Any Air Conditioning Experts? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 14th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Any Air Conditioning Experts?

Through an issue I'd rather not discuss, I broke the low side port fitting on my AC compressor and it let loose the freon and a oil. So my question is, is the oil that came out the AC lube suspended in the freon, or the oil in the compressor? Is the oil in the compressor separate? Just need to know if I need to refill the compressor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2012, 08:06 PM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

its suspended in the freon , you must vaccum the system and add oil before the charge
Old September 14th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

Generally, the oil is added into the compressor, and shouldn't be "suspended" when the system is static, I.E. not on. When a system is evacuated, you pull out the the r112/134a, and very little oil. Did you notice a lot of oil come out? If you are really in doubt, pull and empty the compressor and see what comes out. Then, add the spec amount to it and recharge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The system wasn't on when the line broke, but I was driving and it sprayed a good amount of fluid in the engine compartment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old September 14th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

I'd add the spec amount, then see how it reacts. If you have less than optimal performance, you probably have too much oil. Chances are you still have a couple ounces of oil in the rest of the system.
Old September 14th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I at least was able to find out the type of lube, but having a problem determining exact fill amount. One place says 5-6oz, another says 2oz. I suspect I lost at least 2-3oz when the fitting broke.

Semper Fi!
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:06 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertek
its suspended in the freon , you must vaccum the system and add oil before the charge
Stupid android "Its not suspended" ....
Any case if the system is open to ambient air it is contaminated with moisture and should be evacuated and recharged to get optimal performance...i would recommend replacing the reciver dryer now since the system was open and if it was never done
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertek View Post
Stupid android "Its not suspended" ....
Any case if the system is open to ambient air it is contaminated with moisture and should be evacuated and recharged to get optimal performance...i would recommend replacing the reciver dryer now since the system was open and if it was never done
It's a brand new system and has not been exposed to outside air. I'm topping off the compressor and recharging the system.

Cheers

Semper Fi!
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:25 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

As soon as the freon was released it is exposed to outside air...you might get away with just charging it but i would defiantly evac and recharge...hope all works out
Cheers!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions