Anybody fitted 39 inch tyres ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 10th, 2013, 03:37 PM
rivermike
Michael
2008 LHD Tdci 110 Keswick Green

Anybody fitted 39 inch tyres ?

Hey guys,

Checking to see if anybody here has ever fitted 39 inch MUDs ? Just purchased 39 inch x 15 x 15 Mickey Thompsons to fit on my Defender 157 , see photos attached.

Wondering which lift kit will work ? Otherwise we have to fabricate something ourselves...

Rivermike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keswich Green with 39 inch tyres.jpg
Views:	2769
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	85835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Defender 157 6 door zebra.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	85836  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EMAIlL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current Inventory is listed in my STOCKLIST section

Worldwide shipping is our specialty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2013, 03:40 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermike View Post
Hey guys,

Checking to see if anybody here has ever fitted 39 inch MUDs ? Just purchased 39 inch x 15 x 15 Mickey Thompsons to fit on my Defender 157 , see photos attached.

Wondering which lift kit will work ? Otherwise we have to fabricate something ourselves...

Rivermike
HOLY HELL, jawesome... get some of those fender flares from norway or iceland or wherever they come from...

also they might have some documentation on fitting tires like these, I've seen very large tires on trucks from wayyyy up north
Old December 10th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You need quite extensive changes to fit tires that large. Much more than a simple lift or trim. You would be best t start from scratch with different axles and build a complete suspension system with suitable clearance, strength and geometry.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2013, 03:50 PM
rivermike
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
HOLY HELL, jawesome... get some of those fender flares from norway or iceland or wherever they come from...

also they might have some documentation on fitting tires like these, I've seen very large tires on trucks from wayyyy up north

I have got the Icelandic flares here, I am also talking to someone in Iceland who build one on 44 inch tyres. Thought maybe there was someone on the board who had done this before...

Should look like this ... only issue is , we hardly have snow here ...

Rivermike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8c381e.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	85839   Click image for larger version

Name:	8c383d.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	85840  

EMAIlL :

Old December 10th, 2013, 04:11 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
what do they get for a set of flares like that?

JT
Old December 10th, 2013, 05:05 PM
rivermike
Michael

not cheap at 500 usd a set plus 120 for shipping.

EMAIlL :

Old December 10th, 2013, 05:10 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
You need quite extensive changes to fit tires that large. Much more than a simple lift or trim. You would be best t start from scratch with different axles and build a complete suspension system with suitable clearance, strength and geometry.
This.

Maybe using portals you wouldn't have to mod too much from stock suspension wise.

Bigger concern is what on earth are you going to use to power this setup? Final weight with those big tires, burly suspension, etc will probably be close to 8,000 lbs?

Pretty cool project BTW!
Old December 10th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If you are just driving to the mall it does not matter much. If you are going to use it off road or on the highway a lot of engineering is needed by someone that knows what they are doing. The stock suspension will provide very bad geometry and will not be strong enough. The Rover axles are not even worth thinking about. Well built 60s or rockwells are the place to start.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 10th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
They run the snot out of those ISAK 110s in Iceland. They are rental trucks in an extremely harsh environment for goodness sake! No telling how many dipshit tourists rent them on a daily basis so they'd have to be bullet proof. So what ever they are doing that's what I would do if I was gonna go big like that.
Old December 10th, 2013, 05:43 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Aren't there kits to put 35 spline axle shafts in a Salisbury. That would make it as strong as a regular dana 60, wouldn't it?
Old December 10th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
Aren't there kits to put 35 spline axle shafts in a Salisbury. That would make it as strong as a regular dana 60, wouldn't it?
Maybe in the rear for the most part. With a sals front axle, you would still be running rover outers. Which are not D60 strength and would not hold up to any wheeling on 39's.
Old December 10th, 2013, 06:05 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Well that might be a cheap upgrade for the rear. And then maybe a custom d60 for the front?
Old December 10th, 2013, 07:00 PM
rivermike
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
They run the snot out of those ISAK 110s in Iceland. They are rental trucks in an extremely harsh environment for goodness sake! No telling how many dipshit tourists rent them on a daily basis so they'd have to be bullet proof. So what ever they are doing that's what I would do if I was gonna go big like that.

What they fit in Iceland isn't very special , just some uprated internals from Ashcroft then they create the lift by fitted huge spacers under the springs and modifying the mounting brackets on the frame to hold front and rear axles. No rocket science ...

I will forward some pics when I get back to the office in the AM

RiverMike

EMAIlL :

Old December 10th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
Quote:
What they fit in Iceland isn't very special , just some uprated internals from Ashcroft then they create the lift by fitted huge spacers under the springs and modifying the mounting brackets on the frame to hold front and rear axles. No rocket science ...

RiverMike
I can see how on a icy/snowy surface, the setup you describe can work fine. I think it will be a little bit of a different story if you are on any other type of surface, where tires are quickly gaining and losing traction. I think you will find a lot of people on this board who will question the strength of the setup you describe because they know how easy it is to break rover drivetrain and even suspension components on just even 33" tires. Just imagine how much damage you can do on 39's. That being said, if this is more of a "mall crawler" that will never see any real off-roading, some bolt on upgrades might be just fine.
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Mike do they upgrade the steering box too? I can't imagine that a stock one would hold up or make life easy turning on pavement. I have seen some of the big pick-ups lifted like you are talking about and it does work but never very well off road. But then again we are talking about woods, rocks and such, not Ice fields.
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:

RiverMike
Interesting, I would have thought they would have some 2.5 ton Rockwells or at least some custom Dana 60s. Down here in Florida most of the mud truck crowd runs Rockwells ( http://redbarncustoms.net// ) and wacky custom suspensions.
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:46 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Keep in mind snow is very forgiving on axles in a way mud and pavement are not. I know some people are running Toyota diffs and upgraded internals with 37s and rock crawling so I would go that way if it were mine and I wanted to fit 39s.
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Capt Milks
Mike

I would think the un-sprung weight of the set up would be critical on the swivel ball housings and swivel ball bearings. Not to mention driveshaft angles.
Old December 11th, 2013, 02:42 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
I would think the un-sprung weight of the set up would be critical on the swivel ball housings and swivel ball bearings. Not to mention driveshaft angles.
Well the rear on that thing has to be a mile long and the front DC CVs are readily available. I would never do such a thing as fit 39s (I am loath to fit 33s!) but I have not seen swivel ball failures. The housing tends to bend first.
Old December 11th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Capt Milks
Mike

Yep I saw a swivel ball break on a D2 that had one of those large military michelin's. The whole wheel assembly made it to the bottom of the hill before the truck did. not pretty.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
body