Anyone Running Koni RAIDs on a D-90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 4th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Anyone Running Koni RAIDs on a D-90

Have to ask. So far I've seen guys running them on 110s and Discos. If on a D-90, how was the ride on paved roads, dirt/gravel roads and washboard dirt roads. Have OME HD springs all around, tires are 265X75R16. Have to make a decision really soon.

John C...You get my email?

Thanks guys. I'm still a beginner so would appreciate as much input as you have time for.
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Just out of curiosity, how much are they?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 5th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Just out of curiosity, how much are they?
Not sure. The Heavy Tracks are $132 ea (I think) so the RAIDs are probably more. Still shopping around, if you can call it that. Seem hard to locate in the States. But that may just be my ignorance. Googled for an hour an gave up. John C said he sells them but I can't find them on his site. Again...probably me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake
Not sure. The Heavy Tracks are $132 ea (I think) so the RAIDs are probably more. Still shopping around, if you can call it that. Seem hard to locate in the States. But that may just be my ignorance. Googled for an hour an gave up. John C said he sells them but I can't find them on his site. Again...probably me.
I gotta ask, what makes these good? To me they *look* like a cheap shock. I was curious what they were so I googled them and I noticed from the pictures that they are non-reservior and still use the old-school rubber/poly bushings. I thought maybe they were cheap, but with them being up in the $150 range, you could get a reservior FOX. But you can't really tell a book by it's cover, so maybe there is something there I just don't see?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

I don't know. Seems the people that have them love them. 4X4 Parts says Konis have an awesome reputation. I may need a fully adjustable shock. Need something that is good on the street but will also allow me to haul ass on washboard dirt roads without rattling myself into the ditch. Confused. Have been reading for weeks and the only firm decision I have is tire size....255X85R16. Wanted American Racing Teflon Rims but they don't have the LR bolt pattern. No, am not rich Just want to only touch each section I restore, one time, and do it right. And I have a real aversion to anything that will rust. errrr. I know, LOL
Old January 6th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

If you like the teflon coating you could buy standard steelies in the LR bolt pattern and have them Teflon coated. There are a few places in LA that do it. The total cost would probably be the same as the American Racing. Those things are pricey!

Back to the Koni, maybe somebody can chime in. It even looks like the eyelets are welded on to the shock. Most now are machined.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 6th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

As mentioned on another thread, I have RAIDS on an RR LWB and a 110. I've competed in the NVTR 6 times (won 3) and the RAIDS are the best shock I've used so far. NVTR is two days of hi-speed, with lots of big whoops, rock fields and some washboard. Previous shocks were OME and Koni Heavy Tracks which were very similar.

Scorpion Racing has them on the site, and you can drill down on Koni's site to find RAIDS. John C. at 4X4AG.com sells them in the US.

DW
Old January 6th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
As mentioned on another thread, I have RAIDS on an RR LWB and a 110. I've competed in the NVTR 6 times (won 3) and the RAIDS are the best shock I've used so far. NVTR is two days of hi-speed, with lots of big whoops, rock fields and some washboard. Previous shocks were OME and Koni Heavy Tracks which were very similar.

Scorpion Racing has them on the site, and you can drill down on Koni's site to find RAIDS. John C. at 4X4AG.com sells them in the US.

DW
Doug,

I've read quite a few of your posts. Incl. the long detailed article on the NVTR. Read every word. Interesting and cool. Treasure hunt for adults. There's a guy in Germany with a HD 110 running RAIDs too. Am just wondering about the handling/response to the lighter D-90. Maybe it doesn't matter.

Buck,
What kind of specialty shop would apply the teflon? Paint/Autobody?

Anybody... Does a shock have to be adjusted, once, before install...Or is it something easy to do after they are mounted. Eg. One setting for the city, and another for wheeling? Probably depends on the shock so lets just say...Fox and Koni RAIDs. Can I sync the shocks to my music so I can go across the plains hopping to MM's "Shake that ass!?" (Just kidding on the last, am seriously ignorant about shock adjustment though)
Old January 6th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

[QUOTE=Shake]Buck,
What kind of specialty shop would apply the teflon? Paint/Autobody?QUOTE]

I work in the Aircraft machining business where most parts after they are made are sent out for paint or treatment. There are many processing companies that can coat in almost anything. Teflon would not be a problem for them. Most of the shops here are located in Compton, but I bet most major cities would have some. Don't know the price, but if you have your heart set on it, it is possible to get it done. I can get you the names of the shops here. Personally, I think they look very cool, but I doubt they do anything for you. It's not like you going to feel the difference with a little sand stuck to your wheel. I got my last set of wheels in a matte finish and they look the same as teflon. They were around $60 a wheel.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 6th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Bob,

The Koni's are adjustable, but you have to 'turn' the barrel of the shock to make the adjustment -- which requires that the shock be off the vehicle, or at least one end has to be disconnected from the vehicle. Best to adjust them prior. Your vendor should be able to adjust them prior to shipping.
Old January 6th, 2007, 09:02 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
why teflon coating ? do you not want your pancakes and grillled cheese to stick??
Old January 6th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
why teflon coating ? do you not want your pancakes and grillled cheese to stick??
LOL I knew that was coming. Was really (I'm serious) thinking "non' stick" just like cooking eggs. Am thinking about ease of clean up of mud after wheeling. Buck pretty much has me talked out of it. It's not about looks though.

May end up spraying Pledge furniture polish on them (I'm serious) after a wash. The wax really makes for an easy cleanup of the wheels. Learned that trick from an F-16 maintenance guy..They spray it on the wheels for ease of clean up. I do it on my Sequoia and 4-runner. Brake dust and stuff comes right off.But that's just for the front of the wheel...And the back?

Buck,

With the A/C machining experience I can see where your attention to the construction comes from. Thank you.

Doug,
Having a tough time contacting the vendor. Also, your NVLT report mentioned a broken shock on the LWB RR. Was it a RAID? The "Shock amputation" comment reminded me of when my ex threw my ass out of the house. Was definitely lop-sided...Maybe that was a Nut amputation. Errr, Gotta go
Old January 7th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

The shock mount broke, not the shock...

Just persist, Adrian and John C. are hard to reach sometimes.

DW

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90