Anybody ever redone the steering joints? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 18th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Hans Haase
The Lab Rat
Anybody ever redone the steering joints?

My steering is getting a bit too loose for comfort lately, time to order me some tie-rod ends and rebuild the pitman arm joint. Anybody ever done this area? Any pitfalls to look out for, areas to be concerned about and such? Hints, tips, tricks or other advice welcome.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 18th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
Yeah, I've done it, its super-easy except for the fact that all the old joints can be mega-difficult to remove. I had the steering box out of the truck when I did mine and everything took much persuading. It goes back together really easy, and naturally you go get an alignment when you are done.

Note center of ball joint to center of ball joint dimension for the steering arm, and the measurement for the track rod. That way when you put it back together the alignment wont be way off and you can drive to the shop without a religious experience.

I just used a drop arm ball joint kid and new ball joints from RDS.

Old January 19th, 2006, 12:43 AM
95 d90
My steering is gettin pretty nasty, and I actually just signed on to see about asking the same question... That makes it easy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions