.

For switches, I used the defunct cruise control switch to turn on/off the compressor and then a spare headlight switch for the lockers. The switch fits in the cut out on the right side of the steering column that housed my defunct rear wiper/wash switch. First click (parking lights) turns on the rear locker and second click (head lights + parking) turns on front and rear. Works great with the ARB wiring loom. A RRC headlight switch will fit in the dash on a D90 to the left of the steering column by the dimmer switch. There are two cutout on the D90 so you could use RRC headlight switch there too for the compressor if you wanted.

I think the routing of the lines is self explanatory with the pictures but I basically tried to follow the suspension arms to avoid having too much line dangling to deal with the travel. There may be cleaner ways - especially in the front, but I wasn't coming up with anything the night I ran them. I left some extra length in the lines for now since it is easier to shorten it later than to try to add some back if I come up with something better. Just watch for chafing points and protect the line with some wiring loom sleeves or something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01951.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	80239   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01954.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	80240  

Name:	DSC01955.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	80241   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01958.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	80242  

Name:	DSC01960.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	80243   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01968.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	80244  

Name:	DSC01969.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	80245   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01970.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	80246  

Name:	DSC01971.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	80247   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01952.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	80251  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Honestly, ARB really outdid themselves on the wiring harness that comes with the compressor, it makes installation too easy. I did my air lines much like Frank, it's all quite easy once you're wiring on it.
Old September 19th, 2013, 10:02 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

I mounted mine in the engine compartment. I also used clear tubing on all "friction" points...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D-90 ARB 1.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	80315  
Old September 19th, 2013, 10:11 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Honestly, ARB really outdid themselves on the wiring harness that comes with the compressor, it makes installation too easy. I did my air lines much like Frank, it's all quite easy once you're wiring on it.
I fitted mine in a made up locker in the front of the left hand rear footwell

Yes the ARB harness is great, I do happen to have a complete harness for the smaller model that I will sell.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	05-jul-13 005 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	80316  

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions