Any opinion on QT services Diff protection? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 19th, 2004, 10:41 PM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

Question Any opinion on QT services Diff protection?

Looking to add front and rear Salisbury to the NAS 110. I did a search and alot of members have protection products, but no clear cut "this is the highest rated". QT has a different approach....."Unlike other Diff Guards on the market the Qt Guard wraps over the front of the casing rather than fixing to the diff pan. This has the major advantage on not tending to crack the welds and cause oil leaks if the guard takes a knock."
Does this makes any sense to the board? Thanks for the feedback!
http://www.qtservices.co.uk/diffguards.htm
COSteve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Diff guard looks good, but, I would rethink the Salibury. The rear option from Rover Trax is awesome, but if you are thinking about just swapping in stock units, there is not much point. The diff gears are way stronger but you will still destroy the front axles and CV's in no time, same with the rear shafts. The price doesn't make sence. Just an FYI.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 19th, 2004, 11:29 PM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

Just adding diff protection

David,
I am just wanting to add protection to the Origional front diff and origional Sals Rear Diff, sorry my post was not worded well.... COSteve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Oh, well in that case, the guard looks good!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 20th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

I have the QT front and rear diff guards, they are outstanding. Very durable, and pretty easy to bolt on. They are the way to go.

Matt...
Old October 20th, 2004, 08:41 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

I have been looking for a suitable diffguard for the salisbury diff, there was a vendor at MAR that made a nice product. If you like I can post a picture when I go visit my truck at the shop.
Old October 20th, 2004, 09:23 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Steve, the Sal QT diff guard covers the front of the diff (no pinion guard). The Sal diff is stronger than the stock diff so no need for the extra protection underneath.

John C.

Follow-up Post:

Draaron,

How's the 110? I looked at it before you bought it.

Anyway, are you talking about the guy from KMC Rover? Just curious...
Old October 20th, 2004, 10:00 AM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

So should I also add a pinion guard? If so, are they always two different assemblys to protect pinion AND differentials, or is there a product that does both duties?
Aaron, Yes on a picture of any other Sals guard options! Thanks! COSteve
Old October 20th, 2004, 10:40 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Yup that's the guy John. You noticed that I said when I visit it at the shop. It has been great. Fuel pump went out two days before MAR, I had to get on shipped from the UK, I then started to discover other things that needed to be done. So I removed the heads had them machined, put on composite gaskets, put on an edelbrock intake and carb, and I am working out the bugs on that conversion. It is great there is a ton of room under the hood now. Other than that the truck has been awesome, I put a new radiator in it also as it was rotting after 16years. I will let you know if I decide to sell her. One thing is for sure she will be in great shape when I am done. I had the interior rhinolined and that helps with sound and cleanup. I bought two new doors for the front as they had the typical rust on the bottom. Now I am trying to decide when I should paint her. I will try to get those pics soon.
Old October 20th, 2004, 12:35 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Steve, no need for a pionion guard on the Sal diff. I spoke to QT and they said a pinion guard is not needed because the casing is "stronger" than stock. Also, a pinion guard would reduce clearance.

They go for $110 each.
Old October 20th, 2004, 01:15 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

The QT is nice but will never run them on my truck. I'm still trying to find why does it go under the diff and then stop, why didn't they go all the way and add pinion guards. Since everyone is making a big deal about clearance, well, the QT will take some of that away and I witnessed a D90 with the QT get stuck three times b/c of those guards. On your axle all you need is to protect the front pan and that's it. That being said there are two options I would consider for the front, which is RoverBiz and Rover Tracks. As for the rear you can go with Crane High clearance (the best on the market but $$$) or you can go Poison Spider Customs (they are local), or just Warn. It's your call.
Old October 20th, 2004, 01:58 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Salisburry Diff guard does not go under the diff therefore you don't lose clearance. It just protects the pan.

Follow-up Post:

Yousef, I looked at the sites you mentioned but I couldn't get into Roverbiz and I didn't see any diff guards on Rover Tracks. The other sites were awesome but they seem to cater to Jeeps/others. Do they custom make guards for Rovers (Sal, etc)? I see that most of the diff guards are bolt on but our diffs have the bolts on the "backside" of the pumpkin. How do they mount them?

I do agree with you that there is no need for protection under the LR diff since it is very thick (compared to some Jeep diffs). But since I am not a hardcore off-roader I guess the QT diff guards are fine for me (inexpensive and off-the-shelf).

I'm sure it's a different story for you guys out west (because of the rocks and stuff). In Ny all we have to worry about is flying man-hole covers!!!
Old October 20th, 2004, 02:16 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Yes you are right about the Sals, but I was talking about the regular rover diff. If they made there guards go under the Sals that would've been a very bad idea since the sals. sits an inch lower than a regular Rover diff.

No idea what happened to RoverBiz, but here is RT guards http://www.rovertracks.com/sewer%20c...ront_small.jpg.

Well, the sals center section is a Dana 60 so that's why I referred to the other sites. No those companies don't make anything for Rovers.

How much for the QT's??
Old October 20th, 2004, 02:37 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90
Yes you are right about the Sals, but I was talking about the regular rover diff. If they made there guards go under the Sals that would've been a very bad idea since the sals. sits an inch lower than a regular Rover diff.
That's exactly what they (QT) told me when I called them.

So the Sal is the same/similar as the D60.... that's good to know.

QT diffs are $220 for the set (D1/RR/D90). The Sal Diff is $110.
Old October 20th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

A larger pic of the same as what Yousef posted.

http://www.rovertracks.com/sewer%20capped%20front.jpg

Oh and a link for Yousef

http://www.4x4ag.com/products_lr_sr&...tial_guard.htm

Old October 20th, 2004, 02:54 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Yes the Sals share the same center section as D60. However, the axles are still the weak Rover axles you find on any other D90. Go with 35 spline axles and you shall have a bullet proof axle

Thanks for the help Mike
Old October 20th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

If I were you I would not even bother with a diff gard, no point on that big Sals, get the grinder out and smooth down the anchor and leave the rest alone. If you really have your heart set on a guard, or just want a little bling, go to www.pirate4x4.com and go to the vender section and there is a guy there that sells cover only diff guards for like $80. It is the best option. If you are not on harsh rocks, there is no point. IMHO

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 21st, 2004, 12:55 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Bluetorch.com for Dana 60 covers. Very grindeable if you chose to clearance your Sals.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old October 28th, 2004, 03:21 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Replacing the QT?

Yousef, do you have the rover tracks Sewer cap? Or anyone else for that matter? I wonder how much their replacement panhard rod costs.

I have the QT front and rear now, and last weekend at Rausch Creek I sort of mangled the front QT. It appears as if the pinion bolts fell out, and then one of the front bolts. When we realized it, it was hanging from one bolt, the weld on tab was bent and the guard was bent in two places: 1 front bolt tab, and the whole rear was bent sort of 'up'. I think I can bend it back into shape and get it remounted, but I'm considering replacing it altogether.

I won't knock the guard itself though, because my installation was a little weird. I have the Safari Gard rock gard, and it bolts to the same pinion holes as the QT does, so the QT was actually mounted a little 'lower' then normal, with it's bolts going through the rock guard then into the pinion. It resulted in the QT having almost 1/4 inch gap between it and the bottom of the axle housing, where I believe it should normally be pretty flush. This obviously affected my clearance and possibly the strength of the guard itself.

Since I don't want to replace the rock guard (it's taken a few scrapes that would have otherwise got the track rod) I'm thinking about the Rover Tracks sewer cap, or maybe the RoverTym weld on type:
http://www.rovertym.com/diffguards.htm

The RT seem beefer (3/8 vs 1/4 steel) but I'm just curious how much more the panhard rod is going to be.

any thoughts?
Old October 28th, 2004, 04:49 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Looks nice Jeff, are you saying it is a rover tracks, but that it was modified to use the stock panhard? Can't really tell if it's been ground down or what in the picture. Or is it from somewhere else (if so, where?)

thanks,
Dave

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
service