ARB carrier bolts backing out - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 1st, 2012, 10:34 PM
crobinson
Chris Robinson
97' D1

ARB carrier bolts backing out

Pulled the 3rd member today to fix a gear oil leak. When I drained the axle housing there was several metal pieces attached to the magnetic drain plug. When I got the 3rd member out I found the carrier bolts had all backed out. I think the metal pieces come from the locking tabs under the bolts (see pics). So, should I go ahead and have the ARB rebuilt or just loctite the bolts one at a time? I have not bench tested the ARB for leaks yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARB.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	49787   Click image for larger version

Name:	arb 01.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	49788  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2012, 10:07 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Locking tabs are supposed to go over the bolt head, not under the bolts. Who rebuilt that locker?

FYI those bolts and the lock tabs are single use only. You might get away with re-using the bolts if you use red loctite. IIRC that is what is on them when you buy new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobinson View Post
Pulled the 3rd member today to fix a gear oil leak. When I drained the axle housing there was several metal pieces attached to the magnetic drain plug. When I got the 3rd member out I found the carrier bolts had all backed out. I think the metal pieces come from the locking tabs under the bolts (see pics). So, should I go ahead and have the ARB rebuilt or just loctite the bolts one at a time? I have not bench tested the ARB for leaks yet.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:29 PM
crobinson
Chris Robinson
97' D1

Got a great deal on a OPEN BOX RD56. Some small parts were missing. Order a new seal kit from ARB. A good friend and I reassemble it. I guess we weren't paying much attention where the locking tabs go.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, bolts, carrier