any ideas on 300Tdi fuel tank conversion? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 29th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

any ideas on 300Tdi fuel tank conversion?

We got the D90 gutted and wanted to start the build by reinstalling the fuel tank and new fuel sender and pick up tube...But, the tank I've got on my 95 NAS is plastic and doesn't look like any of the tanks in the instructions I got from M&D...mine doesn't have a "step" shaped top with two holes in it like the ones pictured...it is flat with one big hole in the center...we've gone through the parts a few times and don't see anything that looks like a new fuel pick up and/or sending unit that would fit the big hole in the center of my tank...any ideas or suggestions from those that have done this?
thanks
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I took the original fuel pump & sender unit out, dismantled it, removed the pump and fabricated a pickup tube out of stainless steel to go in place of the pump cartridge (angle cut the end). I joined the stainless pipe to the fitting on the top of the assembly with a looped length of fuel line to allow it to flex & compress and reinstalled it in the tank. I eliminated the charcoal cannister, vapor separator, and the lines to it from the tank. I joined the 2 vents on top of the tank together with a piece of fuel line. I replaced the steel filler neck with the inlet restrictor & flap with a plastic TDI part (from RDS) and replaced the fuel fill cap with one from NAPA that is designed to hold pressure but not vacuum. This replicates the factory evaporative system for the TDI. I reused all of the original fuel lines after blowing the gasoline out and replacing the filter with a new one. I was able to hook the original EFI fuel lines to the TDI fuel lift pump inlet and return.

TDI filler neck: WLH100570
Fuel fill cap: NAPA 703-1631
Old May 29th, 2006, 02:26 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You can check out the sticky thread in the Misc Chit-Chat section for my rebuild pix.

It is super-easy to modify the NAS tank for diesel, and you dont need a new sending unit or anything.

Rob detailed almost exactly what I did except that I added the second tank (the stepped one you mentioned) on the side so I have switchover valves in my fuel lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2006, 05:47 AM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

I,m in the UK building a vehicle with tank located in the rear as per NAS 90, I got a NAS 90 tank, made a flat plate to fill the hole which would be occupied by the fuel pump and fitted into that the fuel pick up, return and sender from a standard 90 fuel tank.
Old May 30th, 2006, 08:34 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Rob is right on. Same thing we do, no need to change the sending unit, just modify the V8 EFI pump into a pick up.
The only difference is that we use the stock fuel fill. The "unleaded flap" in the filler tube is just soldered in. If you heat it up you can remove the unleaded flap section and you don't have to buy anything and you keep the same gas cap and it fits even the large diesel truck nozzles.
The stock V8 EFI fuel lines and all can be used with a 300 Tdi install as well. No need to change them, just make a jumper to eliminate the gas fuel filter.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Thanks to all...

Thanks much to all of you Tdi converts...that sorts it out well! Great tip on the fuel filler de-solder conversion, thanks.
George

Follow-up Post:

One additional question? any special consideration in terms of type of fuel line material to specify in order to be biodiesel compatible?
George
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkase
Follow-up Post:

One additional question? any special consideration in terms of type of fuel line material to specify in order to be biodiesel compatible?
George
Viton. Look for Dayco brand fuel injection hose, it has a viton inner layer which is good for biodiesel.
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:33 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Or you can always use braided stainless over teflon from your local Swagelok dealer. Its overkill but it sure is pretty.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:54 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob
I took the original fuel pump & sender unit out, dismantled it, removed the pump and fabricated a pickup tube out of stainless steel to go in place of the pump cartridge (angle cut the end). I joined the stainless pipe to the fitting on the top of the assembly with a looped length of fuel line to allow it to flex & compress and reinstalled it in the tank. I eliminated the charcoal cannister, vapor separator, and the lines to it from the tank. I joined the 2 vents on top of the tank together with a piece of fuel line. I replaced the steel filler neck with the inlet restrictor & flap with a plastic TDI part (from RDS) and replaced the fuel fill cap with one from NAPA that is designed to hold pressure but not vacuum. This replicates the factory evaporative system for the TDI. I reused all of the original fuel lines after blowing the gasoline out and replacing the filter with a new one. I was able to hook the original EFI fuel lines to the TDI fuel lift pump inlet and return.

TDI filler neck: WLH100570
Fuel fill cap: NAPA 703-1631
I'm in the process of doing this same thing. The NAS pump has a mesh screen at the pick up point, is this there to keep particles out of the pump? If this is the case I'm guessing that I don't need this as I believe my pump is after my sedimintator and filter.
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:56 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I've had issues with the V8 fuel cap holding a vaccum. Every time I use one (which has been several years)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old December 5th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

I'm not necessarily worried about vaccum. The fine mesh screen on the take up of the NAS pump makes me wonder if if should put one on the diesel pick up tube.
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:24 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am doing the fuel pump mod now. Anyone have pix of what they used? I have the pump out and apart. Need to fab a pickup tube. What did you guys use? Did you just cut the return so it dumps back in the tank?

Randy
Old February 16th, 2009, 11:51 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I used a piece of stainless tube. I've got something in the garage that might help you, let me go dig it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 16th, 2009, 12:47 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Cool. Let me know Jim..
Old February 16th, 2009, 12:58 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Randy - send a text to my cell phone (206) 779-nine seven two four - I'll send you a pic if I can find the right part in the garage...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, conversion, fuel, fuel tank, tdi