Anybody have an old junkie set of oil cooler lines? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 17th, 2010, 10:12 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Anybody have an old junkie set of oil cooler lines?

I can't afford the sexy setup that ECR offers (I wish). So I'm going to take a set down to a local tractor repair shop. But I'd rather not take them off my Defender and make it un-driveable.

Anybody have a beat up set sitting in a junk pile? I'd be happy to pay for shipping and perhaps throw in a $10 Starbucks giftcard????

Thanks in advance!

-Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Cory
Shane
D90SW 1997

I think kept mine. I'll check the garage in the AM and let you know.
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:10 AM
BLUE94
Kelby Saxton
1994 Defender 90

I have a set. pm me I will gladly send them to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2010, 01:21 AM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Kelby, PM sent. Thanks.

Cory, thanks for the offer to check in the morning. I think Kelby has me covered.

Thanks everyone. My Defender has seen daylight for the 1st time in over 2 years... she's alive again thanks to a buddy mechanic. Now, some fine tuning and rust removal and we'll be good to go.

The D-90 Source is such a great forum. Thanks in advance for all the advice I'm sure I'll be coming to you guys for.

-Steve
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:47 AM
ollieskins
Wade Garrett
1994 defender 90

I took my truck to a hydrolic shop & the overhauled them with super thick lines installed for $150. You might want to go that route?
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:53 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

I also have a set. Trailhead 4x4 set.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroPro View Post
I can't afford the sexy setup that ECR offers (I wish). So I'm going to take a set down to a local tractor repair shop. But I'd rather not take them off my Defender and make it un-driveable.

Anybody have a beat up set sitting in a junk pile? I'd be happy to pay for shipping and perhaps throw in a $10 Starbucks giftcard????

Thanks in advance!

-Steve
taking them off does not make it undriveable. You just stick the oil filter right back on after removing the sandwich plate.
Old June 18th, 2010, 03:09 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

I have a set too. If nobody else comes through just PM me.

B
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:02 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

Different type of repair... for oil lines

’95 D-90: Just replacing mine...cost $39. Took out the lines and had local shop Power Product tech repair. Cut off original hose at the metal/rubber point; used 1/2" high pressure heat resistant rubber hose; installed over the rubber hose is a Silco Blue Pyrotex jacket (heat/flame cover to 500 deg); 1 1/4" JR band crimped clamps…no doubt, much better hose than stock and will not fail due to the manifold heat, even direct contact. High-pressure hose is not needed (65-psi normal oil pressure), however, high temp hose had the benefit of being both. The reason for using the ½” hose is that he could utilize the original crimp in the rigid hose for added security from being pulled apart once clamped. If I were to do it again, I would probably have cut the ridged metal ends off, flared the pipe, so that a smaller hose could be fitted…finished hoses are about ¾” thick but look great, if not too bright/blue. To me, braided lines have little, if any, benefit as the internal hose is not high temp nor does the braided jacket disperse much heat. The various kits being sold have the advantage of relocating the lines farther from the manifold. I will follow up with pictures and review on how well I was able to relocate them farther away from the manifold.

note: shop is willing to repeat repair at the same cost...
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:53 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Paul, I sent you a PM. Very interested in having your contact make me up a set. Thanks!
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:52 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

oil cooler lines

’95 D-90: Just replacing mine...cost $39. Took out the lines and had local shop Power Product tech repair. Cut off original hose at the metal/rubber point; used 1/2" high pressure heat resistant rubber hose; installed over the rubber hose is a Silco Blue Pyrotex jacket (heat/flame cover to 500 deg); 1 1/4" JR band crimped clamps…no doubt, much better hose than stock and will not fail due to the manifold heat, even direct contact. High-pressure hose is not needed (65-psi normal oil pressure), however, high temp hose had the benefit of being both. The reason for using the ½” hose is that he could utilize the original crimp in the rigid hose for added security from being pulled apart once clamped. If I were to do it again, I would probably have cut the ridged metal ends off, flared the pipe, so that a smaller hose could be fitted…finished hoses are about ¾” thick but look great, if not too bright/blue. To me, braided lines have little, if any, benefit as the internal hose is not high temp nor does the braided jacket disperse much heat. The various kits being sold have the advantage of relocating the lines farther from the manifold. I will follow up with pictures and review on how well I was able to relocate them farther away from the manifold.

note: shop is willing to repeat repair at the same cost... I am not in a position to have them repaired, however, for those located in Denver, I can get you the shop info...
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:19 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Paul--please shoot me the shop info--I have a few lines that I need some work done to. Thanks!
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:38 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

oil lines

[IMG]file:///C:/Program%20Files/CASIO/Ploader/ImageLib/100620/PREVIEW/P6200843.JPG[/IMG]
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:04 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Paul, I don't think that attachment came thru.
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:10 AM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Thanks again Kelby. They arrived yesterday.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
body