Another Toasty NAS 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 12th, 2006, 11:03 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Another Toasty NAS 110

Another NAS 110 burns...
Just heard from a guy in GA.
Bummer.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

If this high a percentage of any US made truck burned, there would be a congressional investigation of the problem.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Just for the sake of asking, I wonder what the average/typical insurance payout is for a 90/110. I've tried to get stated value, but State Farm tells me that it is not old enough. I have full coverage, I hope that will cover my car in the situation I have a total loss. I hope that is never the case, but it happens.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2006, 12:35 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender13
Just for the sake of asking, I wonder what the average/typical insurance payout is for a 90/110. I've tried to get stated value, but State Farm tells me that it is not old enough. I have full coverage, I hope that will cover my car in the situation I have a total loss. I hope that is never the case, but it happens.
About 2 yrs ago I was told by Geico that replacement value for total loss on a 94 D90 was 14k as determined by the NADA book.
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
NAS D110 value is $22k. I just got mine insured. I bought mine post engine fire. Dropping a 2.8 PS in it. Problem solved.
Old July 12th, 2006, 01:07 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Most insurance places without an agreed value coverage will cover you for about 30-35K these days, no more on standard insurance, and you have to work and both to get the 35K.

I would not drive a 110 on standard coverage personally.

Old July 12th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor

Oil cooler lines again? Or do we still not know definitively what's causing the fires?
Old July 12th, 2006, 05:15 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Oil cooler lines or something in the AC.
Always RH front area of the engine bay is the starting point.

I've never seen one in progress, I only get to inspect the aftermath when we fix them, so I can't say for sure.

I believe it to be oil cooler lines as freon is not that flamable, but then again neither is oil.
It must have something to do with a split oil cooler line misting oil onto the manifold to then create a fire.
I don't know for sure, but new or upgraded oil cooler lines on a V8 110 would be highly suggested.

Old July 12th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Question

Mike (ERC),

Do you suggest replacing the oil cooler lines with Genuine? I know that some have replaced with a stainless braided teflon hose?

Old July 12th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Actually, old engine oil WILL burn, and quite nicely too. I know that many folks use it in home metal casting furnaces. But it has to be finely atomized and well supplied with fresh air..... almost the exact situation you get when you get a small spraying leak in an oil line.

-Hans

Old July 12th, 2006, 07:27 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
This wasn't a truck you guys worked on was it?
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:35 PM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

Two comments on this topic.

First, I was able to get my 110 insured through Allstate at stated value which is a little bit of 'piece of mind' should something disasterous happen. No questions asked other than a statement of the purchase price as a reality check I think, and an inspection of the vehicle to do a visual check that it was in the condition stated.

Second, I replaced the oil cooler lines on mine as a precautionary step, but I am also going to replace the A/C lines as well. It is my understanding (I could be wrong however as I am not up on AC internals) that there is a fine light oil in the AC lines to lube the compressor. If a line breaks the refrigerant goes and with it the oil. It would seem that a fine light atomized oil hitting a hot exhaust header (only a few inches away) with some force from the pressurized system would provide and good source of fire. By itself maybe not enough to produce a major fire but a good hot flash could then set off a lot of other combustibles in the engine bay. Anyway just a thought.
Old July 12th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Jase
Jase
pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Actually, old engine oil WILL burn, and quite nicely too. I know that many folks use it in home metal casting furnaces. But it has to be finely atomized and well supplied with fresh air..... almost the exact situation you get when you get a small spraying leak in an oil line.

-Hans
It does not need to be atomized. Used engine oil will burn in a pool if you add some heat and enough air.
Old July 12th, 2006, 10:13 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

insurance coverage

I recently rolled my 1994 D90 on Potato Salad Hill in Moab and thought there goes $25-30,000. Allstate, knowing the full particulars of the accident covered all the damage (it will total over $20,000) without a peep. Check your policy to see if it covers you offroad. Look under "exclusions".

Clark
Old July 12th, 2006, 10:25 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
IS THIS PROBLEM PROPRIETARY TO THE 110 ONLY? What about the D90?
Old July 12th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

It is also an issue with the D-90 as well. There have been a few burned D-90's on this website already, and I highly suggest inspecting your oil lines for cracks, rot, or otherwise poor condition on a regular basis.

Personally, I don't like the factory oil lines at all. I don't think that the hose used has enough resistance to abrasion, and seems to have a tendancy to fail catastrophically with little warning.

-Hans

Old July 12th, 2006, 10:56 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
IS THIS PROBLEM PROPRIETARY TO THE 110 ONLY? What about the D90?
The 'ole 90 will Car-B-Que as well.
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:07 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Any ideas on upgrading the oil lines?
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:37 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
yes, typing "oil lines" into the search line at the top of the page will be a good start.
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:39 PM
crobinson
Chris Robinson
97' D1

GO BUY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER!! It saved my 95' D-90 with a brand new 4.6 engine. The smoke was so bad that you could not see the cars behind the Defender and it was in the middle of the day. I was pulling away at a stop light when the oil cooler line burst. Lucky I had the fire extinguisher and had the fire out in less than a minute. Don't buy a cheap one from Wal-mart either. They come with plastic saftey pins that break off in the handle keep you from extinguihing the fire. I know because it happen to me. I had to beat the living crap out of the handle on the road to get it to work. No fire damage to the Defender.
Chris

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, nas, nas 110