Any problems in using "Diesel" 15W40 oil in gasoline engine? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 10th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Knife90
john sabra
'94 Defender 90

Any problems in using "Diesel" 15W40 oil in gasoline engine?

I went to buy oil today to do a change, and the only 15W40 oil they had was "Motorcraft Super Duty Diesel 15W40". The sales guy seemed very confident in assuring me that the "diesel" name on it is purely an advertising approach, as 15W40 oil is 15W40 oil. Seems to make sense to me, as whats happening inside the combustion chamber shouldnt have any effect on the oil lubricating the outside moving parts. (this is my non-mechanic analysis here). unless operating temp or something else would be affected? you guys think its ok to use this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2011, 03:33 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

http://www.ehow.com/about_6386085_di...otor-oil_.html
Old March 10th, 2011, 03:47 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

It's actually a very good oil for these older design rover v8's.
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes, for old style engines, with flat tappets, diesel oils are a good choice. There are some downsides for some modern engines.
Old March 10th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

I use nothing but Rotella T 15w40
Old March 10th, 2011, 04:40 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
I ran delo 15w40 in my rangie for 80k miles. Passed smog in california with no problems everytime. I didn't use it but britishpacific recommends redline engine oil break-in additive to increase the zddp.

Red Line Engine Oil Break-In Additive

for 1987-2004 3.5, 3.9, 4.2, 4.0, and 4.6 pushrod Rover V8 engines, and all Series 2.25 engines.
Flat tappet engines require a zinc blend for friction reduction in their oil. This compound, known as ZDDP, has been an important part of engine oils for decades. But California requires that all emission parts be warranted for 100,000 miles, including catalytic converters. Sometimes that's tough for manufacturers to meet, especially if the engine using oil. The zinc can clog converters over high mileages. So, the manufacturers have persuaded the oil companies to eliminate ZDDP, which is being phased out nationwide.
Modern engines are designed for low internal friction so the zinc really isn't required anymore. But older engines still need it. The wear is first seen on cams and tappets, where friction and pressure is highest. We've seen freshly rebuilt engines destroy cams and lifters within a few thousand miles due to this oil formula change.
To protect your engine, add one bottle of Break-In Additive to restore zinc levels to your conventional oil for the first few changes. The product reduces friction, improving efficiency and mileage. It's also fortified with detergents, dispersants, and antioxidants to keep the engine clean. It does not alter the viscosity of the oil, and it can be used with both organic and synthetic oils.

Daniel
Old March 10th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Knife90
john sabra
'94 Defender 90

thanks guys, appreciate the advice.
Dan, i'll get that additive, seems to make sense.

John
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:30 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

i have actually used Amsoil Desiel 10/20 in my race cars for years (all build prior to 1992)
after the change to less ZDDP in morot oils (mobile one for instance) this was the natural choice

in our trucks match up the weight to what you would normally use and it will a) be fine b) be better for the older engines.

all IMHO of course YMMV

95' D90 - daily driver..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel, engine, gas, problems