anyone used the nissan oxygen sensors? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 15th, 2006, 10:31 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

anyone used the nissan oxygen sensors?

has anyone used the nissan o2 sensors from the parts substitution in the tech articles? if so how did they work? little hesitent to use these (but i was hesitent to use the cadilllac fuel pump also-but it turned out great and looked almost identical to the genuine one and no rewiring just pluged in)thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I am not sure about the O2 sensors--but I am curious if you saved your part number from the fuel pump--I want to get one as a spare since I have about 80K on mine. Thanks!
Old April 15th, 2006, 12:14 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

i used the Nissan O2 sensors on my 91 Range Rover - just had to splice the Rover connectors on the ends of the wires. The Nisan sensors I got had very long leads so there was plenty of wire. Worked great and cost about half of the best price I could find for Rover sensors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

As long as it's the right threading and number of wires, you're fine. I have a couple part numbers actually for you.

NTK: OTD3G-3A1
11014T12 is another part number from lambdasensor.com that is listed to fit.
Not sure the manufacturer on that one.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:51 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
I am not sure about the O2 sensors--but I am curious if you saved your part number from the fuel pump--I want to get one as a spare since I have about 80K on mine. Thanks!
I just replace my fuel pump with a Carter # P74006 from NAPA, the part with some hose and clamps plus a new strainer cost me less than $100. The electrical was a direct plug in, no splicing.
Old April 15th, 2006, 06:56 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

wow, bookmarked this thread! some good stuff...
Old April 15th, 2006, 06:59 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

i picked up the nissan ones at napa-they have 3 wires and i will check the threads in a little bit-it is a bosch part($62 per sensor). and the fuel pump is the onerandy b. posted
Old April 15th, 2006, 10:34 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

the threads are the same- just want to confirm its a titania senesor
Old April 15th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

From what I have been able to dig up, the 12mm threads are only used for titania sensors, and never Zirconias or lean burns at all.

-Hans

Old April 15th, 2006, 11:28 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

so hans you are guessing these are titania. the bosch web site said only 0.5% of all o2 sensors made are titania
Old April 15th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

This is true, but also don't forget that almost all of them are 18mm threading.

But do you have the bosch part number? I can see if it cross references..... though I haven't found the Titanias yet on the big bosche list I have.

-Hans

Old April 16th, 2006, 12:28 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

bosch # 13021 the nissan part # 22690-61a00
Old April 16th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Ok, I did manage to cross reference the original Nissan applications for that Nissan part number. The chart I found lists it as originally from a Nissan Pulsar NX Titania from 1987. It also lists a generic part number that cross-references to a 12mm Titania 3-wire number I have from other sources.

It seems that a lot of Nissan cars over the years have used Titania sensors.

-Hans

Old April 16th, 2006, 09:39 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

hans-do you see any reason this would not work?
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Should work fine. Though I highly recommend soldering and wire splices you have to make. Don't just crimp anything, otherwise it will start to corrode and that will cause the readings to start going all goofy on you.

I also did some searching, and that Bosche part number came up a lot in reference to Land Rovers and as a suitable replacement.

-Hans

Old April 18th, 2006, 02:25 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

well i took the plunge and chopped of the plugs to the nissan sensors today(no returning these things now)when i started the 90 with the new nissan o2's it seemed to have a better sound to it(maybe just me) and i thought it ran better for the first 8-10 miles but after that back to the same symptoms. and i drove about 35 mile on them today and got home-remove the o2's to take a look at them and now both sensors are covered in the black stuff.any other reasons it would be running rich (and crappy)like this?should i chalk it up as a $130 lesson for the team and try other ntk o2's(by the way one of the nissan o2s had ntk on it) -
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Are you sure all your cylinders are firing correctly? I would start by pulling all the plugs and inspecting them and while they are out running a compression test on each cylinder--start simple and go from there. There are a lot of things that could cause this and the very nature that your old set and these new ones have the same issue makes me lean toward them not being the cause...
Old April 18th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I'd also trace the white wire, which is the switched ground for the heater elements. Make sure that they are getting activated. They should come together, and then a single wire run to the fuel pump relay. If the relay has a bad terminal, or the connection for the heaters is corroded, it could possilby cause that.

In your case, the relay should be under the passenger seat I think, next to the ECU.

-Hans

Follow-up Post:

Just as a side question. What was up with the fuel pump originally?

-Hans

Old April 18th, 2006, 02:34 PM
d901560
Brian B
94 ST

To follow up with what Hans said, I had a problem last summer when the fuel pump relay got wet and started to corrode. It still ran the fuel pump for a while before it died completely, but the truck ran bad, especialy at idle and it frequently stalled. The check engine light came on too. Once I replaced the relay everything has been good. Also, be careful to use the right relay. I once replaced my relay with a cheap one from Autozone and it left the O2 sensors heated and ran down the battery so the truck wouldn't start.
Old April 18th, 2006, 06:17 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

hans-"what was up with the fuel pump" wasnt getting any fuel,checked it at the fuel line where it meets the fuel rail and it was just trickeling out.i could hear the relay cycle and someone said i should be able to hear the fuel pump also but i heard nothing from the fuel pump (with the new pump i can hear it turn on, so i know what they were taling about when they said you should be able to hear the pump) so i dropped the tank and replaced the pump and filter

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
sensor