anyone using hand throttle on 300Tdi? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 2nd, 2006, 08:20 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

anyone using hand throttle on 300Tdi?

thinking about installing one...hard to do? useful? on real cold mornings it might be really useful for warmup...
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2006, 09:58 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I have one on a 3.9. Easy install, useful when using a winch to make a little more electric, and with a manual transmission it sort of gives you an extra foot for the throttle.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 10:06 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

You need to get a diesel up to speed to generate heat. A high idle at 1300 or so can keep the coolant at around 150-degrees but that's barely warm enough - certainly not hot.

A Cummins buddy of mine relayed the official stand on this: Cummins does not recommend a high idle because of carbon buildup throughout the motor/pump.

An Eberspacher type coolant preheater works to get the truck going in the coldest of mornings but even when it's up to temp the heat output is good not great. Again, getting the truck up to speed is what you need.

I have found the following in my setup on a Tdi with a Euro AC: the blower motor control on this consists of two switches - one for the blower motor and one for the AC temp. Both are used to control AC output and temp. However, if only the blower speed is used ALONG with the stock heater control (to the right of the cluster) you get much better air flow and heat - yes, through the AC vents!

My system is plumbed so the heat output from the stock heater flows through the AC blower vents. The problem I see with the stock system (without AC) is the whimpy blower motor. I would guarantee that fitting a better matrix with a higher speed blower will make a major difference in heat output.

The only difference in my system is the addition of the AC blower in the loop. In fact, this must be turned on to get any flow as relying only on the two pass-through holes directed down to the feet get you no flow at all.

With this setup I have found that after a wait time of 15-20 minutes (driving, not idling) for good, hot air the flow/temp is then ALMOST as good as my 97 D90.

It appears the Euro AC system is different from the NAS as I've never heard of anyone else mentioning this.Now, my installation may not be the Euro norm. It was done at Cityside so I don't know the details. It is definitely worth exploring if you have AC and a Tdi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:27 AM
mhill
Mike Hill
95 D90 ST / 91 RRC Hunter

I saw this unit in action on a recent trip to Iceland. It was in a TD5 110 set on a timer every morning. Went to the Webasto dealer in Reykjavik for more info. It is called the Tandem 717 Heating system on this link. Great set-up for extreme temps. No idea on the pricing here, every thing is expensive there.

http://www.webastoshowroom.com/images/truck_trifold.pdf
Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:49 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Yes, the Eberspacher also has one - I have it but it's only good for those who have a daily or weekly schedule.I use mine for diagnostic purposes only, plus it has a clock.

I ended up installing a remote control to control the heater on/off. Unfortunately, the one I used (cheap, short range) worked fine in testing but now I need to be close to the truck for it to activate. Ideally, you want to be inside your home so a real good one good to 1000-feet will work. Yes, I know it won't give me 1000-feet but 300 will easily do.

The Eberspacher has such a remote but it's $300! Should be able to do it for $100.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:59 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
I have one on a 3.9. Easy install, useful when using a winch to make a little more electric, and with a manual transmission it sort of gives you an extra foot for the throttle.
what was the installation procedure in detail?
Old December 2nd, 2006, 08:23 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

It's been several years ago but the one I used is LR, it's a choke cable with knob, probably for a Series truck. There is a spot on the steering column for it to attatch. Then I think I routed it through the bulkhead along side the speedometer cable. The throttle linkage has a spot for it to attatch. It is expensive because it is genuine LR but it made for an easy install.

Oh yeah, it's elegant too.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 10:03 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I installed the Rover hand throttle to my tdi setup. I mounted it on the same arm below the existing throttle cable by about 1/2". Seems to work well.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:43 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
So I take it that I would have to remove the steeting column under panel, attach the pull knob, route the cable down and thru the firewall, and attch to the throttle arm?
Old December 3rd, 2006, 08:10 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

That's it. In the shop manual the plastic housing around the steering column is called the nacelle for what that's worth. The throttle cable came with a diagram for the install IIRC.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:42 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
thanx

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi