Anyone Using an ODYSSEY PC 2150 in their 90? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 22nd, 2006, 08:53 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Many people have rust issues with the "fins" that the j-bars attach to. Mine are completely rusty and I did not even use them for the stock batteries. If they were fresh, I bet they would hold alright in any but extreme circumstances. But in that extreme circumstance, I certainly don't want a battery with a 5000amp short discharge to be loose. John's point is well taken and he probably is right--I just worry too much probably...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2006, 08:05 AM
Maine 110
Ware/Jesse
Recovering 110 Owner

Why not use two Odyssey PC -1500's they are only slightly larger than the standard group 34 Optima which allows them to mounted side by side in the battery box. With a proper battery switch like the Wrangler NW you can link them together or keep them isolated with a flick of the switch.

http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=ODY-PC1500-T

http://www.wranglernw.com/pc-6372-79...1993-1997.aspx

Wrangler sells the battery manager seperately for @ 2-300$ You dont need their tray to mount the batteries side by side. If you dont want the switch then wire the batteries together for simplicity and have your 240 minute reserve all together.

Odyssey batteries are the best batteries out there hands down, The Optimas are a close second, everything else I have seen is just an imitation. The Odyssey is the consumer version of the Hawker which is used by the US military in many military trucks, all the Wolf Defenders use these batteries although in a larger format for increased reserve capacity.

Jesse

Recovering NAS 110 Owner.

There is a thin line beyond which you really can't fake...
Old September 23rd, 2006, 12:21 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
On the CCA, in reality I don't believe it matters much above 600 Amps in my experience. The starters can't draw nearly those loads. I live in a place that reaches -40 and never have seen differences in starter performance between batteries in good conditions despite large changes in the CCA rating.

Is reserve capacity a test that is equivalent amongst manufacturers? I know the A-h rating follows a set test, so is comparable.

Here are mine

Hey John,

You are probably right about the CCA ratings, but I always figured the higher maximum they were rated, the higher the real world output would be in any given situation. Honestly, the only thing the CCA rating means to me is how efficiently the battery can run the winch. Given the toll a winch can take on a battery, the higher the better. And obviously the greater the reserve capacity, the longer it will provide the amps.

Reserve capacity is suppose to be standardized at a 25 amp load placed upon the battery, and the capacity in minutes determined by how long it takes to draw the voltage output below what is considered discharged (I believe 10.8 volts, but don't quote me on this). Many manufacturers will show the spec as being reserve capacity at a 25 amp load, and some also show it at lower loads as well. So you can figure that running an ARB fridge for the night only draws maybe 4 amps, so this load would take roughly 6 times as long to discharge the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
The seat box in the 90's slope, with the front being the tallest. I measured with the battery standing up and at the rear it just barely, if at all, fit. You might be able to make it fit, but it was too close for me and did not want to waste any time since I was planning on making a strong bracket for it to hold it down anyways. Don't even think of using the stock holes to hold this thing down--it is really, really heavy. Something like 75lbs. The battery and cardboard box weighed in at 82 lbs. Off road with josteling, you need to make sure it does not break free--this thing is way above spec's for that stock battery box.

Let me know if I can help further.
Thanks for the update Davis. I'll have to do some measuring around I guess. Seems really wierd that Interstate would recommend a battery as such a tight fit, but wiered stuff has happened. I wonder if anyone still has a factory group 31 battery in their truck that would be willing to measure it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine 110
Why not use two Odyssey PC -1500's they are only slightly larger than the standard group 34 Optima which allows them to mounted side by side in the battery box. With a proper battery switch like the Wrangler NW you can link them together or keep them isolated with a flick of the switch.

http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=ODY-PC1500-T

http://www.wranglernw.com/pc-6372-79...1993-1997.aspx

Wrangler sells the battery manager seperately for @ 2-300$ You dont need their tray to mount the batteries side by side. If you dont want the switch then wire the batteries together for simplicity and have your 240 minute reserve all together.

Odyssey batteries are the best batteries out there hands down, The Optimas are a close second, everything else I have seen is just an imitation. The Odyssey is the consumer version of the Hawker which is used by the US military in many military trucks, all the Wolf Defenders use these batteries although in a larger format for increased reserve capacity.

Jesse
Hey Jesse,

That is an option that is on the table (mentioned it in an earlier post actually), but I have to make sure they will fit with the other items I have in this compartment, as they are almost an inch longer. I was just considering the PC2150 for the simplicity of a single battery, and no needed battery management solutions. Of course I could just hook the PC1500s up in parallel as one big battery, but that has its drawbacks as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:22 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Scott,

Did you end up going with the Odyssey 2150? If so, how did you mount your?

I like the simplicity of one good battery, not having to use a battery management system.

FYI: I called Batteries Plus a few days ago, I was told that this battery has been discontinued. Obviously with a little sleuthing, it's possible to get one.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 01:28 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
Scott,

Did you end up going with the Odyssey 2150? If so, how did you mount your?

I like the simplicity of one good battery, not having to use a battery management system.

FYI: I called Batteries Plus a few days ago, I was told that this battery has been discontinued. Obviously with a little sleuthing, it's possible to get one.
I ended up going cheap for now and just getting a wet cell Interstate commercial battery. I still think the PC2150 will fit upright, but I didn't want to shell out the bucks for it to find out it wouldn't. I got the
Interstate 31-MHD (different suffix has the auto terminals, couldn't find it on the web site). It has a 195 min reserve (@ 25 amps) and 950 CCAs. I got it for $89 from a local Interstate warehouse, and it fits int eh stock location with no issues.

One day I will get a pair of PC1500's in there...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 01:56 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

I have also been reseaching the Odyssey PC2150. It seems like a stout solution. Regarding fitment, the guys at EE say it is a clean fit: "The PC2150 drops right into the Defender's battery tray." The pic below seems to verify this...

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/odyssey/

Anyone else using a PC2150?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	odyssey004%20002[1].jpg
Views:	161
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	10927  
Old June 6th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Talk about reviving an old post! But, I just wanted to give an update. My battery is not holding charge as it once did, and I am in the market to replace it. I am going to do another 2150--it lasted 9 years of strong use. That is great in my book. They said it was built to last 10 years... close enough for me....

Edit: First my math sucks--I've had it for 7 years. Second, I replaced the battery and I still have a sluggish start--so you get OVER 7 years use, LOL. I screwed up--I should have kept it in there longer and done more checking (I checked the charging system and grounds and they are all 100%--but I didn't check the starter) but I have had so many things go wrong lately that I jumped the gun in order to at least have a solid starter. I know better--I should have swapped another battery (or added a jump) to see if the problem with the battery. Now I have to go outside and kick my own ass...
Old June 6th, 2013, 08:47 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
No doubt. I'm on year 4 of the 2150 after switching from a dual bat setup. Been solid. Very please with it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags