anyone know a welder/fabricator for NAS to POE? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 19th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

anyone know a welder/fabricator for NAS to POE?

I am putting the finishing touches on my NAS soft top to NAS POE conversion and want to see if I can make two critical parts available so others can do this too. As it turns out, a Rest Of World hardtop will fit easily on an NAS soft top but the front external roll cage needs two short pieces so that the longitudinal tubes above the windows will have the ending pieces that bolt to the hard top. I am making a CAD drawing and want to have someone make these pieces so I can try them out to make sure I did the drawing right and then, if there's interest, post the info and CAD drawing to the appropiate section of this site...like I said, if there's interest.
So, anyone know a fabricator?
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2007, 06:46 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Hey George - are you just "flexing" the NAS hoop to attach it to the roof sides? And D90 hardtop fill fit, and I just drilled the one I got for the roll cage attachment. I thought about how to attach the hoop to the roof sides and in the end just sourced out a NAS SW roll cage so that it would fit properly and have the internal cage to support it. I wasnt super-fond of the POE roll-cage-bolted-to-top set-up. I talked to Roverhybrids back when I was considering what to do, and it ended up being cheaper to buy the NAS cage than to fab an interior cage and make extensions for the roll hoop.

This sort of thing sounds like its right up Jim Cirbus's alley though.
Old July 20th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Hi Jim,
There isn't any flexing of the front hoop involved. It just needs the two new "ends" to bolt them to the top. I used to have a real POE and didn't mind not having the internal roll bar. the SW roll bar I purchased was a piece of junk and was bent so I couldn't use it, but I don't mind. Hell, the rest of the world doesn't have roll bars inside, why should I? anyway, the usefulness of the liftgate for hauling long pieces of lumber and so on is what motivated me to go ahead with this. I assume you bought the SW cage used? what did you pay for it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2007, 03:26 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I got the cage complete for 1000, obviously used. Obviously much more expensive when bought as separate pieces from LR.

All the POE's I've seen (only in pix) have the roll hoop tilted forward slightly because the horizonal rail on the SW is an inch higher than on the ST part. I didnt dig that look.
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

no need to tilt the roll cage at all from what I can tell...when I get a chance I'll post a pic.
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:52 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jim is right. The horizontal bars over the door on a st are lower then that of a SW. Therfore, the POE cage is a ST cage and the horizontal bars over the doors are on an angle up in the rear to kind of match up with the roof and so as not to hit the roof drip channel. I know this cause I have a ST cage on my truck and a ROW hard top. You can sweak it up to work like LR did for the few POE's but I would look into the other option for sure and sell the ST front hoop. At least get a SW front hoop. IT would then fit perfectly onto the roof...
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

My soft top front cage fits on my euro hardtop with no angles involved...like I said, I'll post a pic this weekend.
Old July 24th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

here's the pix

I haven't drilled the bolt holes to permanently mount these roll bar ends, but here they are "dry fitted" in place...see, no bending of the front roll cage needed! anyway, these are the parts I want to see if I can have fabricated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rollbarend2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	9867   Click image for larger version

Name:	rollbarend1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	9868  

Old July 24th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
From the photos your cage appears to fit the same way the one on my 94 POE does. Best of luck with the install.
Old July 24th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
If you haven't drilled the holes in the top yet, why not run the roll cage tube along the length of the roof and use it to attach a roof rack. I have seen in done in Land Rover mags.

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 24th, 2007, 06:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would be interested in a set of two of the POE brackets if you get them made. I am sure there is a market. Did you call mike at west chester to see if he can get them?

Ron
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

these short POE brackets don't exist as far as I have been able to find...I cut down a pair of SW tubes...

Grover...that is a really interesting idea...hmmmm....
Old July 24th, 2007, 08:53 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

My '94 ST converted to a ROW hard top has the tilted side bars. I wish they were straight, it would look a lot better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BlueLakes-5.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	9872  
Old July 25th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

So, does anyone know who might fabricate these parts from a CAD drawing?
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
Bring your cads to a steel detailing shop and talk to them about having them fab it for you. If you were here in FL I could recommend a few places. I'm having my rear tire carrier remade by a local steel fabricator. Cheaper to have one bent and welded up from the example than to buy a new one from LR or any other source. Figure I'll lay a number of coats of rust resisting paint or bed liner on it and it's good as new.

Btw Krylon Rust Tough Enamel paint flat black matches the existing powder coat pretty well but you'll probably just want to spray the whole thing to make it look uniform and I'm sure there is some rust you'll want to clean from some spots.

S-P
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

S-P,
What is the generic name for such a shop, like what would the yellow pages file them under?
Old July 25th, 2007, 06:31 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

What size tires are those?

Gary..

I was looking at your POE rollcage bars picture and saw that your tires absolutely fill the rear wheel well and I was curious what size are they.

Apologies for tangenting off this thread.

Clark
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:34 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
From your pics George, you can see that the bar above the window is a st bar. If someone with a SW took a pic, it would be a few inches higher and sit even with the drip rail. The bar that loops around the window is whats different. If you were to keep this setup, I would have a cage guy lenghten the uprights on the windscreen hoop and then adjust the side bars and re weld them. You just need the measurements from a SW. IT looks much better.. Anyone that does cages can handle this type of job.
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Thanks Randy for the further info on the diff between the ST and SW...however, I must say I don't mind the way this looks...that being said, does anyone know of a "cage guy" in the midwest? I don't have a clue how to find a shop like that...I know there must be several in the Chicago area, but I just don't know how to find em...help anyone?
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
Sorry for not getting back to ya sooner. If you look under welders in the phone book you should find some places that will do the fab work. It may take a little calling around but you'll get one. Also if you google chicago welding shops you'll get a plethora of shops.

best of luck
S-P

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
nas