Anybody tried DAP's stainless Y-pipes yet? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 27th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Anybody tried DAP's stainless Y-pipes yet?

I did NOT need this right now, but my 4 year old CATCO Y-pipe is rusting apart at the seams, and I'm sucking down carbon monoxide when I drive. So the D-90 is parked once again, until I can solve this problem.

The last thing I want to do is get another one of the same part, if it's just going to rust out like this. So I'd like to go stainless instead. NRP is not an option, after all the stories I've read about them. ECR is probably going to be top quality when it comes out, but they are not available yet. DAP's sales pitch sounds good, price is right, but has anybody actually tried one yet? I'm not in the mood right now to experiment with new to the market stuff if I can avoid it, but I think it's my only real option here.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
Hans, I installed a DAP on my NAS D110 around December 2006. Easy install, no problems, some rust color, but no scaling or holes. I would buy their y-pipe again. I put an NRP on my first D110, and then on my '97 D90. I think the NRP is good too, but decided on the DAP due to cost.
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old February 27th, 2010, 07:32 PM
skupetz
Gustaf Kupetz
NAS110, HCPU, Disco, Toylander, 2

It is not mandrel bent such as NRP, but for the money it can't be beat.

I bought mine for off roading more than performance so I didn't care. that being said it worked fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2010, 07:37 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Any pics of the DAP? Do they make a full set up including cat back?
Old February 27th, 2010, 07:50 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Disappointed to hear the Catcos crapped out so fast. I was considering that one.
Old February 27th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover View Post
Disappointed to hear the Catcos crapped out so fast. I was considering that one.
Well, just to keep fully honest.... I'm in NY. Everything rusts pretty quick here.

-Hans

Old February 27th, 2010, 10:46 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

Uh Oh! What's the problem with the NRP's, I just bought these cats from Rovers North!
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:03 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
There is also a y-pipe available through magnaflow now, but it links to what I think is an outside vendor. I don't know anything about it.

Hans, if you want a cheap solution to get you by, you can run up to West Point and pick up the old y-pipe off my 110. Its still serviceable.

Old February 28th, 2010, 12:03 AM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

That's funny, because that's how I have my RR set up w/the NRP Y-pipe and a stainless Magnaflow muffler. The stupid muffler is not even tarnishing, its actually rusting. What's up with that!!!
I think the NRP looks like quality stuff to me!
These problems with NRP, I hope its not in the cats!
Old February 28th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnthng View Post
These problems with NRP, I hope its not in the cats!
The issue that I have with the NRP is that i've read numerous places that the pipes are stainless but the fittings are not, which eventually rust. The cats themselves I haven't seen anything bad about them.

Jim: I appreciate the offer, but right now I've got nothing to haul them with. I'm sucking so much fumes right now trying to drive the D90, that It's parked until I get a chance to fix the problem. All this snow is just totally screwing me over when it comes to getting stuff fixed.

-Hans

Old February 28th, 2010, 12:16 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

I think NRP may have fixed the rusty welds and flanges (haven't heard that complaint in a while) but now the issue is inconsistent fit. Some of them fit ok, but some of them require struggling with a pry bar to fit on- these are going to crack eventually. It's tempting to make it fit once you're under there but believe me- it won't last as long as it should under that stress. If you have that issue with yours I'd suggest sending each one like that back to RN until you have one that fits without having to muscle it into place. Once you've got one that aligns like it should it will probably be fine. A couple of local shops have stopped recommending NRP for the fitment inconsistency issue because they can't afford the downtime waiting to get what they should have gotten in the first place. If/when you return yours hopefully you can go through RN and they won't make you go directly through NRP; it would be easier that way.

My D90 came with an exhaust leak when I bought it- it's more annoying than anything else. I'll probably go with the DAP unit when I replace it. The NRP is probably better once you get a good one; I just don't want the hassle.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Old February 28th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I thought Rovers North now made those NRPs in Vermont? That's what I was told (iirc) when I bought mine
Old February 28th, 2010, 12:46 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger View Post
I thought Rovers North now made those NRPs in Vermont? That's what I was told (iirc) when I bought mine

Not sure about that- I had assumed it was two separate companies as one of the mechanics I was talking to about this kept mentioning he was going to send this one back to "NRP"- and "NRP" had just sent that replacement back which still doesn't fit, etc. He didn't mention RN once. This was about 2-3 months ago- so maybe things have changed since then.?.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Old February 28th, 2010, 07:38 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
My main complaint with NRP is that there is no warranty. Their "lifetime" warranty does not apply to the y pipe. I had a problem with mine and was told to take a hike.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:53 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

The DAP Y-pipe is a good low budget deal. I put one of the first they had on a customers rig 5+ yrs ago and it still looks good now when I see the truck for service. Does not have the "performance" atributes that the NRP claims to have.

ECR has the best pipe in the business if only they were available (hint hint)

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:53 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post

ECR has the best pipe in the business if only they were available (hint hint)
Yep, that would be choice #1 for me as well. But I need a replacement, and don't have the ability to wait too long.

-Hans

Old March 1st, 2010, 10:32 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Just FYI:
The ECR systems are complete systems. We don't have Y pipes that work with your old muffler and tail pipe. So there is some costs to consider there.

The issue with the systems (and mail order) is the lack of space for the Y pipe and Random Tech cats. To date we have tried 3 SS exhaust manufactures to have them make the Y pipes of our design. I even shipped a 90 and a 110 out to one place in the mid-west to have them "confirm" the fit. They said it fit... it didn't.
So far not one has been able to get the quality control right in order to ship a Y pipe that will fit EVERY time. Some fit, some don't. Its the size of the Random Tech cats that is the issue. If you use a normal cat the pipes are not hard to make at all.

For us here, pipes that were a little off were/are never an issue as we can weld and such so we just adjusted the pipes as required and put them on projects making every one right. The Y pipe fit is REALLY tight and if you are off just a little the cats rattle on the frame. Like I said, easy to sort on a project we are doing, but not easy for DIY mail order, as we can't be making Y pipes all day. They need to be made out of house in order to get the costs down to reasonable levels. So until we find a manufacture that can make the pipes correctly the DIY/mail order versions of these are on the back burner.
We have another place we are working with now and it looks promising, but if they can deliver on what they say they will is up in the air right now, and will only be proven when they send me the first batch of 10.

I wish it didn't take so long to do these kinds of things. I hate wasting my time on this crap as much as you guys hate us not being able to sell this stuff.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:40 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Time to hijack

Hey Mike

When you become a mail order house can you start selling the rear speaker housings you make for your project 110s. I got nothing for that.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:46 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I have the NRP Y and have been happy with it. Like Mike/ECR said the fit is tight. I had a little wiggling to do to get mine in but it doesn't hit the frame. The only thing I worry about is clearance - they are tucked up there pretty good but I can see where a certain hit of a rock could bang them up.
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:01 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Time to hijack

Hey Mike

When you become a mail order house can you start selling the rear speaker housings you make for your project 110s. I got nothing for that.
All this mail order stuff comes down to time and money.
If the part is called for a lot then we make the prototypes and find a manufacture to make numbers of them. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. If we made them in house they would be far too costly for mail order. Things need to be cheapish for mail order and that usually means they have to be out-sourced.

We do offer lots of things, but the way we do it is by telling people that when we make the next set for truck X in the shop, we'll make 2 and send you one. But what happens with mail order is that the buyer wants the product the next day and wants a UPS tracking # by 5 pm, and that just can't happen around here with our work load.

I'm the same way, when I want product X for my boat or other type of car I want it the next day.

Its just not something we can do. If you have customer Y who has been waiting for his truck for months and has dropped 20K with the company, can you really pull a guy off getting that project done and out to him in order to make something for a mail order customer? My answer is no. In shop work has to come first. In most cases if the product is truly called for someone else will step in and take our design and make a mail order version because they have the time because that is all they do, and I'm fine with that.

I can tell you that we are now working with a new company that is likely going to take over our production of parts. So that will mean mail order bumpers, etc etc. More on that to follow.

OK, back to Y pipes.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
body