ARB and WARN XDs 9.5Ti, Si??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 24th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

ARB and WARN XDs 9.5Ti, Si???

Heya Folks,

I'd like to jump start this topic again. The original question/premise was the install of a WARN 9.5Si. I'm looking at that one (What the hell does M.O.S.F.E.T. really mean?) the 9.5Ti, the XD9000i and the XD9000.

I have one of the newer ARBs with the cut outs on both sides of the winch tray and am looking at a foot forward mount only. (I contacted ARB - Unable to advise me)

Initially just went for the new stuff with the integrated/protected solenoids and cables, sturdy top shell. But DJ opened my eyes on the benefit of having a separate solenoid pack (Relocate in engine comptmnt above wheel well, or in the battery box for protection from moisture.)

I know the XD9000i and XD9000 will fit...Now on to others. (The specs show the Ti and Si as only being 6/100th of an inch taller (10" height) than the XD 9000i and the bolt pattern is the same. The Ti and Si specs show they are just over an inch longer than the XDs)

So some specific questions:
Has anyone mounted a Ti or Si, foot forward, is it really water tight...and do you like it?

Is the base of the Ti and Si too wide to fit, regardless of the bolt pattern?

Does anyone know of any drawbacks to the integrated solenoid - personal experience? This includes the XD9000i...Any regrets?

Thanks. Appreciate your feedback. Am going nuts trying to pick a winch. Some things you only want to do once
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

For what it's worth, I mounted a Superwinch EP9.0 feet forward in a TJM bumper on a disco. I moved the solenoid to the engine bay, and mounted the remote connector through the grill. Worked really well.
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Vick
For what it's worth, I mounted a Superwinch EP9.0 feet forward in a TJM bumper on a disco. I moved the solenoid to the engine bay, and mounted the remote connector through the grill. Worked really well.
Thanks, Andrew. That helps. So did you do this rather than go for a winch with an integrated solenoid? Or was it neccesary because of what was available at the time?

Can you compare and contrast a WARN vs. a Superwinch? Why is that Bill Burke uses a Superwinch but not many people seem to think very highly of them? (Only from what I've read.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2007, 02:13 AM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

I liked my old WARN 9.5 XP tons more than my superwinch
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

I bought it specifically because I wanted to be able to move the solenoid, and I'd read good things about them. I haven't had a Warn, so I can't make the comparison. It worked very well for what I needed it for, but never really had any situations where I was grinding away on it. Being that where you are is very similar to here, typically you're using it to bump over an obstacle as opposed to dragging through mud etc.
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Nalu
Colin Miller
94 D90 ST/4.6

Can't help on choice of winches, but

MOSFET stands for Metal Oxide Silicon Field Effect Tranistor. A MOSFET is a reliable, cool-operating transistor for amplification of and electrical signal. I can imagine, but don't know exactly, how one works in a winch.

Colin

"Some day this war's gonna end" :-|

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions