Anybody else had a Bilstein fail like this? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 15th, 2010, 11:29 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Anybody else had a Bilstein fail like this?

Has anybody else had this happen with a set of Bilstein HD shocks? See attached pics. I haven't pulled it apart yet, but it looks like the piston shaft fully unscrewed itself from the top mounting eye. Bottom mount is tight and doesn't rotate, so the shaft looks like it must have rotated inside the shock itself to be able to do this.

Has punched a hole and worn a groove in the bottom of my tub. Happened the same day I bust out 3 engine mounts so I thought the noise was the trans bumping against the body while I was getting off the trail. Didn't notice it until I was under the truck pulling the rear trans mounts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08183.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	24444   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08188.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	24445  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2010, 12:43 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

You broke three engine mounts and a Bilstein? Time to choose a better line!
Old January 16th, 2010, 01:36 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
1st one went (Drivers side engine) just before the brow of a pretty steep hill. 2nd quickly followed (Pass Side Engine). Had to winch the rest of the way up. Put a peice of wire round the drivers side mount to hold the engine down but lost the 3rd one (Drivers Side Trans) before I got off the trail. Strapped that one down to hold it and drove the 70 miles home with no problems.

The one that didn't break looks like it's been replaced at some point, the others are probably 13 year old originals. Think when the 1st one went, the extra strain took out the other 2.

Not saying my line couldn't have been better though....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2010, 07:53 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post

no kidding
Old January 16th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

What the hell people. The engine mounts have a design flaw. Its a common failure. Pick a different line? Yeah, how about he just not wheel at all like you two?

OP: Bilstiens are over-rated shocks untill you get to the big daddy race ones. Thread it back in and weld it. Or replace. Sorry about your trouble.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 16th, 2010, 03:20 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
What the hell people. The engine mounts have a design flaw. Its a common failure. Pick a different line? Yeah, how about he just not wheel at all like you two?

OP: Bilstiens are over-rated shocks untill you get to the big daddy race ones. Thread it back in and weld it. Or replace. Sorry about your trouble.
Thanks Buck!

Anoying thing was, the hill wasn't really anything difficult it was just steep (40 deg or so) with a rocky ledge at the top. Think the mounts where just old and once one went it was too much for the others. Common weak point if the mounts are old and I wasn't suprised they went like a row of Dominos.

The shock did surprise me though. Didn't really flex the suspension much that day so it may have been working itself out for a while.

When I get it off I will have a better look and if it looks OK, I will put it back together and then keep an eye on it and the rest. I just wondered if it was a common problem with the Bilsteins, but I guess not.
Old January 16th, 2010, 06:24 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Those are both very common failures. Nothing unusual here.
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:27 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Wasn't at all surprised at the mounts failing. Common problem as has been said. I only mentioned it to explain why I hadn't heard the shock trying to wear it's way through the bottom of the tub. Thought it was just the trans or t-case bumping the bottom since they where loose and I knew they where moving around.

Anyway, I got the shock off today and had a better look. Won't be putting it back on and don't want to replace it with another Bilstein either. The threads are shot. Looks like it just pulled out of the top mount and stripped the threads on the way. The whole set up looks weak now I look at it in peices.

So what are the recommendations to replace them with? I have a fully stock front set up without the sway bar. May just leave the front as it is and replace the rears only for now. On the rear I have no sway bar, dislocation cones and a SG Droop kit. Want to retain my standard springs for now so not looking at a lift. The SG Kit gives about an extra 3-4" of drop at the wheel from standard shocks. I wheel regularly in AZ. Lots of rocks, ruts, washouts, loose shale type of stuff so plenty of suspension flex and articulation. I'm running 33"s.

What are good strong shocks in a standard or 2-3" extended length for the rear?
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

If you are bent on sticking with stock I am not sure. But I do know for sure that Fox are the best shock for the money you can buy. I would look at new mounts to get you the extra droop. Why not?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 16th, 2010, 10:31 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Planning to go to about a 2" lift eventually, keep the cones and replace the SG Kit with some lowered mounts. Don't want to go too high, just enough to clear 35"s, but want the extra drop. Probably put lowered tubular mounts on the front as well.

For now though it's not in the budget to change out the whole suspension. Other stuff I need 1st like a good set of sliders, better rear links, change out the ARB plough on the front for something with better clearence, etc., etc.
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:09 AM
d90dan
Dan Berry
1995 D90

Ian, when your ready to get rid of the ARB let me know.

I have rancho 9000's on my D90, they are good on and off road. Not great, but good. Should of taken you for a ride when I saw you a few months ago.

BTW, are your stock rear upper mounts ok? If not I should have an extra set.
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:08 AM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Ditch the cones.
It aint 2002 anymore.
Old January 17th, 2010, 03:00 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by d90dan View Post
Ian, when your ready to get rid of the ARB let me know.

I have rancho 9000's on my D90, they are good on and off road. Not great, but good. Should of taken you for a ride when I saw you a few months ago.

BTW, are your stock rear upper mounts ok? If not I should have an extra set.
Hi Dan,

Mike (McRover) has 1st refusal on the ARB, but if he passes I will let you know. I have to find a find a replacement I like 1st anyway. My stock mounts are OK, thanks. Will probably switch them for lowered ones. Ranchos or Fox where what I had in mind for when I tackle the suspension. Will have to catch you some time and take a look at yours.

There is a trip up to Sedona next weekend and a Gap run the weekend after that I want to go on so I really wanted to just fix this without having to re-do the whole set up. Will probably end up buying a couple of OMEs or worst case, just replace the Bilstein for now for a quick cheap fix. Donít like the idea of buying another Bilstein though as I am pretty pissed at the way this one failed in fairly light duty.

Catch you out there sometime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ View Post
Ditch the cones.
It aint 2002 anymore.
?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bilstein, body, fail