Anyone try Michelin XML's? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 18th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Lebowski
John Lebowski

Anyone try Michelin XML's?

Just wondering if anyone has experience with the XML tires? Or if you've seen them perform on someone else's vehicle. Thanks.
http://www.defendersource.com/tire/mich.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Don't know too much about the XML's but I have seen the XZL's, they have a hard compound and stiff sidewalls, they are a tuff tire but they don't flex that well. I would say they are similar traction wise to a BFG MT, maybe a little less from what I have seen, but due to the stiff sidewalls the slip on rock a bit, and they don't have much in the way of sidewall lugs to help. I think they are ideal for vehicals going over ruff teraine carrying heavy loads, like going on safari or something.
Old September 18th, 2005, 07:45 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

Lots of the Unimog guys I deal with (myself included) have XL's or XML's, and they are more than happy to get away from them. I know for the moggers with 20" rims there are much better options for tires, I would point people at the XZL of XL before the XML. BUT, they are all super heavy with THICK tread and sidewall, so re-grooving is easily accomplished, check out Pirate for people grooving the XL's, there are tons of pics, includin some grooving the sidewalls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Lebowski
John Lebowski

I want to put the 38" XML's on my dd and trail 1ton Suburban. At the moment I have 39.5 Swampers but they are wearing fast - I love them in the mud and snow though. I wanted to get some XML's because they are surplus 90% tread and alittle less than 1/2 price of a 39.5 Swamper. The fellow is holding them for me until next week, so doing all the research I can on them. I was thinking of really grooving them and sipping also to improve their performance.

I did look at Pirate but many of those fellows are using the larger 41" tires and up for rocks and such. Not much dd input from those users. My friend has 41" XML's on his dd F250 but I don't think his D44 will last long. He hasn't driven on them much yet to give useful feedback. His 41'sare way too heavy, even for a Dana60 front, plus a 20" steel rim doesn't help either.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions