Anyone have experience with this suspension setup - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 15th, 2009, 01:59 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
I currently have heavy duty OME's that the previous owner installed. Is this a good set up? Isn't it a bit overkill to have HD shocks & springs unless you're transporting cement or something on a daily basis? It's really stiff. Any little bump and it rattles like crazy.

Thoughts?

Depends on your truck set up IMO. SW top + 4 jump seats, tools, Rockware bump/winch+ sliders+ roofrack + miscl accessories, is a lot more weight than a regular ST. Been running HD OME all around for years, doesnt seem harsh IMO/no rattles. Always glad to have the HD especially when loading add'l pass and gear to the truck in it's present configuration, as sag is minimal. Offroad personally I like the extra stability over extreme flexibility in a "expedition" frame of mindset in the station wagon.

Of course if I were to go extreme offroading, i would probably dedicate a truck for that sole purpose were extreme flexibility and low weight would rule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks Mark, that's very helpful. All I have to compare with is the first car I ever bought which was a leaf spring Series III, which is why I'm asking. It feels stiff but then again, i'm not sure what is considered normal. I had it fully loaded on trails in Moab and I never had a problem with sag so I do appreciate that. I have no idea what springs I have on. Is there a way to measure them perhaps? brand markings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
Depends on your truck set up IMO. SW top + 4 jump seats, tools, Rockware bump/winch+ sliders+ roofrack + miscl accessories, is a lot more weight than a regular ST. Been running HD OME all around for years, doesnt seem harsh IMO/no rattles. Always glad to have the HD especially when loading add'l pass and gear to the truck in it's present configuration, as sag is minimal. Offroad personally I like the extra stability over extreme flexibility in a "expedition" frame of mindset in the station wagon.

Of course if I were to go extreme offroading, i would probably dedicate a truck for that sole purpose were extreme flexibility and low weight would rule.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:57 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Any updates on these new OME "Sport" Shocks? I need shocks, the simplicity of the OME is nice.
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:38 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Any updates on these new OME "Sport" Shocks? I need shocks, the simplicity of the OME is nice.
You mean the "NitroCharger Sport" or whatever? I've been wondering the same thing as I may be doing shocks/springs on the 110 soon.

Also wondering which OME springs to go with for the front (110, no winch, stock bumper, Tdi). Would like to get 1.5-2". Any suggestions?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:50 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Its been my experience that OME shocks have a little more travel that stock. As for front of a 110-diesel? Id go for OME med duty.

-Jeff
Yeah I've been leaning towards the OME 761s, but also heard the OME 764s (which are technically for the rear) may be a good choice too. Both are medium-duty.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:04 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post

Yeah I've been leaning towards the OME 761s, but also heard the OME 764s (which are technically for the rear) may be a good choice too. Both are medium-duty.
Tony B has that on his 110 I think, as I pulled a set of 764's off my parts Disco for him to help get ~3" on his front end. Not sure he quite got that but he's got bumper, heavy winch, etc. I'm sure he'll chime in.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:12 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Tony B has that on his 110 I think, as I pulled a set of 764's off my parts Disco for him to help get ~3" on his front end. Not sure he quite got that but he's got bumper, heavy winch, etc. I'm sure he'll chime in.
You're the man, thanks just pinged Tony for input.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:24 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
I had those on for a bit before I sold the truck. I really couldn't feel a huge difference. I guess they are slightly stiffer on high speed bumps like you get in the highway but I really could tell the difference as the truck is all over the place and still and loud to begin with
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions