Any issues with putting sound insulation underneath rubber mats? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 25th, 2005, 11:44 AM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Any issues with putting sound insulation underneath rubber mats?

Hi All,

I'm replacing the carpetting that came with my 95SW with the rubber mat that came on the Soft Top models.
The PO really did a number on it, and cut it into shreds, etc.
I'm planning to put some sound/heat insulation under the rubber matt, to cut down on noise.
Is there any reason why I shouldnt do this?

I do realize if it gets wet underneath, it wont dry out..but is this really an issue?

Thanks,

-arbi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2005, 12:06 PM
jabber
m j

There shouldn't be any problems... I've actually done that on my ST. I would highly recommend you prep the areas WELL!!! Make sure they're clean and free from rust. That way when you do put the material down it sticks well, and should keep water from sitting.

I actually used IceShield from Home Depot/Menards. Thus far I'm very pleased with it.... AND it was cheap.
Old February 25th, 2005, 12:27 PM
priest944
Jay H
95 D90 SW

I just did the same thing with my SW about two months ago. You probably already know this, but I don't think the sound protection will absorb or retain water after application if it is asphault based like Dynamat Xtreme.
I was having a problem with the padding under the carpet holding water and rusting all the bolts in the floorboards. I feel alot better now that the carpet is gone and I've got the rubber ST matting in. No problems yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2005, 02:27 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

oh, I guess I should mention.
The sound insulation I'm using, is the fluffy material they use under the carpet, with the aluminuzed mylar sheet on the top. I'm not useing any of the whazoo insulation parts.
I got mine for $13 from Pep Boys Auto Part store. I'm also not planning on glueing it in.
Just a few places to hold it in place.

Question..is it good to fold it to shape? or cut it and make separate pieces for the bed and wheel wells.

Also, did you cut the parts where the rear jump seats mount, or just drill holes and mount the seats on top of the rubber?

thanks,

-arbi

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mats, rubber