anyone using Mobil1 15W50 ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 11th, 2004, 02:07 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

anyone using Mobil1 15W50 ?

I've got a few cases of this from my Series days and would like to use it in the D90 this Summer.

I usually run 10W30 but Castrol Syntec 15W40 has also been recommended.

Anybody using it???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2004, 07:40 PM
javelinadave
-
-

That's all they use at Land Rover North Scottsdale! It should work fine thru the summer but I don't know if I personally would use it during your cold Boston winters....
Old May 11th, 2004, 11:45 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

I have recently been told that my new leaks came from running synthetic. Anyone with similar experience?

I am thinking of changing everything back to Dino oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

One of the guys I've been talking to about my new 5.0 install says the Buick block was built for dino oil tolerances and never changed. That said, I'm probably going to start out with 20/50 Castrol in the tummy of the beast....
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:37 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Aren't Land Rover supposed to leak? It is like having a constant oil change, out with the old and in with the new. It also coats your undercarriage with a fine coat of oil to prevent rust and when mixed with dirt and time it cakes on and holds everything together, thats why I never clean the engine or undercarriage. If I did the truck would most likely fall apart. I am sticking with synthetic. I can't imagine a Land Rover that doesn't leak. I had a 1988 4runner with 220k miles on it and only changed the oil and spark plugs and wires. Changed the brakes once and never changed the clutch. And it never leaked oil or left me stranded.
MAN!! talk about a boring car. Oh and I could also spend the money I saved on other things like climbing equipment, skis and kayaks. Now it all goes into the Land Rover. Who needs that stuff anyway? Well enough of my stream of consciousness rambling.
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:54 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Yea, I purchased my D90 last June. It had minor leaks and most likely used dino. When I switched to synthetic the leaks magnified.

Of course, the leaks can be cured by a full gasket job and that's the right way to go. For me, leaving the benefits of synthetic to cure leaks isn't the answer.

I've also been told of a synthetic that's good for leaks: Mobil Delvac 10W30/15W40. I will look into this further.
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:51 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
FWIW the independent rover shop that I entrust my rover to (Rover Club House) says that they never use synthetics in the engine because of leaks. Like Doug, they also run 20 w50.
Old May 12th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

FWIW 15/40 especially 20/50 seems a bit too thick. This is just my gut feeling.
I think Mobil Delvac also comes in 10/40 or it might be the Shell equivalent Shell Rotella (sp?).
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:29 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

What, you mean a synthetic engineered to produce the "anti-leak" buildup of rotten dinosaur guts?

How the hell did all that oil accumulate anyway? I remember studying it in school but that's all prolly a bunch of caca. I think humans must have come to Earth in a trillion-inch wheelbase Land Rover and it took a leak on this little dirtball.
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:25 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

you guys have me worried...

I just recently went down to an 'oil change shop' (I usually do it myself but...) and they didn't have any 10w-40 which I normally run down here in high temperature Florida... so the guy said that 20w-50 would be just fine. It's AMSOIL High Performance Synthetic 20w-50 to be exact... if that makes a difference.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 13th, 2004, 11:47 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

I've been recently following a newsgroup on engine oils. There are several guys there who live for oils (go figure). Anyway, they generally back up what they say with oil analyses, cutting oil filters apart, etc. It seems that synthetic oils tend to harden the seals, and that's why you get more leaks. They generally recommend running a good dino oil unless you're looking to run extended drain intervals or need good low temp qualities. Based on what I've read there, I'm running Mobil Delvac 1300 in my 6.5 diesel (after previously running Amsoil synthetics).
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Nicholas, The AMSOIL 20/50 synth in Florida sounds great! Don't change a thing. Isn't the first number the relative 'thickness' of the oil, and the second number it's 'viscosity'? It's the thickness our old Buick blocks need.

Wicks, LMAO! Only a few will groc.....

DW
Old May 13th, 2004, 01:28 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Sakurada
It seems that synthetic oils tend to harden the seals, and that's why you get more leaks.

So, wouldn't you rather fix your seals in order to use synthetic? Just the protection it affords in an overheated engine condition is enough for me.

Of course, there's always the startup benefit.
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I changed to synthectic when I bought my truck and haven't had any leaks whatsoever. I was told the rear main was leaking @ the time of purchase, but until two weeks ago, I hadn't had anytime to look at it. It turned out to be the oil pan and not the rear main. I run AMSOIL. If your looking for a good dino oil try PENTOSIN. Uber german oil at its finest.

As far as the seals, I wonder if some of those additives that soften seals are compatable with synthectic? Curious because I was told that once you go to synthectic you really shouldn't return to dino. Is this the case? Anybody have a reliable answer and a reason behind it? After looking at the Pentosin, their stuff seems just as nice as syn and if it will prevent future leaks why not?
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I have used Mobil 1 in every vehicle I have owned since 1992 and have never had an oil leak. For the record my 90 has 140,000 miles and I have used Mobile 1 since 57,000 miles and it is still dry. I think people get leaks and just assume it is the oil based on internet rumors.
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:36 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Well I should've known better than to throw out ( or forward) a blanket statement. My apologies. As with a lot of things, there are several factors that could cause a seal to leak: seal material compatibility, age, cleanliness, damage, wear, etc. So it's no wonder that people have differing experiences. But rubbers such as Buna-N, EPDM, Viton, etc have different compatibilities with certain chemicals. So I can see where some seals could be affected by the chemistry of the oils. Unfortunately (AFAIK), you can't choose your seal material unless you're willing to pay to have custom seals made. So probably the only way to know if you have a compatibility issue is to know what your seals are made of, and the additiives that are in your oil - probably too much of a hassle. Use what you like, and be happy.

I decided to go with a dino oil for several reasons: lower cost (I can get Delvac 1300 for around $6/gal at Walmart), I change my oil frequently due to soot and lots of stop/go driving, I live in a warm climate so I don't need low temp properties, and lastly, the high temp properties of Delvac 1300 are as good or better than Delvac 1 (Mobil's equivalent synthetic that is highly regarded by lots of people in the diesel world) which is important since I have a turbo. And if my seals stop leaking, all the better.
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:56 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I use the Mobil 1 syn. I dont think my leaks have gotten better or worse. I think it is a good product.
Old May 13th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Ramsay
Andrew Ramsay
1995 Defender 90 ST

I switched over to Syntec 20w50 at my last oil change 2,500 miles ago. Syntec was recommended to me by West Coast British as a good oil for year round use in the San Francisco Bay Area where it is pretty mild. I honestly don't know much about oils but I can say that I have had no problems whatsoever in the last bit of time.

Andrew
Old May 13th, 2004, 11:08 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Craig, that's an interesting stat. Maybe it is agressive greenlaning that gets the tbox leaking. Hmm.

I've used Mobil 1 since about 2 years ago, but the leak sprung about one year ago.

What about a stop-leak formula mixed in there????
Old May 13th, 2004, 11:13 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Stop-leak?! Come on now...just replace the seals. Even if you go custom surely the cost can't be unreasonable - where talking gaskets here.

I don't mind the leaks, except when I use the driveway!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions