Anyone have a 94, with ECU moved and no A/C? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 13th, 2006, 08:42 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Anyone have a 94, with ECU moved and no A/C?

I need a photo of the ECU and relay location.
Could someone email me one??
PLEASE!!
I am putting a 95 A/C in the 94 and didn't realize the computers would be in the way.

I want to know how to orient the ECU and relays

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

I'm in the process of having AC added to a '94. I'm having it all handled by British Car Service here in Los Angeles. I know that they ordered the parts around a week ago from somewhere back east. I'm not yet sure when the job will be done since I'm not scheduling the actual work until the parts have arrived.

Access to the ECU, on-board diagnostic display, etc are important to me so once I see what the fascia situation is I might have them moved to the box below the passenger seat like they are in the '95's

Once all this happens I'd be happy to post pictures of the finnished product.

One last thing.... In the tech section of this site there is an article about re-chiping the ECU in a '94. The truck had the factory ('94 model year) AC and the ECU was behind the AC fascia. I don't know if the '94 AC systems were the same as the '95s. Based on your post I'm guessing that they are not.

Wished I could be of more help.

-M

BTW, the tech article doen't have pictures but is informative anyway.
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:15 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Don't have a truck to take pics of right now, but when the dealers perform that AC mod they move the ECU and relays down to the kick panel to the right of the AC ( right next to the passengers right foot)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2006, 01:38 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Thanks
Doesn't look difficult to do, just thought if I had a pic I wouldn't be reinventing the wheel

Bryan
Old August 14th, 2006, 01:51 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Bryan,

that's where mine was too. It was on the right side of the passenger's side footwell and mounted vertically. The range rover diagnostic computer was all taped together and kinda crammed up in there behind it. At the time I didn't think that there was any way that it was factory in that location, but I think I was wrong. (By the way, it's a retarded place to put it if you ask me.)

I'd suggest moving it, B. Put it in your cubby box, or if you relocate it to your under seat storage area, make sure that you mount it well up off of the bottom. I know several guys who have thiers relocated there, but have them mounted on top of blocks of wood or something to keep them off of the bottom of that storage area. Use a ton of grease and put it in tupperware too.

I never relocated mine and as a result I went through a few ECU's while I had my truck. I ruined the first ECU by going through a car wash when the truck was new and I actually tried keeping it clean. One was ruined from rain water that leaked in by the door and run into the ECU. ( Oh yeah, after I ruined the 1st one, Land Rover installed a new one and put it in a plastic bag and remounted it to the footwell. The plastic bag was a genuine part. I swear to God. The bag was labeled and everything. It was a stupid "fix" for a stupid design flaw that should never have been in the first place. Oh, and did I mention, it didn't keep water out?) The last one was flooded with Dave Souza in the Green Swamp in Central Florida (remember that Dave? We buried the truck so bad that water actually came in OVER the passenger side door and swamped it.)

Relocate it. Even if you're not expecting to do deep water stuff like we have to do down here, it's still not a very smart place to put it, especially in a soft top. Either that or just get another Tdi...that's what i did. ;-)
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:03 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

That's funny as I bought Dave's A/C
I will figure something out....
Thanks
BT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ecu