Another Spring Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 14th, 2012, 08:06 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Another Spring Question

So - I'm planning a trip for this summer with the truck, and I think a spring upgrade would be ideal.

Turns out my truck has stock springs on 2" spacers currently.

My rear tires rub a little with a relatively lightly loaded truck while going over larger obstacles. Its not killer, but its only going to be worse with a heavily loaded truck.

I'm trying to pick out the correct springs, that will allow me to load my truck heavily for offroad trips withouth loosing even more body clearance, but also not rattle me to death on the street. I understand I can't have both worlds, but trying to get somewhere in the middle.

I'm thinking OME 2766 Front, OME 2781 Rears. DO people normally put in spring isolators as well?

The truck has bilstien HD shocks now, i plan on keeping those

The truck is a diesel with a winch bumper, I'm running 255/85/16 Tires (about 34")

For this trip (and any others) the truck will be loaded pretty heavily with camping gear, Fuel, food, water, tools etc...When not on trips its pretty empy aside from my tools, recovery gear, and maybe a surf board and a dog lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Oliver Whiting
Oliver Whiting
84 110, 94 NAS90,Bunch of EX-mods

Shameless plug for me but I have Tough Dog springs for your Defender. If you are looking for a good combo for a Defender 90 TDC508 fronts will suit all Defender 90's with a bull bar and winch either gas or diesel. TDC518H will suit medium load of 300kg/660lbs.
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:46 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post

I'm thinking OME 2766 Front, OME 2781 Rears. DO people normally put in spring isolators as well?
I have those same springs in my D1, and they work very well. The 2781's provide a great ride.

I am moving from 2" to 3" lift and am getting ready to sell my 2766 and 2781 springs. Only have about 3000 miles on them. If you're interested.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2012, 11:22 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Thanks - Jason I sent you a PO, look for more input from others as to what is the best spring for my set up as well.

Oliver, I took a look, but to be honest, there are enough springs on sale lightly used, i couldn't see the point in buying new
Old December 14th, 2012, 12:17 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

HD bilsteins

You also mentioned the HD bilsteins - IMHO these are a stiff shock as I just took off the 2 inch lift and went with a 3 inch Rovertym set up with the long travel Bilsteins. It is a much more cushioning ride then the OME and HD Bilsteins.
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
What I want to know is why your tires are rubbing.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:40 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
What I want to know is why your tires are rubbing.
Because when compressed, the springs do not offer enough clearance between the top of the tire and the wheel well
Old December 14th, 2012, 10:04 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Because when compressed, the springs do not offer enough clearance between the top of the tire and the wheel well
Which means that you don't have effective bump stops.
Old December 14th, 2012, 10:15 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
True... But also could mean my springs are too soft
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:37 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

You need longer bumpstops if you are hitting the top of the tub or completely compressing the spring. Get HD OME springs. I'm getting those for mine. I have a fuel tank in the back and yours is a bit lighter but with gear in there the ride should be smooth.

I have them in my disco and love the flex. I have RTEs in the Defener and feel they are a bit stuff.

Also if you are rubbing an wheel arch you just need to add some washers to the trailing arm to push it out a hair. We can take a look
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:40 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Thanks - Jason I sent you a PO, look for more input from others as to what is the best spring for my set up as well.

Oliver, I took a look, but to be honest, there are enough springs on sale lightly used, i couldn't see the point in buying new
Emailed a couple pics.

Jason
Old December 15th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Springs do not and should not EVER limit compression travel!!! A 255/85/16 should not hit on compression unless you have done something very strange with the wheel offset.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:37 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Get the bump stops sorted out and then reconsider springs after you have a load that resembles what you will be running. I always pull the springs out completely (leave the shocks) on both ends and cycle the suspension all around to check tire clearance, trim and set a bumpstop height......then run the appropriate spring to get good ride height.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old December 15th, 2012, 07:20 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Springs do not and should not EVER limit compression travel!!! A 255/85/16 should not hit on compression unless you have done something very strange with the wheel offset.
You're a joke. A 255/85 on a wolf will hit the tub of an old 90 with tired stock springs and shocks when the back is loaded up going over a speed bump or whipping around a quick turn at a roundabout. It's no surprise that spacers with stock springs would do the same thing. This is 33-34" versus stock 28-29".

This doesn't take rocket appliances to figure out. His springs aren't limiting travel and he doesn't want them to. He needs better springs to handle the weight as well as bump stops. You really need to just come out and suggest solutions in one or two sentences instead of being the vague "I'm right and you're wrong but will never really offer you anything more than that" poster that you always are.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:06 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
Get the bump stops sorted out and then reconsider springs after you have a load that resembles what you will be running. I always pull the springs out completely (leave the shocks) on both ends and cycle the suspension all around to check tire clearance, trim and set a bumpstop height......then run the appropriate spring to get good ride height.
Thanks Matt. I will do that and see how much more bump stop I need to add

It's not that it rubs all the time or even often. Only when traveling of road, on large obstacles where it shoves a wheel way up into the wheel well. My concern is when I'm on this trip I will be much more heavily loaded and it will occur much more often ( on not just large obstacles but smaller more common ones as well).

I do agree I need to fix the bump stops. That makes sense. But I also think I need a new spring rate to handle the heavier load and maintain my desired ride height with that load
Old December 15th, 2012, 05:21 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I don't know as much as others but when I went to 315s/35s I posted a question about new springs with more lift and rubbing on Pirate (and here) and the people that wheel their trucks said "bumpstumps". So I got longer bumpstops from Lucky 8 and driveway tested the travel and it seemed fine especially after I cut my fender flares a bit where it hit. The following trip to Rausch was good - little bit of rub here and there but nothing out of the norm for the terrain.

Adrian - when you want come over and we can load your rig down - I have plenty of ballast in the form of old stone and leftover storm wood. I also have a some dirt piles that can twist stuff up pretty good and we can see what hits and what things happen rubbing wise. Your truck seems to sit higher in the rear so I think it will be fine but let's cycle it with some weight and see for sure. I have been thinking of using some of the storm wood and building the test course up a little more burly - your project might give me some motivation
Old December 15th, 2012, 07:34 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Don that sounds great. I'm free starting tomorrow lol. I know your busy with the kids but just let me know when is good and ill make some time to come over whenever.
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:17 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Bossman - Might be able to do something tomorrow - I think we are hanging at the house all day. Supposed to be pretty wet tho. If not tomorrow then this week sometime. Will send you a text tomorrow.
Old December 18th, 2012, 06:35 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Dont just load it up with junk. Round up what you will be taking and load the truck. You might be surprised. I find most people tend to think they will be hauling much more weight than they think, and you really have no idea until you pack it. Weight distribution will make a difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions