ARB Bumper 97 Transmission Cooler Caution - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 6th, 2004, 11:45 PM
dnewman9
Dennis Newman
*SOLD*Conniston 97 NAS 90

ARB Bumper 97 Transmission Cooler Caution

Well after a ton of hours the oil cooler lines are ALL replaced. Power steering, Oil and Transmission lines are all rebuilt. Had a local shop here in Denver replace them all for just over 100 bucks.

I have had a nagging slight drip of tranny fluid on the driveway and had a hard time figuring out where it came from so after replacing all the lines, I was surprised to see more leakage. I noticed that the flange of one of the ARB mounting tabs was tight against the boss where the tranny cooler lines ran into. I also noticed the leak was coming down the line that mounted into that boss. I put a little more torque on the nut for that line and the whole boss popped off.

I replaced my cooler with a 404 Hayden aftermarket transmission cooler, but for anyone with an ARB you should make sure the tabs are not touching the boss as it is not very well mounted into the cooler. You could also loosen the bolts and center the cooler within the frame mounts if there is a problem.

Unfortunately I did not know this and ruined the stock cooler.
Thanks
Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott
1997 D-90 Hardtop (#2369)

Dennis,

Is this the problem that everyone discusses where you need to actually cut out part of the bull bar to get it to fit around the cooler lines? I have been told that ARB has a special set of instructions that warn about a problem similar to what you describe and detail how to cut "tabs" out of their design where it conflicts with the cooling lines.

Curious. Did you get such instructions when you bought your bar?

Michael
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:25 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

It's been several years, but I do remembering cutting off "tabs" on mine, per the instructions that came with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2004, 11:22 PM
dnewman9
Dennis Newman
*SOLD*Conniston 97 NAS 90

Angry

I purchased mine used, did not have the tabs cut nor did I know to look there. On the bright side it looks like there is a FAQ on just that.

SONOVA.....
Old September 8th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott
1997 D-90 Hardtop (#2369)

Dennis,

Look on the bright side--you still have a great looking truck...

I know that doesn't help, but I thought I would try...

Michael

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
97, arb bumper, bumper, transmission