ARB BullBar WINCH Compatability: - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 8th, 2005, 10:53 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

ARB BullBar WINCH Compatability:

Ok, so I've been having some problems, well a big problem with my SUPERWINCH X9 for say the past 2 years... The thing is it's doesn't work, well let me rephrase that, it's never REALLY worked. It's running off a brand new YellowTop OPTIMA and brand new 0AWG Welding wires so the power is there, I'm just sick of it. It kinda works one day then doesn't... I can't take it any more.

SO...

What winches have you guys put on these ARB BULL BARS ??

Both ARB & Warn say that their only manufactured winch at the moment is the X9000 that will fit that bumper.
But I would like to install a 9.5si M.O.S.F.E.T. in it but don't know how to go about doing it.

In any case, any help or guidance or any MacGuyver installs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

I've got the Warn X9000 in mine and it seems to work just fine. I haven't really had much occasion to use it other than pulling stumps but have had no problems with it.
Old August 8th, 2005, 02:15 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
Ok, so I've been having some problems, well a big problem with my SUPERWINCH X9 for say the past 2 years... The thing is it's doesn't work, well let me rephrase that, it's never REALLY worked. It's running off a brand new YellowTop OPTIMA and brand new 0AWG Welding wires so the power is there, I'm just sick of it. It kinda works one day then doesn't... I can't take it any more.
Hmmm, you shouldn't give up yet. Typically winch issues arrise from bad grounds. Make sure the ground has a clean contact at both ends. If it doesn't, clean it up and give it another try. If that doesn't work then you'll have to investagate the selinoid. Worst case you'll have to replace it. Although I personally suggest dumping that superwinch for a WARN.

Quote:
SO...

What winches have you guys put on these ARB BULL BARS ??

Both ARB & Warn say that their only manufactured winch at the moment is the X9000 that will fit that bumper.
But I would like to install a 9.5si M.O.S.F.E.T. in it but don't know how to go about doing it.
I got the same song-and-dance too, but in the end they proved to a be a valuble source of information. The first thing you need to do is to go outside and have a look at your ARB bumper. In order to fit other than the perscribed winch the passenger side of the tray must be cut. The cut will be semi-circular and should partially expose the frame. This will allow for the motor to properly fit in the foot-forward position. Additionally, you'll have to have the gear train rotated 45 degrees counter clockwise so you'll have access to the clucth. The guys at WARN can do this for you and update the winch as well. They typically perform this service for free. If this is a bit confusing I can take some pictures to help out.

I'm not sure how many of the ARB bumpers possess this configuration, however, I believe if you have the ARB bumper designed for the 10K lb winch then you should be good-to-go. This is the approach I took to fit my WARN 9.5 xp. The 9.5xp has the same foot print as the 9000XD, however, it was about one inch longer, thus the additional room is required inside the winch tray. If the bumper is cut properly then I would give WARN a call and ask them if the MOSFET has the same foot print as the XD9000. Again, WARN has outstanding service over the phone as well as drop in.

Good Luck

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Jimmy put one of those space age Warns in his ARB, he had the local welding place weld a 1/4" plate horizontaly in between the frame rails to mount the winch to. It works good!
Old January 26th, 2006, 01:05 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
Does anyone know if the Superwinch EPi will work with the ARB??
Old January 26th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Nick

I agree with DJ. Sounds like a wiring issue. May also be the plug on the remote too. There are 3 prongs that sometimes can get pushed up into the plug itself. I, for one, prefer the Superwinch products so if you decide to uload it, send me a PM.

Troy

Follow-up Post:

Kieth;

The EPi and X series have the same bolt pattern if that helps?

Troy
Old January 26th, 2006, 06:02 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The ARB I had was designed from the Warn 10K... I have been told and seen that a few people that put the Warn 12K in the bumper without cutting.

I have a Superwinch Husky 10K, I love it and have used it often.

Scott

Old January 26th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiefffff
Does anyone know if the Superwinch EPi will work with the ARB??
I don't know about the EPi, but I installed an EP9000 in my ARB with little drama.

Abe
Old January 26th, 2006, 11:01 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Jimmy put one of those space age Warns in his ARB, he had the local welding place weld a 1/4" plate horizontaly in between the frame rails to mount the winch to. It works good!

I have the 9.5Ti and it was installed as Mike says.

Never considered it "space agey" - sounds kinda blingy. I HATE THAT! Damn, Mike, now you got me thinking. Damn, damn!
Old January 27th, 2006, 03:29 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
The ARB I had was designed from the Warn 10K... I have been told and seen that a few people that put the Warn 12K in the bumper without cutting.
I don't know about the current 12K, but when I got my M10000 in 1998, the M12000 was the exact same size, just with lower gearing to handle the extra force. Line speed was lower than the M10000, naturally.
Old January 27th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
I have the 9.5Ti and it was installed as Mike says.

Never considered it "space agey" - sounds kinda blingy. I HATE THAT! Damn, Mike, now you got me thinking. Damn, damn!
LOL! Well I never thought I would have you rethinking about something you did Art!
Old January 27th, 2006, 06:40 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I've mounted a Warn 9000 with the overhead bridge type solenoid pack in my ARB by buying one of the Ramsey 24" wide winch mounting channels and using it to form a horizontal shelf for the winch to sit on. I had to trim the leading edges of the channel with a tapered cut to match the shape of the front of the bumper (easily done with a sawzall) and just using some pieces of 2"x2" angle to support the back edge of the shelf. I had to enlarge the motor cutout in the right side bumper leg just a little but the winch tucks in real nicely for a good clean installation.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:16 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Heya Folks,

I'd like to jump start this topic again. The original question/premise was the install of a WARN 9.5Si. I'm looking at that one (What the hell does M.O.S.F.E.T. really mean?) the 9.5Ti, the XD9000i and the XD9000.

I have one of the newer ARBs with the cut outs on both sides of the winch tray and am looking at a foot forward mount only. (I contacted ARB - Unable to advise me)

Initially just went for the new stuff with the integrated/protected solenoids and cables, sturdy top shell. But DJ opened my eyes on the benefit of having a separate solenoid pack (Relocate in engine comptmnt above wheel well, or in the battery box for protection from moisture.)

I know the XD9000i and XD9000 will fit...Now on to others. (The specs show the Ti and Si as only being 6/100th of an inch taller (10" height) than the XD 9000i and the bolt pattern is the same. The Ti and Si specs show they are just over an inch longer than the XDs)

So some specific questions:
Has anyone mounted a Ti or Si, foot forward, is it really water tight...and do you like it?

Is the base of the Ti and Si too wide to fit, regardless of the bolt pattern?

Does anyone know of any drawbacks to the integrated solenoid - personal experience? This includes the XD9000i...Any regrets?

Thanks. Appreciate your feedback. Am going nuts trying to pick a winch. Some things you only want to do once
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:47 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Probably not helping you so sorry in advance. In my jeeps and my d90, I have used the raymart that has the same mounting setup as the warn. Works great and my bumper on the d90 with a custom plate and some extra steel behind it has all the pressure on the frame rails.
Old March 24th, 2007, 02:12 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by norros

Thanks,

Nicholas Orros
Hey Nick,

I see DJ mentioned checking the ground, but if the winch simply does respond to the control sometimes and not others, make sure the solenoid pack has a good ground. I've found it best to actually run a separate ground wire from the back of the solenoid pack to the battery ground. If the solenoid pack doesn't have a good ground, you are in for problems just like you describe. This is assuming you'd like to try to keep it.

My experience with SuperWinch has been better that with Warn. The X9 I had on my Discovery seemed more robustly built than the three other Warns I've had experience with, the internal parts are allot beefier if you find photos of them, and my experience has been their customer service to be better than Warn's, but everyone has different experiences. SuperWinch sent me new solenoids when I thought mine had gone bad, no charge. Turned out to be a bad ground to the solenoid pack, so I speak from experience..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
winch