Anyone weld on a bolt on diff guard? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 12th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Jeff B.
Anyone weld on a bolt on diff guard?

I have two bolt on terrafirma 5mm diff guards and was told once that one should not trust any bolt one diff guard, to weld.

My soon to go D2 has RTE welded on diff guards. No issues obviously - they are not going anywhere.

Anyone recommend welding the new terrafirma to the defender's diffs? Or, are the bolt-on diffs just fine? Anyone feel it is better to have them just bolt on "in case" you need to change them... My goal is to not have them ever fall off in use or just from time and vibration....assume I'll install them properly to torque, etc. Have seen these sorts of guards fall of Jeeps I know had good mechanics on them....

Thanks in advance. Sorry if this is an old question..did a search and found nothing on this aspect of things.

LR History:
110 hybrid (from a 90) NAS Defender "Oates" #1597
2002 D2 SE "Very Disco" (sold)
1993 RRC LWB "The Beast" (sold)
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers
I had bolt on Safari Gard diff guards. I ran them bolted on and every time they took a hit they popped off. Welded them on and had no issues at all. Weld them on.

Do not read the next sentence.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'93 NAS110 #463
D-90 Source Vendor
I tack weld all bolt on diff guards. Once you lose one on the trail and bash your diff you'll realize it's a good idea.
"The most unreliable car in the world is the most reliable car in the world." -Jeremy Clarkson refering to the Range Rover

Wolf Fabrication
Semper Fi!
Old May 12th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
Careful with the tack welds and their placement. Think about how the guards will shift when hitting rocks and make sure they are in stable placements before welding-- a simple tack weld could cause the point of failure if poorly placed and can either poke in or pull out holes in the diff if poorly placed. Mine are welded. For bulletproof, search sewer cap and/or contact Keith at Rovertracks (renamed to roving tracks)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions