Another wheel tire thread - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 20th, 2012, 01:43 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Another wheel tire thread

Back from ROMP and I had a great time, and the truck did very well.

I put a hole in a tire on Saturday, plugged it and it was fine all day Sunday.

But now I'm stuck in the cross roads and need some input

Current wheels/tires - 235/85/16 on stock steel wheels, Interco Trxus MT

Options:
  • 1. Buy a new tire to replace my AT spare, use that as a primary and put the plug tire as a spare (the plug is almost on the sidewall..
  • 2. Spend $500 on two new tires, replace the plugged (almost full tread), and the AT spare
  • 3. Get all new wheels/tires and sell my current set up. I want something a bit bigger for both looks and some extra clearance.
Of course the BFG is everyones first look, but I really wasn't impressed with how other trucks with that tire did. I was able to get up somethings they couldn't. Could be the tire, could be the weight i dunno.

So - working off option 3:

Trxus MT come in the below sizes that may work, I'm also open to other tires you guys can reccomend for mud/snow/sand and some asphalt or course.
  • 1. 255/85/16 - Less than an inch more height, little bit wider, but almost the same weight as my current tire
  • 2. 285/75/16 - still less than an inch more height, alot wider, and almost the same weight
  • 3. 34x12.5x16 - 2 1/4" taller (perfect height i wanted), same tread width as the 285 (not really what I needed but ok), and #20 heavier
Concerns -

• Will the added weight of the 34" tires be a major issue, I BELEIVE my truck has stock 24spline axles (its an 88)
  • What wheels would I need - 16x8 w/ 4" BS?
  • I dont think gearing will be a big issue. I'm running out of RPM now on the highway and could use to lower my effective gear ratio. Also I have the 200TDI going in so more power will be added shortly.
  • Any one looking for a set of 235/18/16, selling these would force my hand into the option I WANT to pursue lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Stock rear axles on an 88 are "usually" 10 spline. You need to see what is in there. Unless you have the genuine 24 spline HD shafts, you need to upgrade. Even then it is a good idea. You also need to know what specific diff you have. 10 spline or 2 pin 24 spline is going to break eventually.

What rims do you have? Are you prepared to change rims to best match the tire?

Are you willing to trim? 287/75 is the biggest that will fit with zero mods. It is a nice size to run.

Do you run in snow? Will you ever run chains? If so, you need to consider clearance for them.

I ran the TrXus for many years and loved them. They are still the best dual purpose tire I've seen. I'm now running Duratracs for my street/winter tires but I do have another set of tires for off roading. They are little better on ice and a little worse in mud than the TrXus.
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
[*]3. 34x12.5x16 - 2 1/4" taller (perfect height i wanted), same tread width as the 285 (not really what I needed but ok), and #20 heavier
[*]What wheels would I need - 16x8 w/ 4" BS?
OK, so the 34 is 1"+ wider on tread and carcass. I would do 16x8 with 4.5" of BS. With this width, you do get outside of the stock flares. You will need some trimming and limiting of the up travel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2012, 02:42 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Adrian - let me know if you are around this week. I run 285 SSR's and if you want to pop one on your truck to see what it looks like and/or take a ride in mine to see how they feel on the street you're more than welcome.

Red90 gave a bunch of great info. I haven't run the TrXus but have seen them on the trail being used by cgalpin and jefhuf. I think they both use them in 285's on stock alloys. I had a spare 285 TrXus when I bought my SSR's and the TrXus runs smaller and lighter than the SSR's in 285/75-16 size.

I am looking at going to 35"s and can't make a decision to save my life so I also have a 315/75 MTR/K mounted on a Wolf. The tire is a bit wide for the rim but it mounted up and doesn't look too "balloony". I am looking at rim options - a stock 16x7 seems good but the wheel is too much inside. Wolf is nice but might be too narrow for wider tires. Red90 - do you have any tips on other steel wheels to run?

Surprised by the BFG's not doing well. But they might not be as good in the ice/mud/snow mix you guys were doing this weekend. Which BFG's were having issues?
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:26 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
OK, so the 34 is 1"+ wider on tread and carcass. I would do 16x8 with 4.5" of BS. With this width, you do get outside of the stock flares. You will need some trimming and limiting of the up travel.
Ok - I dont want to trim. Thank you for all that info. Maybe the 255's or 285's would be best.

Quote:
My 2Ę

It really depends on how you drive. I've done the Rubicon on 34" tires, with stock 10splines and open diffs. Other people wont last 1 mile off road with the same set up. It depends on how hard or gentle you are.

Im a fan of 2 sets of tires. A street tread or an AT for the day to day, and an agressive set for off road. So I would suggest getting some pavement pounders, and keep the offroad tires you have. Wear them out. Leapfrogging tire sizes can cost alot of money, break alot of parts, and it doesn't make you a better driver. The smaller tires will.
2 sets doesn't make sense for me. At most I'll do 5k miles a year, I dont want to store them, and the investment would take 10+yrs to pay itself back. Plus A/T tires look lame and I dont want to bother changing them out. I agree about the driving style. I try to drive as cautiously as possible, but there are certain times when you just gotta "drive it like ya stole it!" HAHA... but seriously sometimes you do

Quote:
Adrian - let me know if you are around this week. I run 285 SSR's and if you want to pop one on your truck to see what it looks like and/or take a ride in mine to see how they feel on the street you're more than welcome.

Red90 gave a bunch of great info. I haven't run the TrXus but have seen them on the trail being used by cgalpin and jefhuf. I think they both use them in 285's on stock alloys. I had a spare 285 TrXus when I bought my SSR's and the TrXus runs smaller and lighter than the SSR's in 285/75-16 size.

I am looking at going to 35"s and can't make a decision to save my life so I also have a 315/75 MTR/K mounted on a Wolf. The tire is a bit wide for the rim but it mounted up and doesn't look too "balloony". I am looking at rim options - a stock 16x7 seems good but the wheel is too much inside. Wolf is nice but might be too narrow for wider tires. Red90 - do you have any tips on other steel wheels to run?

Surprised by the BFG's not doing well. But they might not be as good in the ice/mud/snow mix you guys were doing this weekend. Which BFG's were having issues?
Don - I'll shoot you a PM, would love to check the wheels out and see how they fit.

Also - They were all BFG Mud terrians, i think in 285/75/16 It was a very slick, icey, packed, mud that was giving them problems. In fact I was shocked at how well my truck/tires did, although I'm sure the fact they were 500-1000lbs more than me made a difference. Heck a little series truck did it the best out of all of us so that tells me the weight had something to do with it more than the tires. I'll post some vids in a bit. Too bad you missed the ROMP.. it was fun!
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
OK. Based on what you stated then a 285 TrXus on an aftermarket 16x7" rim would work well. The SSRs being discussed are quite a bit bigger than normal 285s...and do require some flare trimming.

This photo: http://www.red90.ca/photos/albums/la...20in%20004.JPG is a 90 with a 2" lift and 285/75/16 TrXus on 7" modulars.
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:15 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Those look good. They seem to balloon a bit on a 7" wheel, do you think an 8" would be better (if i'm going to buy new wheels might as well get the best ones for the tire, plus a 8" gives me more options down the road.)

I wish I could get another 1" in OD, but Don's going to bring over his wheels and I'll test them out
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:46 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

What is wrong with keeping the 235 85 R16 size?
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Those look good. They seem to balloon a bit on a 7" wheel, do you think an 8" would be better (if i'm going to buy new wheels might as well get the best ones for the tire, plus a 8" gives me more options down the road.)
You could. They will feel a little better on road, but won't be as good at holding a bead off road.
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:28 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
What is wrong with keeping the 235 85 R16 size?

Nothing is wrong with it, and I may still keep them after adding up the $$....

two reasons I'm exploring this option is i could use a inch or so more under my diffss, and for looks a bit.

After riding around at the ROMP my truck looked too damn small lol....
Old February 21st, 2012, 02:06 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

option - search CL for a set of tires .
Old February 21st, 2012, 07:28 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

It is a yin and yang thing. The larger diameter tire you go the more stuff you need to do to the truck. If you keep to a skinner tire the less you will have to modify. I would keep to the 235's or go to the 255/85 unless you want to do more modifications to the truck. It does start to get costly looking for those extra inches. Placement of the diffs on the trail is important no matter what tire size you have.
Old February 21st, 2012, 08:14 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Pretty sure it had more to do with our V8 torque, weight, driving technique, etc. on the ice rather than just the tire. The BFG Mud Terrains handle great on rocks and various other conditions. That was my first time on ice, and I was driving it the same way I do on rocks (2 or 3 locked low), which was probably not the best idea since we were hitting a lot of ice. There may also be a weakness aspect to the BFG MTs on ice - no idea. We all got caught up, plenty. Just saying I've been very happy with the MTs on all of my other trips, so I wouldn't base all my knowledge on the MT on how you saw them perform on ice this past weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-192364762.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	47952  
Old February 21st, 2012, 09:14 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Big fan of the 255/85 size here. Up sized to 255 after having had 235 and wouldn't go back to the smaller tire.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 21st, 2012, 09:40 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Pretty sure it had more to do with our V8 torque, weight, driving technique, etc. on the ice rather than just the tire. The BFG Mud Terrains handle great on rocks and various other conditions. That was my first time on ice, and I was driving it the same way I do on rocks (2 or 3 locked low), which was probably not the best idea since we were hitting a lot of ice. There may also be a weakness aspect to the BFG MTs on ice - no idea. We all got caught up, plenty. Just saying I've been very happy with the MTs on all of my other trips, so I wouldn't base all my knowledge on the MT on how you saw them perform on ice this past weekend.

true - there could of been alot of other reasons why we got caught up, I'm just saying those with BFGs got caught up just as much as anoyone else.

And for that picture - I only saw two trucks make it up that, both Lucky8 trucks and both were driven 100x harder up that thing than I was willing to (or could for that matter).

I'll see how Don's wheels set up looks and feels. I'm starting to think if I dont go to a 34, then I'll do a 255. I would care for more height than width.
Old February 21st, 2012, 09:53 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC22958 View Post
It is a yin and yang thing. The larger diameter tire you go the more stuff you need to do to the truck. If you keep to a skinner tire the less you will have to modify. I would keep to the 235's or go to the 255/85 unless you want to do more modifications to the truck. It does start to get costly looking for those extra inches. Placement of the diffs on the trail is important no matter what tire size you have.
True. But will come down to driving style and if you start breaking parts. Once the diffs/axle need work things can get expensive.

Adrian and I are trying to meet up this week and maybe seeing my setup vs. his might help him out. At least for me it helps seeing stuff in person.
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:06 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Growing up in the northeast and spending a lot of time snowplowing and in snow, ice is a m'fer.

The guy I used to plow with ran freaking street tires on his pickup truck and never seemed to get stuck. But those street tires had a lot of siping which probably did the trick. And he had a shortbed Chevy that was relatively light. From the reviews I've been reading the KM2's do not promise to be good in the ice. Seems that is their main drawback. And I saw the pics and vids from WinterRomp and some of that stuff looked nasty!

Josh - how were the KM'2 on the way up to ME? Driving a ST for I'm guessing 8 hours each way must have been some work!
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:17 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Of course the BFG is everyones first look, but I really wasn't impressed with how other trucks with that tire did. I was able to get up somethings they couldn't. Could be the tire, could be the weight i dunno.
I don't know...the above sounds like a pretty good reason not to switch out of 235/85R16's.

IMHO....bigger tires means more expensive rubber, more road noise, more weight, larger turning radius, less ability to clear low hanging obstacles. More stress on the driveline when things go wonky....ok, so I am biased towards small tires, but that's me

At $250+ a corner, plus spare, I guess it depends on how much you like the look....
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:22 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Josh - how were the KM'2 on the way up to ME? Driving a ST for I'm guessing 8 hours each way must have been some work!

The tires were fine on the way up. I've never used the ear plugs before, although I've always had them available in the console. I've done trips to Boston, Newport, OBX, and a little further South with the TOP OFF and I never felt the need for earplugs. Not sure if it was just me being tired or what yesterday, but I put the ear plugs in after about an hour of driving yesterday, as the truck sounded louder than it ever had before. The top was moving around a bit on the trip back, too, so I think the pressure in the cabin kept changing and messing with my ears. I usually think the Borla is louder than the tires, but that may not have been the case yesterday.

I think we were also driving around 70-75 on the way up, and 80+ on the way back, so that could have made a huge difference.
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:55 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
IMHO....bigger tires means more expensive rubber, more road noise, more weight, larger turning radius, less ability to clear low hanging obstacles. More stress on the driveline when things go wonky....ok, so I am biased towards small tires, but that's me
Really it depends on the type and level of off roading you are doing. If you need to ask, you probably don't need them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire, wheel