Anyone else have a 1983 County with original doors.......? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:50 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Anyone else have a 1983 County with original doors.......?

The RH front door of my 110 has a broken interior handle, and the entire mechanism is shot.

I'm looking for this piece

From what I've gathered, this was a 1983 and 1984 style handle mechanism for the two piece doors. After that, LR went to a different mechanism. Don't quote me on that though.

I'm hoping someone with a 1983 who has upgraded to push button doors has the door guts sitting around.

My other option is to replace the door skins and just go with the lift up handle mechanisms.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:11 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Jason, that sux. In hindsight that design was not the best. I've had a couple if mine give me problems as well. Funny as mine were both on the right side as well. I was lucky. Mine just needed to be lubed and tightened up a bit.

Good Luck, I'm sure there are ample parts hanging out there if you have some time.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:40 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Jason, that sux. In hindsight that design was not the best. I've had a couple if mine give me problems as well. Funny as mine were both on the right side as well. I was lucky. Mine just needed to be lubed and tightened up a bit.

Good Luck, I'm sure there are ample parts hanging out there if you have some time.

Clay
Thanks, Clay. This isn't a picture of mine. Just one I found on the internet. The handle is missing and most of the internals are mangled.

My guess on the RH side is just because of the extra use a if the RH side a RHD vehicle would have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:59 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Actually the second one of mine was a LHD. Classic Murphy's situation when it decided to stop functioning. The 110 was for sale and the buyer was trying to get his wife on board with the purchase. Everything was going well. They'd taken it for a long drive out to some local vineyards and the whole nine yards. When they pulled into my driveway the wife pulls on the internal handle and nothing happens. Long story short she eventually vetoes the purchase. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:06 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Classic Murphy's situation when it decided to stop functioning.

The 110 was for sale and the buyer was trying to get his wife on board with the purchase.

Long story short she eventually vetoes the purchase. .
Murphy was a feminist
Old January 23rd, 2014, 02:14 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Jason,

I have an 83 110. Mine came with that mechanism. I swithed mine over to the old-school lift-up handle and have the leftover parts I have been holding on to. I will have to dig for them. I'll look for them when I get home from work.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old January 23rd, 2014, 02:54 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

The handle is the same used in MG autos. I purchased new handles just a few years back from LRSeries for my '84 110 as I recall. I haven't installed them yet as other projects have superceded that work. I could look in my parts boxes for the actual part numbers if you want to acquire new bits.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 03:27 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Jason,

I have an 83 110. Mine came with that mechanism. I swithed mine over to the old-school lift-up handle and have the leftover parts I have been holding on to. I will have to dig for them. I'll look for them when I get home from work.

thank you for looking! I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzzzzzz View Post
The handle is the same used in MG autos. I purchased new handles just a few years back from LRSeries for my '84 110 as I recall. I haven't installed them yet as other projects have superceded that work. I could look in my parts boxes for the actual part numbers if you want to acquire new bits.

That would be great. If Forrest can't find his stuff, I'll be happy with new too.

Thanks guys!
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:35 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Jason, which part are you looking for? Just the handle or the whole mechanism?

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:37 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose609 View Post
thank you for looking! I appreciate it! That would be great. If Forrest can't find his stuff, I'll be happy with new too. Thanks guys!
Jason, my truck had all the internals, if all else falls through I'll have Dave send them to you
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:49 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Jason, which part are you looking for? Just the handle or the whole mechanism?
The interior handle and the internals. It opens and locks from the outside. The interior handle is broken, and the parts inside the door are bent to hell.

Thanks for looking!

------ Follow up post added January 23rd, 2014 09:49 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
Jason, my truck had all the internals, if all else falls through I'll have Dave send them to you
Jason, thanks! How is your truck coming along?
Old January 24th, 2014, 12:57 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Not bad at all; just left boise this afternoon, got in at midnight left at 1 pm today or I would've bugged you. Now I'm eating left over pasta on my stove with my dog looking on in Newport
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3607280735.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	483.3 KB
ID:	88501  
Old January 24th, 2014, 10:28 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
Not bad at all; just left boise this afternoon, got in at midnight left at 1 pm today or I would've bugged you. Now I'm eating left over pasta on my stove with my dog looking on in Newport
Yeah, buddy. Next time we'll have some whiskey. Let me know.
Old January 24th, 2014, 11:18 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
This is what I have. I should have the latch somewhere too. It's in a box somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0274.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	88530  

Old January 24th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Jason:

FWIW, I have the same doors/handles and am having issues too.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=50531

I had a local mechanic fix the inside locks so they stay up- then realized they no longer lock the doors.

Good luck!

Paul.
Old January 24th, 2014, 04:41 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
This is what I have. I should have the latch somewhere too. It's in a box somewhere.
Forrest, that is exactly what I need. Not needing the latch. Just those parts.

Shoot me a PM or better email jrose609@msn.com when you get a free moment

Thanks!
Old January 24th, 2014, 07:40 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose609 View Post
Forrest, that is exactly what I need. Not needing the latch. Just those parts.

Shoot me a PM or better email jrose609@msn.com when you get a free moment

Thanks!
Jason, just pm me your address. It will take a few days for me to get it out to you. Hope you're not in a hurry.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, original