ARB Bull Bar for 97 D-90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:58 PM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott
1997 D-90 Hardtop (#2369)

ARB Bull Bar for 97 D-90

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I am having problems with the search feature so I wanted to see if anyone had any current input.

My question is regarding experience with the ARB Bull Bar for the D-90's. I have used them on other vehicles with great success, but am curious as to the feedback by others with respect to the D-90. In particular, I am curious about the following issues:

1. Mounting points: Will the ARB interfer with my front skid plate. I have the "swiss cheese" model they sell at British Pacific. I am concerned that the ARB mounting system and the mounting arms for the skid plate might conflict. My skid plate upper mounting arms hook into the holes where most people intall the "jate rings" and where the factory shipping tie downs are located.

2. Ground clearance: Does the ARB sacrifice that much ground clearance? Is the approach angle really that much worse?

Any photos that you all might have and could post would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:59 PM
dnewman9
Dennis Newman
*SOLD*Conniston 97 NAS 90

I am not sure I can answer any of your direct questions other than that I think it also uses the JATE ring holes for mounting points.
Also, I just learned this the hard way if you do buy one there are four tabs that sandwich the frame rails, inside and outside with bolts running through. If you do not notch the inside plates as described in the FAQ you will eventually ruin your oil cooler as I did. Very simple mod, very well described in the FAQ, just make sure you read it if you do buy one.
Dennis
Old October 3rd, 2004, 01:40 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I have wheeled with other D 90s that have the ARB. I personally think you give up too much approach angle with the ARB.

I have a RockWare on mine and with the winch installed it has a much better approach angle than the ARB, also the recovery points on the ARB are very flimsy compared to others. The Rockware also installs easily onto the frame horns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2004, 05:36 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

The bumper and guard use the same holes, but you would just have to bend the mounts on the bumper out a little so they would clear. The ARB is probably one of the toughest bumpers out there. It is heavy as hell though, and does have weak recovery points. It does decrease approach angle, but is strong enough to bash through whatever you are hitting. I have had 2 arb's and a SG bumper. That being said, I just got my new rockware bumper in the other day. It is a much better design than the arb and SG. Costs about the same money as ARB, less than SG. Strong recovery points, good approach angle, not as heavy as ARB, exc... Again, the arb is good. Look how many people use them. But if you haven't bought, I would def. go with the rockware bumper.

Just my opinion.

Chris
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott
1997 D-90 Hardtop (#2369)

Thanks for all of the information. Anyone out there with a Rockware bumper in the LA area I could look at?

Michael

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 97, d-90