Another Suspension Question - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 1st, 2007, 08:46 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
did you get any "lift" from the hd LR springs? I was thinking about those. at this point id rather just be able to support the bumper, winch, sliders and what not. the OME HD/MD has gotten my truck all fucked up
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2007, 10:00 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

I didn't really measure when I installed them, plus the original rear springs were saging. I run 285/65/16 MTRs with wheel spacers on stock rims. And I'm guessing between roof rack, RW bumper, winch, RW sliders, frame sliders, and all the rest of my armor and recovery gear I'm caring an additional 700lbs. With the spacer in the back, the rear still sits a little higher than the front, which is what I prefer. The only rubbing I get is at the forward edge of the rear eye brows. And I've wheeled with chains and have no rubbing other rubbing. I'm guessing the lift was about an 1.5", but really don't care as the set-up works for me. Mark
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:44 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I have the OME HD/MD springs and I have no complaints. Good balance. Good articulation. I also have had the truck off the ground a few times, it was a dare/bet from my brother-in-law. I was really impressed with the way it set back down on the ground. So smooth. So stable. It was very impressive to me.

So how have they screwed your truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2007, 08:35 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Its not really the shop, they had the truck for two months replacing the clutch and some seals (leak free), a long story. They seemed to do a pretty thorough inspection and seemed to think the ujoints etc was in good order. I put the suspension on back in April and it has been okay, the truck is higher on one side than the other, the springs are matched. I may get a set of handed springs and see how they work. As far as the vibrations maybe its just the tires I should probally have them balanced, not to mention it sat for two months so now the tires really ride bad. I imagine its just in my head, so many people have the OME HD/MD setup with no issues. I could keep throwing money at it but I am running out of it.
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmccallum
Hey Buck,

Now you have started my mind to thinking.

I'm curious as to why you aren't very fond of the lowered shock mounts. And I think I may be on to it. Is it because while the articulation may improve, the travel will actually deminish? So therefore, the wheel will not stuff into the wheel well as far. This will impair RTI (ramp results) since the ass won't squat down as far. But is this noticed on the trail? We all know that RTI results are a crude way of measuring articulation since you can pull up the opposite rear wheel to increase your score but it won't help as much on the trail.
Hey,

Sometimes it is harder to describe things correctly when typing. Here is the gist the best I can do. Lets say your running a 10in travel shock stock. You go for a 2in lift and lower the shock mounts 2in. Now your running a 10in shock. Sure, it may actually line up that you just happen to need the tire to stop 2in shorter, but you still have a 10in shock stroke. So, you have a stock suspension thats 2in higher. But since your probably getting better shocks, better springs, maybe a 3link or heim jointed rear links, why not get a shock in there that actually allows you to use those things? If you raise the mount you can get 14in shocks in there and can use all of that travel if you set the rest up. Thats why my shocks come up through the rear floor about a foot and up just under the front hood. Granted, thats not for most, but it sorta shows what I mean.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Question:

I have seen trailing arms with heim joints instead of the typical bushing through the frame seat set up. Could you do a similar thing with the radius arms? I don't think a heim would take the abuse but could you fab a larger stronger version to increase drop in the front.

Thoughts?

See I didn't even mention shock mounts!
When I get back home I will post pics of what I have. I use an 1.25in Heim on the frame end with an 8in extended radius arm. It takes the abuse no problemo.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmccallum
I also thought the bushing issue came frome the frame end. It seems to be the most stressed angle.
The SG 3 link uses the stock frame end mounts. It may look stressed but it has a good bit of play.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:21 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
The SG 3 link uses the stock frame end mounts. It may look stressed but it has a good bit of play.
You got a point there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions