Anyone had their 90 painted (by a pro)? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 21st, 2005, 10:49 PM
michael15
Mike Schlueter
1995 Red D-90

Anyone had their 90 painted (by a pro)?

I have considered (numerous times) to have my 90 painted. I see people with "babied" 90's and how nice their paint looks.

I am just curious if anyone has paid to have their 90 painted, how much it cost, was it a nightmare, and is their anything I should be aware of before handing it over to a paint shop?

Thanks a lot

Mike
michael15@mindspring.com
1995 D-90 Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2005, 12:16 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Have you tried rubbing compound and wax? If done right you can bring back the shine to better then factory. The best stuff to get is the 3M stuff, they make a rubbing compound and and wax, a good buffer will also help allot. Or I bet you could have it done for alllot less then a respray. My friend knows of a real good how to website that has all the details of waxing and buffing, I'll check with him and post the site.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 08:17 AM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Autopia.com has some really good instructional info. I've used the products here and am happy with the rejuvenation that it provided the Disco. The D90 is white and that paint color doesn't really fade too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:37 PM
michael15
Mike Schlueter
1995 Red D-90

I have been going down the "wax" road - and that makes it look nice for a couple weeks but eventually it gets dull again.

I am talking about a long-term fix AND a method for covering up all the nicks and scrapes that I have accumulated.

Just curious if anyone has spent the money. It seems like a tricky (thus expensive) vehicle to paint.

thanks for the ideas,

Mike
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:13 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Dave posted the site that my friend uses. Check out http://autopia.org/kb they have a good write up on waxing and buffing. But Waxing only is not going to make it look all that good, you need to remove the dead paint and build up that is on the paint, you need to buff/rubbing compound the paint to make it look good, then protect it with a few layers of Wax. I only know this much from my friend and the little bit that I did by hand on my 90, it looked a TON better only doing a quick hand polish and wax, and it lasted 6 months and thats with allot of mud and dirt bashing too.

Check out the pic left side is buffed and waxed, the right side has nothing done to it, there was also a large sticker the size of the ARB one in the pic that was peeled off after being on there for years and I was able make it so you could no longer tell that there was a sticker there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00230.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	3215  
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:17 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Hey Michael15...

I don't know if this is the same thing, but Jim Cheney, a member on the board just had his hardtop painted which I believe is aluminum just like our 'bottoms'...
So, if it's any help: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=5448

I'm also curious as to how it went... I'm sure I'll go down that road someday. I'd be curious as to 'how good' you can get a paint job to look on aluminum. Like taking Alpine White and adding many coats & many clear coats to make it better than new.

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:20 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
Hey Michael15...

I don't know if this is the same thing, but Jim Cheney, a member on the board just had his hardtop painted which I believe is aluminum just like our 'bottoms'...
So, if it's any help: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=5448
Nicholas
Jim's is a ST with a fiberglass top, not aluminum
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:24 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

doh!

I didn't take close enough of a look at it...

Wow... it is the fiberglass top !!!

Thanks Mike !

N

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:51 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Mike:

I sure hope that you can buff or polish your old paint. If not, then I can say from experience that painting yourself can be a bit of a character-building experience. I did paint my old Series 109 and BY FAR the most labor-intensive part is getting everything ready to spray. You must clean, AND I MEAN REALLY CLEAN, all the panels, then mask off everything that you don't want to paint and cannot take apart. This takes lots of time. Of course, my old truck was probably in much worse shape than yours is, so you might not have quite as much time spent on the prep work.

Set up a paint booth of some type so you don't have stray bugs, dust, cats, getting into your project. You will need to have a suitable air compressor and a good gun (probably the high-volume/low pressure kind), plus a really good mask with air filters attached to keep out the nasty fumes. Already you are running into some money if you do not already have some of these items.

If you decide you do not want to mess with the labor of actually painting, you might just take the prepared panels to a good paint shop that knows how to paint aluminum. At least all your prep work will save some $$.

If you do decide to at least put in the primer yourself, make sure to get an etching primer so it will adhere to the aluminum. This type of primer is not all that expensive. Spray everything you intend to paint well. Work only on those panels that you can handle at one time. Don't overextend yourself. If you had any runs, sand them out with extremely fine sandpaper (I used 1200-1600 grit).

Here again is another fork in the road where you can decide to take the panels into a paint shop. If you wish to continue yourself, then make sure everything is clean before applying whatever kind of paint you wish to use. There are several options here and you might want to check for color and type of paint before proceding any farther. The higher quality paints are expensive (some are like $80/pint not counting the additives and clean up chemicals and rags) and a bit of a bear for us part-time mechanics to handle, but they sure look great when put on. Depending on how proficient you are, you can use less than half gallon of actual paint for the entire truck, but if you make some mistakes, you will use more. Again, you can sand out any little mistakes with a very fine wetted sandpaper.

The actual painting does not take all that long. In fact, make sure you take your time and don't get impatient. The whole project took me nearly four months (mostly prep work) due to interruptions, bad weather, messy garage, mistakes, and the need to learn additional, colorful, anglo-saxon idioms.

Hope this info helps a little.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:01 PM
michael15
Mike Schlueter
1995 Red D-90

Any idea what a shop would charge!

thanks

Mike
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:12 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

You're going to get a huge variety - from $400 to $4000 or higher. The cheapie is the shop that turns the spray on and you drive through, and the higher prices are from shops that do a much better job than the manufacturer. You do get what you pay for in this case. Also, the higher prices are going to reflect all that pleasant taping and masking work described above Then you'll never venture off road again.

If your paint is really scratched off, you'll have to paint it, but you really should try clay and polishing and a good wax first. I was surprised at how many marks and scratches came out using those products.

Or you could just sand all the paint off and go bare aluminum!
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:00 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I took out the Porter Cable 7424 this weekend, along with the the pads from classicmotoringaccessories.com went to town on the hood. My hood has some badly stained and sunburned paint, but it still came out really well. There was one spot where the clearcoat is gone that just wont take a polish, but on the whole it looks much better than a defender hood should.

I'm a big fan of original paint because it always looks better than anything other than a top-dollar paint job. You can work miracles with rubbing compounds and the right polishing pads. Give it a try, you'll be really happy. Plus it costs a lot less than a paint job and you can use the stuff to detail your OTR's (Other Than Rovers).
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:12 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Call shops for quotes, and then if its in your stomaching range, ask to see work they have done (on aluminium). If you like what they have done one someone else's vehicle, chances are you'll like it on yours.
Old May 24th, 2005, 02:33 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Mike,
Good advise in the prior posts. Painting will be all over the place price wise. As david stated... you get what you pay for.
1. When you start to shop around, try local collision shops, off road shops, even the local LR dealership and ask for advise on where to go first.
2. Ask about options - type of primer, type of base, number of coats, number of sealer coats, exterior/interior (there is a lot of painted surface inside a D-90), doors off or left on, dash taken out,
under body coating.
Nothing smells quite like a car that when you open the door and look at the hinges you see another paint color.

A lok to think about and pay for here. Ask questions, and then think about what Mike posted on the wax. Have you looked into a full restorative car detail work up? There was a place when I lived in NJ that had a 3 day process which covered all visible painted surfaces, had God knows how many steps, and included several finishing protective coats. Not sure on the price, but it was over $700.00
Old May 24th, 2005, 07:09 PM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

I had my 95 ST repainted and it looks great. The prep is super easy in that I took everything off myself except for the driver seat. I took that off at the paint shop along with the roll bar. Everything un-bolts right off it does'nt take long to strip the car. The shop, which had a lot of experience w/aluminum charged $2500 and it was worth every penny. People ask all the time if its new. I also had the front bumper, rear bumper and spare tire carrier repainted in heavy duty black.

Good luck!

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0210.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	3220   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0212.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	3221  

Old May 25th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Kerr
Shawn

There are two types of D90 owners. the ones that use them, and the ones that dont. Here in town there are 3. one lookes brand new other there one has been useed (97 hard top) and a red convert that looks like it has been to hell and back twice. If i had a 90 i think i would want one that looks the part, scratches are not bad, they are battle scars. same can be said for dents.

If you wanted to be real differnt you could sand all the paint off, polish the aluminum and clear coat it have a delorian D90...
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:06 PM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

Painting

Forgot to add that when I had my 90 painted, they gave me a quart of leftover paint. I do use my truck off road and it gets scratched from time to time. But now, I just take a toothpick and fill in all the nicks and scratches I get with the leftover paint. The toothpick method works great and you really can't tell without really looking hard that it has been touched up.

Michael
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:38 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Michael - damn that pops! Did they paint the tub, floor boards, etc? If so, I'd say an excellent deal.
I might have to drive out to CO with the excuse of a paint job...
Old May 26th, 2005, 07:30 PM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

Paul - they painted the rear tub as well but not the front wells as they were in pretty good shape. By the way I wish I was still in Colorado. I live in the Coastal Carolina's and the 4x4ing is horrid compared to the Rockies. Michael
Old July 27th, 2005, 05:30 PM
michael15
Mike Schlueter
1995 Red D-90

Thanks To Everyone Who Replied To This Post!
Lots Of Great Info!
Stay Careful Out There - But Not Too Careful!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, paint