another whining question, but different - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 4th, 2012, 10:09 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
another gearbox whining question, but different

hello gents! just got my rebuilt r380 from ashcroft plus a new t case input spline and had them press on new bearings. replace the bearing races in the old t case for the new bearings as well. and a new clutch and had the flywheel turned. all works well, it does shift a bit more tighter (as to be expected?) but it seems to have a bit of a whine now. now, i do believe i had a bit of a whine in 3-4 gear when just crusing along, not on the gas but easy crusing, you know, when you are hardly on the gas. so the whining i have now is the same but it does seem to do it when acclerating a bit. could this all be due to the new parts? btw, it got replaced because the splines sheared.

thanks

ps. ashcroft is a super company to deal with, very pleased!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2012, 11:21 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
from the Ashcroft FAQ's. After I had my R380 rebuilt with the new gear in the t-case, it whines a bit as well.

I have just fitted a new cross drilled input gear to my LT230 and it whines, is this normal?

Some "pattern" gears are not "crowned" during manufacture and will whine because of the edge contact this creates

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co...&productId=219

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:25 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
thanks! that is what i figured. now i can email dave and tell him to forget about my question and how i should have checked the website first....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2012, 11:30 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Are you running redline MTL in the R380?

My guess is the whine is from the LT230, but in any event I like adding a half a bottle of lucas to the LT230 to shut it up.
Old June 4th, 2012, 01:36 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
yes, redline mtl and redline 75/90w in the t case. lucas oil stabilizer? how much? should i drain out some of the gear oil and top off?
Old June 4th, 2012, 03:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I just wait for it to leak out. I would personally drive around for a few thousand miles before pronouncing it permanent -- the whine that is.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions