Another tire thread - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 8th, 2012, 06:08 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Another tire thread

OK - got my wolf wheels - now I need the tires i want.... which tires do I want:

Currently I have Interco Trxus 235/85/16 I like them but I want something a little bigger for a little more ground clearance and more footprint. Traction wise they do very well off road for me, and have a nice ride on road... heres where I'm at

1. Interco TrXus M/T 255/85/16 or 285/75/17 -
Pros - I know that i like this tire for reasons above.
Cons - Its not even 1" larger than what I have now 32.7" vs. 31.9" OD, alot of coin for a barely noticable difference - not sure how the lifespan is

2. Interco Narrow SS 9/34-16LT Pros - Pretty much the exact hieght and width I want (just under 34" and 8" wide.
Cons - I would have to get the siped locally, no idea how they perform on or off road, I'm assuming on road they would be loud and not as good as the TrXus, also dont know how long they last for mixed use?

3. BFG M/T KM2 (or KM) 255/85/16 - Pros - Available just about everywhere, good all around tire for on/offroad. Right where I want to be in size 33.3"OD
Cons - Not sure if this is as good as the Interco's off road

Think thats it - am I missing anything?

My plans for the truck (here comes the spoiler alert), is to build it up a bit and take it to Alaska and back, with as little pavement as possible. I'm looking probably sometime next year for this trip. Currently I use it for short jaunts to the beach and park (5-10 miles each wasy at most), and to any local offroading or events. Id rather have a better off road tire and suffer on road than have a great on road tire and suffer offroad.

Price isn't a huge issue as this will probably be the last set of tires i buy for awhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2012, 07:55 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I think the truxus will out perform the KM2s offroad. Good choice with 255s
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:58 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
the KM2's in that size are periodically on backorder. Very limited production runs. Just an FYI. Check before you place the order.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2012, 08:05 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I guess it depends on what kind of offroading. For expedition style travel I am not sure it matters much. I recently pulled my well worn Trxus 285/75/16 (on freestyles) and put on some low mileage 255/85/16 KM2s (on wolfs). Honestly I think the Trxus were much better offroad for my kind of wheeling which involves lots of rocks and the occasional mud. The Trxus are softer but it's a bit of an unfair comparison as the KM2s are skinnier which could be the main difference. I think the KM2s feel better on road - I had the air the Trxus up really hard or I'd feel sidewall flex on corners. The KM2s should last a lot longer than the Trxus which wore pretty quickly for me, but they were used heavily offroad.

Anyway, I figured I'd share my experience since it seems similar to your choices.
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:10 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I hate to get off track but does anyone have experience with the copper STT mud terrains?
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:36 PM
UtahD90
Adam Harward
1995 Defender 90 SW

Registry
what about the SSR 35x10.50x16? I've loved my SSR 285/75/16's but want more clearance and less width. Anyone run these?
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:40 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I guess it depends on what kind of offroading. For expedition style travel I am not sure it matters much. I recently pulled my well worn Trxus 285/75/16 (on freestyles) and put on some low mileage 255/85/16 KM2s (on wolfs). Honestly I think the Trxus were much better offroad for my kind of wheeling which involves lots of rocks and the occasional mud. The Trxus are softer but it's a bit of an unfair comparison as the KM2s are skinnier which could be the main difference. I think the KM2s feel better on road - I had the air the Trxus up really hard or I'd feel sidewall flex on corners. The KM2s should last a lot longer than the Trxus which wore pretty quickly for me, but they were used heavily offroad.

Anyway, I figured I'd share my experience since it seems similar to your choices.
Thats great feedback.. thanks! About how many miles did you get out of the TrXus and was it 50/50 on/offroad? 60/40...etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahD90 View Post
what about the SSR 35x10.50x16? I've loved my SSR 285/75/16's but want more clearance and less width. Anyone run these?
I dont think I can fit the 35" without some trimming I was thinking 34" -33" would be ideal

So anyone with expierence with the Interco Narrow SS?
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:50 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post

1. Interco TrXus M/T 255/85/16 or 285/75/17 -
wait you mean 287/75 R16 right? Not 17. Mine are 285/75 R16s in the BFG KM2s if you remember that size on mine.
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:02 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Yes sorry - typo. All 16" rims

just looked at intercos website - the LTB comes in a great size too.. 34 x 10.50 x 16 ... looks like the narrow SS WITH siping.. so maybe thats what I want?

Where does everyone buy interco tires at by the way?

I think the BFG's are out of the questions, if the interco's are better offroad i'd probably prefer them
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:17 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Tire Rack, 4wheelparts, powerblockTV.
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:55 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
About how many miles did you get out of the TrXus and was it 50/50 on/offroad? 60/40...etc?
I don't recall the mileage when I put them on, but certainly less than 20K miles. To be fair my rotation schedule was poor and 2 of them still have decent tread, but they were mainly tore up from wheeling. I am sure the ratio was more like 90/10 on/off since I really don't travel far offroad (16+ hours wheeling at Rausch I only did 30 miles for example, but 300+ to get there/back)
Old May 9th, 2012, 06:55 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Dude, stay away from any of the knar knar interco tires if you want to drive on the road at all. Those 9/34 's are pretty bad and the LTB is fawkin horrible.
Trexus MT is pretty good and I've run them on about everything. The drawback is rapid irregular wear so you never really get the full life of the tire.
SSR's are the shit for a bigger tire. They wear really well and are not bad on road. Seem to have to air them down way low......I run the 37's at about 6psi. Expensive.
BFG KMs seem to be pretty good although it seems tough to get good even wear out of them

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:32 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Thanks guys. I'm thinkin 285/75/16 SSR's. A little wider than I wanted but the perfect height and a good all round tire that favors offloading a bit more than onroad. Just gotta pony up the dough!
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
I hate to get off track but does anyone have experience with the copper STT mud terrains?
I have a set on the Disco. It is a good tire with limited noise on the highway and balanced nice. I haven't done too much off road with them but they have done well in the mud.
I have the SSR on the Defender and it is great off road but not too kind on road. They do not balance too well. Have you looked at the Goodyear Kevlar mud? I know some people that had the KM2 and then went to the Goodyear and liked the Goodyear much better.
I would also consider that you may experience a tire failure and what will be the easiest replacement tire to get when you are on your trip? Just a thought.
Old May 9th, 2012, 08:13 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

I had horrible experiences with the trxus tires... while they were nice in mud offroad, they had real bad quality control issues when I had them.. inner bands would snap, they'd constantly need to be balanced, etc.. I went through about 10 of them until I decided to trash them and just go with BFG MTs to give me a good balance of on-road and off-road.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:41 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC22958 View Post
Have you looked at the Goodyear Kevlar mud? I know some people that had the KM2 and then went to the Goodyear and liked the Goodyear much better.
Thoughts on overall wear and tire noise between the two? FWIW, Tirerack.com has them both (285/75) at $235/each, but the GYs have a rebate going to take another $80 off a set.
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:58 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
check out www.discounttiredirect.com as well. A bunch of us got sets of BFG MT KM2s a year or two ago with free shipping for around $860 for 4. With your track record for flat tires, I'd buy 6.
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:04 AM
ersatzknarf
Frank
'96 hybrid

How about the Toyo M/T in 255/85R16 (33.5" OD) or their M55 (33.3" OD) ?
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:43 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
My plans for the truck (here comes the spoiler alert), is to build it up a bit and take it to Alaska and back, with as little pavement as possible. I'm looking probably sometime next year for this trip. Currently I use it for short jaunts to the beach and park (5-10 miles each wasy at most), and to any local offroading or events. Id rather have a better off road tire and suffer on road than have a great on road tire and suffer offroad.
If you're planning on wheeling on rock gardens and sharp stuff, I'd think bias ply. I really like my TSL/SX. They are noisy above 55mph, though.

To me, there's not much of a difference between an MTR or a KM2 or an SSR or whatever. They all seem like competent offroad tires with slight differences in lug patterns. Besides the tread, the underlying structure seems pretty similar between all of them. I see a wide variety of radials at Rausch and people seem to do fine with them. The real question seems to be what size do you want, and what is price-competitive at the time.

For example, if you had a choice between a $150 KM2 and a $230 MTR, I think the answer is staring you in the face.

There's always a pressure to conform (peer pressure), and there are actual advantages to running the same diameter as your trail buddies (you can use their spares if necessary), but in the end, I recommend buying the most bad-a$$ offroad tire you can buy for the money.
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:52 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
You may not be as unhappy with the Duratrac 285 75 16s as you might believe. They are also on sale with a $60 rebate from Goodyear, and you can still get them from 4wd.com, who have the 5% discount on them. So, all four at 249.95 is 999.96 minus the 5% is 949.96 plus 49.94 shipping puts you right at a grand for four. Then with the $60 bucks off you're at 940 before installation.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire