Anyone ordered the "ABS plastic" outer wings/fenders? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 28th, 2010, 12:42 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Anyone ordered the "ABS plastic" outer wings/fenders?

RTC6350, RTC6351, RTC6352

They are $113, $130 or $199 each from RN or 50-58UKP from LR Series. Why one is $200 and one is $130 from RN when they are the same price from LR Series is beyond me, but I think RTC6351 and RTC6352 (the $113 and $130 ones) will work maybe I have to buy a plastic intake grill or something but I suspect not.

They appear to actually be plastic.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-6...93-94-nas.aspx

Are they any good or junk? They are genuine land rover.

Ron
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Hmmm, interesting. I'd stay away from them just due to the difficulty in painting and the fact that stock aluminum ones are the same price or cheaper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old June 28th, 2010, 07:55 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Ron,

For your 83 or the one you are building?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2010, 02:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Either Dave. Where to you get aluminium ones for cheaper? I *assume* they come ready to paint, or at least most plastic body panels from other manufacturers do.
Old June 28th, 2010, 09:07 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I saw them in person at the RN booth last year at MAR. they were cool but not sure how they hold up..
Old June 28th, 2010, 09:23 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Were they in primer? I hate to call Les as I think I am out of favors after ordering a couple dozen really oddball parts. It is so bad that when he says "roversnorth, Les speaking" I reply "Hi, Les, it is your least favorite customer" and he knows exactly who it is.
Old June 28th, 2010, 10:55 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

I've painted the ROW Defender plastic eyebrows with good success if that helps any.
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Les should be kissing you ass. In this economy any order should be considered a good order and anyone who owns there own business that doesn't feel that way should look in the mirror.
Old June 29th, 2010, 12:24 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Les should be kissing you ass. In this economy any order should be considered a good order and anyone who owns there own business that doesn't feel that way should look in the mirror.
I think I gave the wrong impression. Les is great and is always willing to spend the time to find the hard to find parts and get it right and is very pleasant to work with. I just don't want to bother him if someone else knows about these things. I have spent a bunch of money at RN recently, it just ends up being a ton of stupid stuff and a few bigger ticket items. I mean where else can you order the special bolts and spacers to mount a fuel tank to a NAS 110, a million little clips and screws and stuff etc. They also have good prices on genuine stuff. I have gotten to the point where saving a few bucks is not worth the time and headaches on a lot of things.
Old June 29th, 2010, 05:34 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Ron,

I purchased a proper 200tdi fender with the side vent from rovers north a few months ago and it came in black primer but it was alum.

The reason I asked what truck you wanted it for is I have a perfectly straight LH fender in Stratos blue off my 1984 90. It has a few nicks in the paint but it would be the proper color and it is nice and straight.
Old June 29th, 2010, 09:08 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I was planning to hang it on my wall but if you could use it and it would save you from having to paint then I could be talked out of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fender (1).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	28906   Click image for larger version

Name:	fender (2).jpg
Views:	137
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	28907  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fender.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	28908  
Old June 29th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Where to you get aluminium ones for cheaper?
$130 for L or R from RN. So about the same price. Unless the plastic ones were free, stick to OE. You are not drving a Saturn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Errr, plastic ones are Genuine LR. Doesn't get more OE than that. Given how readily the alloy dents when in contact with trees and the like, the plastic stuff might be nice. They should take paint just fine with the right primer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
$130 for L or R from RN. So about the same price. Unless the plastic ones were free, stick to OE. You are not drving a Saturn.
Old June 29th, 2010, 12:06 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

I got a 'plastic' front 'frame radiator grill' (ASJ7100100) when I went to the A/C version. It's not bad. Pre-primered, so I don't see painting being an issue - no more so than painting aluminum (it's still in primer black which actually looks OK up front on a white vehicle). Time will tell how it holds up to the vibrations of a diesel, but so far, so good. I was a little disappointed in it not being metal, but once installed, there's no way to tell.

BTW, I have the original metal one (non-A/C) still - I'll get around to listing it eventually.
Old June 29th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16kpsi View Post
I got a 'plastic' front 'frame radiator grill' (ASJ7100100) when I went to the A/C version. It's not bad. Pre-primered, so I don't see painting being an issue - no more so than painting aluminum (it's still in primer black which actually looks OK up front on a white vehicle). Time will tell how it holds up to the vibrations of a diesel, but so far, so good. I was a little disappointed in it not being metal, but once installed, there's no way to tell.

BTW, I have the original metal one (non-A/C) still - I'll get around to listing it eventually.
Those are all fiberglass or as the brits call them "grp"

The plastic outer wings actually strike me as a "why didn't they do that sooner" item. A bit of flexible paint additive and you should be good to go. This has been the one spot where these trucks are easily damaged by the lightest of touches-those outer wings crease if you look @ them too hard.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old June 29th, 2010, 12:36 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson

Yes - definately GRP or FRP. White, fibrous, .... and itchy - as I had to modify some areas. Same stuff the Corvette has been made of for decades - stiff. Not flexible. (Saturn uses true, flexible 'plastic' - much like our fender brows - which DID have paint adhesion issues, but FRP is a different animal. Paint adhesion to soft polymers can be easily fixed with certain additives or special primers - like SEM Plastic prep).

I agree - no issues with plastic. In a 'hard touch' it'll fracture vs. crumple - but by then you are gonna be needing a replacement anyway. Soft touch it'll probably hold up better. I like the idea of metal but in reality, I think you're right Doug, plastic could be better. Can we get doors in them????
Old June 29th, 2010, 02:08 PM
evilfij
evilfij

All the extended rad panels ones were fiberglass or grp or at least the ones on NAS 110s and an 80s 110 are.

So I think I might order a set just to see.
Old June 29th, 2010, 02:25 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Yup, all the A/C front grilles were GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic)

Not seen those plastic fender sides here before though as a genuine LR part.... only aluminium ones listed in microcat... so them being "genuine"... hmmm... (need a "rubbing chin" icon)
Old June 29th, 2010, 02:31 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson

Ron, your original post said "ABS...". If they are, that is going to be more like 'Saturn' plastic fenders than the FRP A/C fronts - which will take a little more paint care as well being more flexible. Tougher though...

I'm curious which they are.

Always fun being the Guinea Pig....
Old June 29th, 2010, 02:35 PM
evilfij
evilfij

They say "ABS" plastic on RN's website. If they were grp, they would be worthless.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wing