Anyone else using an AGM battery ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 9th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Anyone else using an AGM battery ?

I went into the local battery warehouse with the intent to buy the largest battery I could fit in the seat box as the one in the Tdi failed to start it the other morning. We took measurements and went and looked @ what was available. The salesman got me hooked on an absorbed glass matt battery. He said they discharge slower, are more likely not to be hurt if fully discharged like a lead acid would, and in general are stronger batteries that don't sulphate up like lead acids do over time. He said they are the "new technology". Now that I'm out $180 does anyone else have any experience with these ?
I haven't done any research but is this what oddesey and others are or are they gel lead battery's ? Just curious.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Most 'sealed' batteries are AGM or gel cells. AGM is really the only way to go, Optima is the most popular brand. With any battery the trick is maintaining it, get a decent microcontroller charger and hook it up when you're not using the vehicle and it will maintain the charge and keep things healthy. The more you keep it topped up the better for the lifespan. I've been pretty poor at this in the past, but you can get decent 12A microcontroller chargers these days for $30, it's a good investment.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
AGM is the only way to go. I've been using Optima's for years. I have two yellow tops in my truck holding strong, but they'll be the last yellow tops.

Based on multiple recommendations and the editor's choice aware in Overland Journal (last edition), my next batteries will be the Sears Diehard Platinum's, which are AGM and like Optima yellow tops but better, stronger, faster, sexier, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
This one I bought is a Deka. Much larger than the red and yellow tops- approx 14 inches long.
Deka is what all the watermen around here swear by brand wise so I went in search of a Deka and got hooked into the AGM.
I'm old school, bigger is better with batteries.

http://www.autobarn.net/eas9agm49.html

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 9th, 2010, 05:12 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

I purchased the Diehard Platinum 31M http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=xsite_DieHard a couple of months ago after researching for days. A few days after purchasing it the Overland Journal article mentioned above came out confirming my research and decision. It is by far the best battery out there right now. It is a rebadged Odyssey battery for about 100 bucks less. Granted its not the sexy red color that the Odyssey is but when its under the seat doing its job I tend to forget its there and the color doesn't seem to affect the way it works.

We have been camping several times and I'm able to go 2 days with the ARB fridge plugged in without starting the truck to charge it. I tried that once with our jeep which has a blue top optima and it was dead.
Old December 9th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespierce View Post
I purchased the Diehard Platinum 31M http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=xsite_DieHard a couple of months ago after researching for days. A few days after purchasing it the Overland Journal article mentioned above came out confirming my research and decision. It is by far the best battery out there right now. It is a rebadged Odyssey battery for about 100 bucks less. Granted its not the sexy red color that the Odyssey is but when its under the seat doing its job I tend to forget its there and the color doesn't seem to affect the way it works.

We have been camping several times and I'm able to go 2 days with the ARB fridge plugged in without starting the truck to charge it. I tried that once with our jeep which has a blue top optima and it was dead.
Actually, it's more equivalent to the yellow top than the red top, and when you match the figures up, it actually has more crank and storage than an equivalent yellow top.
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:45 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

I've been reading up on these new Lithium Iron Phosphate (lifepo4) batteries they are using in motorcycles to cut the weight. They are super small and offer a huge amount of CCA. Also the CCA gains strength each time you use it continuously because the battery heats up and cranks harder. Obviously these are for motorcycles and the crank on a 1000cc is a lot different than a V8.

I hope one of these manufacturers makes one for a car soon because I would like to try it out.
http://www.antigravitybatteries.com/batteryspecs.html
http://www.turntechbattery.com/TurnT...y/Welcome.html
http://mavirykdesign.com/products.html

Sorry, that was far off subject, but whatever.
Old December 10th, 2010, 10:17 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

There's nothing stopping you, just wire enough of them in parallel to get the reserve capacity that you require. OK, cost might be stopping you, but Solar Cars have traditionally used about 1400 NiMH AA cells soldiered together into brick-packs and those work.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old December 10th, 2010, 11:29 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Two of these will fit into the compartment.........this is about the limit I believe

They are "mirror" images so the "+" poles are facing one another.

These have been great and seems like others really like them too.

Odyssey 34R-PC1500 34R-PC1500
PC1500RT AGM Sealed
Non-Spillable Battery

Odyssey 34M-PC1500 34M-PC1500
PC1500MS AGM Sealed
Non-Spillable Battery
Old December 11th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Unless things have changed a lot, most sealed batteries aren't AGM. Or at least a lot of them aren't. Maybe with Optima, Exide, Deka, Sears Platinum, Odyssey etc there are enough on the market it is now "most", but there are a lot of sealed batteries that aren't AGM. I have a Platinum in my Disco that I installed after my Exide Spiral cell finally died after 8 years. The warranty and specs of both are better that Optima, not to mention the bad reputation of Optimas of the past few years. The Platinum is the best of the 3. I've never really checked out Deka. As for the Lithium ion, there are some for cars, but last I looked they cost about $2,000.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old December 11th, 2010, 09:06 AM
budz
sal gorriceta
various rovers

Doug, I have extra brand new Optima yellow top, just email me if you need it.

Sal
Old December 11th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by budz View Post
Doug, I have extra brand new Optima yellow top, just email me if you need it.

Sal

Thanks Sal but I'm good. Pretty sure I could weld with the CCA's this one has.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 13th, 2010, 06:41 PM
OptimaJim
Jim McIlvaine
None

Hello, I noticed your conversation regarding our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. Although our batteries and many others (both AGM & flooded) are considered “sealed” batteries, all batteries can vent gas in extreme situations. For that reason, we always recommend that any battery installed in an enclosed location be properly-vented to the outside. Our group 27, 51, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose. Although people do it anyway, we would never recommend installing an unvented battery in any enclosed space, because there's a legitimate, albeit unlikely, safety risk involved.

For example, IF there is a voltage regulator failure, and IF the battery is severely overcharged, and IF this goes unnoticed, and IF the battery vents because the internal pressure exceeds the release pressure of the vents, the gasses are both flammable and toxic. This may sound like a lot of “ifs,” but attorneys and engineers get paid to plan for every worst-case scenario.

Since Doug mentioned the “g” word, I should clarify that gel batteries and AGM batteries are two very different technologies. In most situations, Optima batteries can be treated and charged just like any other lead-acid battery. However, “gel” or “gel/AGM” charger settings should be avoided, as they will not fully-charge an Optima and could damage it over time.

AGM batteries in general are a superior technology, when compared to flooded, lead-acid batteries. However, they can sulfate if they are discharged and left below 12.4 volts. As Andrew indicated, proper maintenance will extend the life of any battery and a quality battery tender or maintainer is an excellent investment for any vehicle that does not see daily use.

Larger batteries will generally provide more of everything- cranking amps, reserve capacity, etc... However, because many of these batteries are used in commercial applications or abusive, deep-cycle applications, the warranties can sometimes have numerous exclusions, like minimum voltage levels or a limited number of cycles and shorter warranty periods. You can view our warranty information here.

I cannot speak for other manufacturers, but our BlueTops with light-gray cases are identical internally to their YellowTop counterparts, but come with one less year on the warranty, primarily because marine applications tend to be more abusive than automotive applications- lots of deep discharges, infrequent use and more neglect. If any battery fails from a manufacturing defect, it is likely to do so well within the first year of ownership, if not the first month. If anyone has any questions about our batteries, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Old December 13th, 2010, 07:11 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Hmmm, I'm impressed with by the fact that Optima took the time to offer up the information above. I do have one question for Jim though.

Preface: I'm not trying to rant or muck up Doug's post I'm just curious.

Is it Optima's standard operating procedure not warranty defective batteries imeditetly? I'll give you an example. After talking to an optima rep who provided the same information as above we choose the blue top grey case for our JK. After 6 mos of normal use it began to fail. We took it to 4wheel parts for replacement and we were informed that we would have to leave the battery overnight for it to be charged and tested. Needless to say I was a little put out Not only is 4 Wheel Parts 45 min from my house but we were now without a car for an entire day and would have to make a second trip to p/u our battery. If I had purchased a cheep Walmart or Orielly's battery they would have tested it and given me a new one on the spot no questions asked. So my question for you is... Is this an optima policy or a 4 Wheel Parts policy? This experience played a large role in my decision to spend the extra money and purchase the Diehard mentioned above.

Thanks in Advance!
Old December 16th, 2010, 10:13 AM
OptimaJim
Jim McIlvaine
None

Hi James, we encourage all of our retailers to properly charge and check all batteries that have been returned under a warranty claim. While the exact methods may vary from one retailer to the next, the general procedure involves attempting to fully-charge the battery before testing it. For larger batteries, the charging process alone can sometimes take several hours. The reason we do this, is because many of the “bad” batteries returned to us are actually just deeply-discharged and work fine, once properly recharged.

Store policies may vary from one retailer to the next and may even change based on who is working behind the counter when you show up on a given day. However, industry-wide, correct warranty procedure is to “charge and check” all batteries returned under warranty.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Old February 2nd, 2011, 04:33 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Update - Just installed a Diehard Platinum 31M in my 90,
Dropped right in with the stock battery tie down angle bar.

notes:
1) has 2 sets of terminals on the top - convient for hooking up the winch directly to a seperate terminal or Amps or both.
2) Heavy sucker ~75lbs quoted.
3) fully sealed
4) decent price ~$259 better than the odyssey 2150 ~$350

95' D90 - daily driver..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery