Anyone ever fitted a Mercedes engine in a D90 ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 18th, 2010, 12:00 AM
grasshopper
Tony Selario
Defender 110 1992

Anyone ever fitted a Mercedes engine in a D90 ?

Please forgive the cut and paste of this question, but I'm casting my net was wide as possible to get some definitive answers to my questions on this subject.

Even though I've already purchased a Holley carb, which means I am already pretty much committed to using a Rover V8 in my Defender 90, I am still very curious about other V8 options, given the less than enviable track record of all Rover V8's larger than the 3.5 liter.

There has been talk over at the Land Rover Owner website forum about the Mercedes 5.6 liter Model M117 v8 engine. This phenomenally powerful motor is apparently one of the more bullet-proof designs out there, and it dates back to 1991, when it was installed in the Mercedes 560 series cars.

Well, a link to the Mercedes discussion forum was posted at the other Landy site, and since I am getting a bit impatient waiting for a response to the barrage of PM questions I sent to the guy who claimed to have performed this transplant in the Merc forum, I thought I'd ask here if anyone is familiar with this transplant of a Merc M117 v8 into a Defender. Below is the link to the Merc column in which a passing reference is made to the transplant that I have now begun to obsess over.

S600 M120 engine - could I transplant it? - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Any information on this surgery would be great. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Robert Davis is in the midst of a 5cyl benz turbo diesel conversion on a classic. The issue is the benz oil pan shape. He's having a custom oil pan made.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:01 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I have a 3.0L 5 cylinder diesel I put in a Series III 109. I used the windage tray from the original sump and had a new front made for it because the wings will foul the front diff.
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2010, 09:27 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Jim Young from CT, www.seriestrek.com pioneered the Merc diesel conversion AFAIK and makes an adaptor. I know RD called him up for info and Jim found his questions fishy.
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:00 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I got my adapter from Jim. Mine was set up for the four cylinder and had to be modified for the five. It is for the series gearbox. He might be able to make one for a Defender box.
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:28 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Epic fail Buckny

I suggested to RD he call Jim and exchange nformation. You do not have a very good track record with RD. Maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself.

I bought one of Jim's adapters some time back and have not had oppurtunity to utilize it yet. It appears to be similar to a German style adpater of the same purpose. My understanding is Jim does not want to make anymore anyway.

The OP is asking about a Merc V8 Why clutter his post with diesel banter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY View Post
Jim Young from CT, www.seriestrek.com pioneered the Merc diesel conversion AFAIK and makes an adaptor. I know RD called him up for info and Jim found his questions fishy.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old January 18th, 2010, 12:28 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

If you wish discuss my experience with RD and his business dealings I would be happy to privately. I have never bashed him publically. There's 2 sides to every story and perhaps you should hear them before bashing me.
Old January 18th, 2010, 12:59 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY View Post
If you wish discuss my experience with RD and his business dealings I would be happy to privately. I have never bashed him publically. There's 2 sides to every story and perhaps you should hear them before bashing me.
No you just inferred a question of his charcater and motives. The previous post and this post.

I am not really interested in your version of anything related to RD. I have heard accounts from him and others about your antics. And I see how you carry yourself around here. So I have already formed an opinion on the matter. Doubt there is anything you could add to that.

This is better left to a PM or just dropped. This man has a legitimate post looking for information about a Merc V8 conversion.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old January 18th, 2010, 01:48 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
This is a bit of highjack but I always thought this merc engine conversion would make the LM002 a very cool daily driver.

http://www.luxurylaunches.com/transp...p_for_sale.php
Old January 18th, 2010, 02:05 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
This is a bit of highjack but I always thought this merc engine conversion would make the LM002 a very cool daily driver.

Love the LM002. That Brush Bar is HUGE!

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old January 18th, 2010, 03:35 PM
grasshopper
Tony Selario
Defender 110 1992

Thank you very much for the links you have supplied here, guys. I can see that I've got a lot more homework to do yet, before I attempt this swap. I finally got an email from the guy over at the Benz forum who had mentioned the 5.6 liter M117 Merc engine conversion for a Landrover, and it evidently does require a custom oil sump, along with some welding and modification to the oil pickup plumbing, to move it rearward so as to clear the front axle.

Even with all these hurdles, I am still determined to one day soon attempt this engine conversion. The M117 Merc engine does supposedly run trouble-free for much longer than the Chevy 350 or the Ford 298 V8 motors more frequently dropped into Landrovers, while getting much better gas mileage than the 350 or 289. Oddly enough too, I found that 5.6 liter Merc engine in a local breakers yard going for less than the cost of a Rover 3.5 liter V8.

One minor quibble is that I would have preferred to run this engine conversion with the Landrover manual LT95 four-speed gearbox, but I have been advised to go with a Range Rover auto tranny for best results with the M117 Merc V8. This surgery is definitely way more involved than I originally assumed, for sure.
Old January 18th, 2010, 04:04 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Does merc use a ZF auto like the rover?
Old January 18th, 2010, 04:50 PM
grasshopper
Tony Selario
Defender 110 1992

I must confess I am not familiar with the ZF tranny designation, Evilfij. Dave from the Merc forum did say that a custom machined "flex plate" would be needed in order for the M117 engine to properly match the Landrover torque converter. Now that he has started to explain this conversion, I sure hope I don't wear out my welcome asking him too many questions that give away how little I really know.
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:50 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

My understanding is that the ZF auto found in land rover V8s from 1986 (and a certain limited number of 200tdi and 300tdi discoveries and RRCs) is a somewhat common transmission that, in other varients, is behind Jag motors and I believe certain mercs and BMWs and maybe some other european cars.
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:47 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:

I don't think anything could ever make LM002 a daily driver. Rode in one with Trevor G's dad one day when I was at the shop. The shifting looked painful with the shifter up high and near your elbow.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old January 19th, 2010, 02:50 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quite a few MB's used a ZF trans.
Old January 20th, 2010, 05:30 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Tina Turners conversion was an auto trans. Seemed to make it a more practical driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover View Post
I don't think anything could ever make LM002 a daily driver. Rode in one with Trevor G's dad one day when I was at the shop. The shifting looked painful with the shifter up high and near your elbow.
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:32 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Tina Turners conversion was an auto trans. Seemed to make it a more practical driver.
Ok that might make it better.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old January 21st, 2010, 04:04 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
My understanding is that the ZF auto found in land rover V8s from 1986 (and a certain limited number of 200tdi and 300tdi discoveries and RRCs) is a somewhat common transmission that, in other varients, is behind Jag motors and I believe certain mercs and BMWs and maybe some other european cars.

This is true. I'm sure Pendy can confirm this as well. The hydraulic ZF was used in a number of vehicles/manufacturers.
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:35 PM
grasshopper
Tony Selario
Defender 110 1992

As a footnote to my search for a more powerful V8 to transplant into my D90, I have learnt from the guy who has carried out the Merc M117 conversion that the torque of that motor is way too much for stock differentials and gearboxes, and that I will wind up having to replace them frequently.

That timely caution sent me back to square one, which is to settle for a stock 3.9L Rover V8 with a Holley 470CFM Truck Avenger carb as the only after-market item bolted on. My delusions of automotive grandeur have finally been put to rest. Thanks guys for the responses, which all contain information I may well use down the road when I get the mood to experiment again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, engine