Anyone make their own cages? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 21st, 2012, 10:40 AM
gomotomoto
adam
None

Anyone make their own cages?

Just curious if anyone here has fabricated their own cages. I'm thinking of doing up my own. I can TIG weld steel without issue but still working on my aluminum skills. Might be a cool project for my new 110 doublecab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2012, 10:49 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I do a lot of cages for off road and racing, but when it came time to build a cage for my 110 I went with a Safety Devices cage. I did the math on the labor and time involved to build mine, and I was almost a tie. Rovers are not as easy as most car and trucks. Limited interior space, frame placement, and a weak bulkhead are key contributors.

But if you are up for the adventure, go for it! Do you have a tubing bender?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old December 21st, 2012, 10:57 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have seen a few custom cages to replace the ST Cage for hard core off road or complete the cage with a fast back...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2012, 11:14 AM
gomotomoto
adam
None

3k installed I thought I could give it a go on my own but after hearing its a wash...

Do these ever surface up used? I know the truck already has unicorn status...
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:32 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
Do these ever surface up used?
If by used, you mean parted out from junk trucks, then yes, they do. But you'll almost never see them for sale anywhere (you don't just look on ebay for "used defender cage" ) - they merely change hands.

In the words of ECR - these things once put on trucks are never taken off.

If your real question is, "How do I get a full exocage for my truck that costs $500" then you'll have to get in line, sorry.
Old December 21st, 2012, 12:00 PM
gomotomoto
adam
None

Yes I understand that this can't be had for 500. That would be ridiculous. But in the scheme of things 3k installed is definitely not good value or accurately priced compared to other fabrications that are similar.

Am I the only one that thinks they are overpriced? Once the jigs are set up I can't imagine it being too difficult.

Fabricators that work on boat t-tops and towers could probably make this up for about half. Ill pursue that route first.
Old December 21st, 2012, 12:20 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Do you want a quality cage to keep rocks and trees off your head or do you just want to keep the rain and sun off your head.

WolfFab pretty much nailed it. It takes time and skill to do it right. Unless you have a friend with the right skills who is willing to work for cheap, it's going to cost you a bit to do it right. I'd estimate over $500 in materials alone for the cage on my 109.
Old December 21st, 2012, 12:25 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
Yes I understand that this can't be had for 500. That would be ridiculous. But in the scheme of things 3k installed is definitely not good value or accurately priced compared to other fabrications that are similar.

Am I the only one that thinks they are overpriced? Once the jigs are set up I can't imagine it being too difficult.

Fabricators that work on boat t-tops and towers could probably make this up for about half. Ill pursue that route first.
No fabricator besides P&P and SD have jigs for Rover cages. There is very little demand here in the US to compete with SD, let alone the justification to make jigs.

I don't think the cages are overpriced, even if they have jigs. They are generally cheaper than what it would cost me to build in my shop, which is why I usually turn away Rover cage requests.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old December 21st, 2012, 12:38 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
As Jonathan says, the added cost is in lack of demand.

Another thing - there is a huge cost associated with the cage feet, the cage to frame supports and brackets. Attempting to fabricate these components is difficult - especially the cage feet, which are radiused plates that match the curvature of the body panels.

I wish it were just bent hoops, notched tubes and some mig welds.

By the way, if $3k is too much, then look into P&P's cages. They should come in at under $2k for the cage only.
Old December 21st, 2012, 12:48 PM
Squaretyre
Landan
94 d90

Registry
I did my own after daughter rolled original cage and say go for it if you have the time and interest. You'll notice the stock cages are not of the best type of steel anyhow and recommend D.O.M or chromoly if afford. I changed the style so can walk through w top off but still install cross bar for original soft top to fit. I used stock mounting points so can be unbolted from body but didn't make the cage unbolt able in 15 places like original.
It was fun if you have the time and interest.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2839955944.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	485.0 KB
ID:	63144
Old December 21st, 2012, 03:26 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

landen nicely done
Old December 21st, 2012, 03:40 PM
d110pickup
Mike Pado
'97 D90 ST #1153

Landen,
That is a nice looking cage, will you poat a few morw photos?
Thanks,
Mike
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:25 PM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
There are a few here:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=41733
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:47 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

If you want to simplify, then go for a full exo-cage mounted onto H/D rock sliders. That'll make things allot easier as you won't need as many custom brackets for the front 'A' post legs etc.

When I lived in the UK, I got the curved tub top plates from these guys.... http://www.tomcatmotorsport.co.uk/
Not sure of they still sell them though, was 6yrs ago. P&P sell the cage connector brackets on their Ebay site here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roll-Cage-...item2303caea10

Invest in a copy of Bend-Tech Pro V6, it'll save you money in the long run... you could always sell the tube cutting plans to cover the costs ;~)

Have fun !

BTW, pic's of my cage in my build thread here http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=36827
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:48 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
When I lived in the UK, I got the curved tub top plates from these guys.... http://www.tomcatmotorsport.co.uk/
Andy, do you know anyone who makes those in North America or currently in the UK?
Old December 21st, 2012, 06:19 PM
Squaretyre
Landan
94 d90

Registry
Hard take pics of cage when on truck but here's a couple more. Couple soapbox comments with cages. Although recommend trying ones self or with friends, make sure you have someone w experience either building race cages or even decent welder on your welds if at all uncertain of you workmanship. If one does buy aftermarket think of your cage like a motorcycle helmet, I wouldn't buy cheapest one I could find.

Off the soapbox and a couple more shots. Again have fun mixing it up. This will fit stock soft top and hopefully Badger if can get one.

Name:	image-260761500.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	460.4 KB
ID:	63163

Name:	image-264206669.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	63164

Name:	image-2292601155.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	451.2 KB
ID:	63165

The top hoop bar is the stock one for soft top and "plugs in" like stock. Someone inquired on remaining stock bars. Most are bent but will sift through and see if any "worth saving" again a little nervous on any "tested" roll cage parts as they could have been compromised when rolled.
Old December 21st, 2012, 08:01 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Andy, do you know anyone who makes those in North America or currently in the UK?
P&P make them for their cages, if you give them a call they might sell you some along with the cage joints... worth a try. Try Tomcat too.

You could just buy a P&P cage kit... they do a 130 double cab already, a 110 should be no problem http://www.ppcages.com/?page_id=106&pid=342#WPshowroom

Shipping would prob be a bit $$ but one option is to try the UK Ex-pats web forum. You might finds someone emigrating in the new year that's bringing a container stateside.... hint hint
Old December 21st, 2012, 09:55 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

form and funtion nice
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:31 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

That is good lookin work.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 07:12 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I have press dies for the SD type connections and the cage feet. I think they are on Overland Engineering FB page under "mudbug"(sorry I'd link it but am pretty useless with a phone lol). Could probably crush some if there was any demand.
I make cages too but only in house and not cheap. All DOM and all built to crash.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cage