Anybody added a hood scoop? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 11th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I did the louvers in the hood routine. But the most effective thing I did was to snug up the air leaks around the cowl so it would draw better. Some weatherstripping on the left and right sides, and foam rubber squeezed between the hoses and cowl edges, etc. This makes it possible for the engine-driven fan to suck huge gobs of air through the radiator. I can see the temp drop like a stone every time the fan clutch engages. Very reassuring! Every time I open the hood I check to see that all the pieces are in place, just like checking the oil or steering fluid. This works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
I did the louvers in the hood routine. But the most effective thing I did was to snug up the air leaks around the cowl so it would draw better. Some weatherstripping on the left and right sides, and foam rubber squeezed between the hoses and cowl edges, etc. This makes it possible for the engine-driven fan to suck huge gobs of air through the radiator. I can see the temp drop like a stone every time the fan clutch engages. Very reassuring! Every time I open the hood I check to see that all the pieces are in place, just like checking the oil or steering fluid. This works.
I will give that a try. Thanks.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
LOL You changed your avatar, no wonder I couldn't find you.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
is this a new issue? you used to claim pretty good EGT results. I know I'm being Capt. Obvious here but is this shroud/fan removal related? Perhaps better adressed by coming up with a way to keep moving air through the IC? Or am I forgetting that you've gone full width? Even so if your electric isn't coming on then you be putting hotter air into the engine.
Kinda, but sorta. I overheated the egts bad at KOH. Hit 1400. Then last trip out I hit 1400 in like 3 minutes in colder weather. So it has gotten worse. I know that part of it is due to the fan configuration. I have bought a 9in 1000cfm fan that I will put behind the intercooler. But, I want to try everything I can to minimize the heat. The engine bay gets very hot. And probably because of the fan issue, my PS fluid is now getting too hot as well. I belched fluid for the first time out last time. It was a rough trip though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 12th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

There's just something about the engine compartments in this design that seems to create a lot of heat retention. Getting hot air out seems to be almost as much of a chore as getting cool air in. And I think a lot of it has to do with the cowl area not having an air gap like everything else does.

Another thought would be maybe adding some scoops on top of the wing vents, Len makes some that look as if they'll catch air nicely.

As to the power steering, got room to add a dedicated cooler to that system?

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
There's just something about the engine compartments in this design that seems to create a lot of heat retention. Getting hot air out seems to be almost as much of a chore as getting cool air in. And I think a lot of it has to do with the cowl area not having an air gap like everything else does.

Another thought would be maybe adding some scoops on top of the wing vents, Len makes some that look as if they'll catch air nicely.

As to the power steering, got room to add a dedicated cooler to that system?

-Hans
I already have one. I do not have any wing top vents at all but I don't have any wheelwells either. But I still think it would be a help to get fresh air circulating the engine. While the electic fan does a much better job cooling the water than the machanical did, I think the mechanical moved more air over the engine.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:23 PM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

Buck - not sure if this helps but here are my cooling issues and how I solved:

1. Kenlowes come on when crawling: fawking annoying...decided to lift the rear of the hood/bonnet (for the fawker that wasted cyber space) and add some louvers from a boat shop...helped, but not solved

2. overheat when climbing the mountain roads: ditched the "custom" grill that "looked cool" back in '06. This has been, BY FAR, the best thing. instead of air skipping across the surface of the grill, there now was a "bucket" to catch the air and force into the radiator.

As rightly suggested by Keith, ditch the hood, if that works, you know you need to to get more air out, if not, then why not ditch the whole front grill...maybe it'll force some more air without restrictions...
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:01 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yudda
Check out the hood and the hood scoop.

Hope it helps.

http://www.daur4x4.de/start.php#mp=4

I really dig the tropical roof and split windscreen conversions.

shalom,

rob
im pretty sure that is a 109, it even has the series doors.
Old December 13th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino
Buck - not sure if this helps but here are my cooling issues and how I solved:

1. Kenlowes come on when crawling: fawking annoying...decided to lift the rear of the hood/bonnet (for the fawker that wasted cyber space) and add some louvers from a boat shop...helped, but not solved

2. overheat when climbing the mountain roads: ditched the "custom" grill that "looked cool" back in '06. This has been, BY FAR, the best thing. instead of air skipping across the surface of the grill, there now was a "bucket" to catch the air and force into the radiator.

As rightly suggested by Keith, ditch the hood, if that works, you know you need to to get more air out, if not, then why not ditch the whole front grill...maybe it'll force some more air without restrictions...
Hey DD,

I am going to try the removing hood thing for sure. I really don't want to cut into the hood. I overheat when I am on it go fast style. The water never overheats with the electric fan, but the egt's explode quickly. I have a stock grill right now with minimum blockage on the intercooler. I am going to seal it up like people have mentioned. I ran into a mountain last time out and broke the front grill so I am in the process of making a pimp daddy high flow grill. I don't want to run without anything, rocks fly up like crazy and I can see it being a real problem.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
body, hood