Anti-Roll Bars - Who Cares? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 21st, 2005, 10:13 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Anti-Roll Bars - Who Cares?

Query for the group-
Ever since I rebuilt my truck, I've been running without front and rear sways. Maybe the truck rolls a bit more in the corners, but I can scarcely tell the difference.
I know some remove the bars because they stick down and limit articulation and clearance.
Does anyone really have an opinion one way or the other about them? I'm tempted to just leave mine off permanently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2005, 10:19 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I havent been running mine for 4 years now. Cant really say I notice them missing.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 21st, 2005, 10:31 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I don't have any, but it depends on the driver and the defender, I have been in some 90s that don't lean at all on the corners because of stiff springs and shocks, but in mine if I turn the ranchos all the way to their softest in the rear it leans like crazy on any corner (I've seen 40 on the tilto-meter from time to time). Some people don't mind the extra lean (like me) and some want a stiff ride that doesn't budge (Ken Loy). If you find it leans too much and you don't want to have them on I say get some stiffer shocks and or springs to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2005, 10:43 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I have taken mine off in the rear and most likely will remove the front. I have stiff LR HD Springs and bilstiens so there really isn't any roll that I can determine.

EwS
Old March 21st, 2005, 10:50 AM
redrover

Its all per pref. I have a 3 link and md springs no swaybar and the front really dives on pavement cornering. If I had to miss a animal on the interstate I would be dead. On trail Its the only way to go. I have a anti rock in the rear that does not limit articulation at all. JP
Old March 21st, 2005, 10:59 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
JP. Mine dives with the 3-link up front too. Not bad though. I have 3" RYM springs up front and exo mounted ranchos. How do you liek the anti rock in the rear? Is to worth doing? didn't you post detailed pics about this. I would like to hear more.
Oh and I have no sway bars and it is fine. Euro trucks didn't come with them till after 95 I think.
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:07 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Nobody has had any issues with thier springs popping out of place?
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:07 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm running stock 300Tdi springs. I didnt check part numbers, but I think they might be more heavy-duty than NAS - but my NAS springs were 10 years old anyway, so there was no like comparison. The jury's still out.
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:10 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I have not had sways for a while. I'm moving to anti rock as well (in the rear only), based on JP's experience and terrific write-up. My 3 link dives and overall, I get uneasy off camber due to the high COG of my rig. I'm hoping this will help amend that overall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:21 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave
Nobody has had any issues with thier springs popping out of place?

I did! I have cones front and rear to get them back into place. or you could get some hose clamps and keep them from falling out.
Old March 21st, 2005, 12:12 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I haven't had any spring issues. I had dis-connects on the rear and nothing. Most likely the shocks are preventing any popping - just never investigated it.

EwS
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:13 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dave, where is the write up on the anti rock
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:15 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3811
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:19 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

Mine never had any anti roll bars but runs HD military springs. The back rolls more than the front but I'm running a stock set up. I have had to do quick swerves to miss aninmals and it's a bit scarry but I don't think it was too close to roling.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 08:01 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Randy, JP sent me some excellent photos of the mounts. I'll forward them to you.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 04:19 PM
tim
Timothy Homewood
Defender 50th going topless

Hi, For what it is worth. My Europe TD5 (standard 2002 SW) came with no sway bars at all - these tend to appear on the higher end versions (XS) and so on...given the rubbish springs and shocks, it leans a lot in the rear. Scorpion racing have 3 different weights or stiffness of sway bars which I am looking into. tim
Old March 22nd, 2005, 10:16 PM
redrover

David I thought I would add a few things that I have observed on my truck. First is I think the rear anti -rock is great with my coil and shock combo. I dont think it would work with coilovers, but maybe. The rear anti rock is great for trail stability. The rear antirock does not prevent the front of my truck from diving at speed. There is room to mount one in the front, but you may or maynot lose a little articulation. I am still toying with the thought of a fr antirock. On trail the rear system works nice. The anti rock retards the excess body roll I get when rolling through minnor drops/boulders in off camber trail sections. It is not a bolt on product for a 90. You will need some fabrication skills. welding
In the photo you can see that the exterior body panel supprt is inverted/reversed to make room for the anti rock arm movement. jp

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
roll bar