Any 3rd party windshield wipers? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 4th, 2003, 11:32 PM
cdnpaul
Paul
None

Any 3rd party windshield wipers?

With winter coming my wipers are going to be needed much more. I'm using the factory ones and just had the blades replaced with only a slight improvement. Are there any better solutions out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2003, 11:35 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i have bosch on my steed
Old November 4th, 2003, 11:37 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
o yeah they work very well. i use rain x too that is effective but since the windshield is pretty much vertical i dont get much help from the wind. there are those silblade wipers but they are $$. i think one wiper blade is just about as good as the other provided they are in good shape and your windshield is clean. ie no bug guts sap etc..
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2003, 12:39 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

How about wiper arms? is the only option genuine LR part?
Old November 5th, 2003, 10:01 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
ok yeah prolly. if you are taking about the thing that the blade attaches too. but the blade can be any manufacturer as long as it is the proper length. www.ROversdownsouth.com has the factory blades.
Old November 5th, 2003, 11:33 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I think the Silblade are awesome replacements. We put a set on our D90 right before the huge snow storm last winter and they worked out great.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 5th, 2003, 11:55 AM
milli
Michael D. Milliken
9590SW

I concur. The Silblades are great. (ex-Olympia, WA resident)
They do not squeak. www.expeditionexchange.com has them and they might even offer a special for d90.cm.
I put rain-x on my windshield and rear window, it smears. It's great for the other glass though.
Old November 5th, 2003, 12:46 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

Yet another vote for the silblade. I've had them for a year now and the work just as good as the day I put them on. I also recommend silbead for glass treatment.
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/silblade/index.htm

Read
Old November 5th, 2003, 01:02 PM
cdnpaul
Paul
None

Thanks for the info. I just ordered the Silblades. Can't wait to try them out!
Old November 5th, 2003, 04:36 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

I've looked at all the local auto parts stores for wiper arms, and (no surprise) they don't have them listed in their catalog. The best I could find was a "universal" silver arm that is adjustable in length. Not so good. The bushing on my wiper arm is worn smooth from the knurled knob so I did the simple fix of drilling and tapping for a set screw. It's good enough, and a lot cheaper than the $$ spent for the genuine LR part. (Still saving for Zach's throw toys)
Old December 3rd, 2003, 02:53 PM
cdnpaul
Paul
None

What an ordeal! I thought I'd save some time and order the blades direct from Silblade since they're on the east coast. What a mistake! They don't have the adaptors so they just decided to cancel my order without letting me know. I just found out today (over a month later) so I just ordered them from Expedition Exchange since they provide the adaptors. D'oh!
Old December 3rd, 2003, 03:24 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally posted by milli
...www.expeditionexchange.com has them and they might even offer a special for d90.cm.
That was actually their last special. Their current one is for the ExpeditionWare Mirrors which I just installed last month. Look for a write up about them in the upcoming updates.

CVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:19 PM
cdnpaul
Paul
None

Geez, yet another thing I have to have. I wish I could figure out how to turn my D90 passion into a profitable venture
Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:46 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

haha.. Yeah, if I could figure out how to generate my salary from sitting at home working on the site, playing Xbox, and wheeling on the weekends, I would be all set.

Quote:
[/size]
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:03 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

I ordered Silblades from EE a few days ago, I should get them from MIB (men in brown) tomorrow. These factory blades suck. I also ordered the convex mirrors from them.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:41 PM
cdnpaul
Paul
None

I totally agree with you and I also ordered the convex mirrors today after hearing from Chris as I think the factory mirrors suck too.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 11:32 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Yeah, the factory mirrors are bad, very limited field of view. The boys at EE are good. Good prices, good products. Their customer service is awesome. I plan on buying some OME shocks and springs from them in the near future. I'm getting those Silblades just in time, we're supposed to get a big snow/rain/sleet storm tomorrow night. I'll put em right to the test.
Old December 4th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Bought some convex mirrors and been using them for 6 months now. The difference is night and day from the stock ones. Virtually no blind spot and much much safer!

I also use the Silblades on my Disco and they are great. Been using them for over a year now and still no sign of diminished performance. I got mine last year from EE but I recently found out that some local Napa Stores carry them too if you wish to avoid shipping charges.

Glenn
Old December 4th, 2003, 12:11 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

That's good to hear Glenn. Hey, where exactly are you located? I grew up in Montclair. I have family in Oradell.
Old December 4th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Phil, I'm in Rochelle Park. A little town between Paramus and Maywood. That's pretty interesting to hear from people that were once from our area.

Tons of Rovers around but mostly the soccer mom types that don't have a clue. Lately, I've also noticed a sudden surged of New Gen RRs driving around in the most Bling Bling way possible (i.e. driver has seat slanted all the way back while listening to bass thumping sounds eminating from the cabin and sporting at least 20" chrome rims )

Anyway, sorry to hi-jack this thread... BTW, I have Silblade wipers.

-Glenn

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
part