Another rivnut/ rivetnut post - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 9th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

Another rivnut/ rivetnut post

Through my own trials of rebuilding, I've tried to find a reasonably priced tool to properly set the rivnuts that secure the steering column and heater box. I tried the bolt, nut, and washer approach, however I found it really difficult to keep everything straight. I really only succeeded in waisting a few rivnuts, and scratching up my freshly painted firewall. I'm sure it can be done that way, I just wasn't having much success.

Online, I found a couple cheap tools that imitated the nut and bolt method, but I knew I'd have the same problems. My search continued. Grainger and such wanted a lot, like $150 for the tool and 40 or so for the correct nosepiece and mandrel. 150-200 bucks seemed like too much for 4 rivnuts installed, even if I could be sure they were done correctly. I recently found a Northern Industrial tool (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4105_200394105 ) for $69.99. After a discussion with them to make sure it could handle this, I bought it. All in all it was about $78 shipped, and though I haven't used it yet, it seems ruggedly built. I'll post again and give a review after using it. I just wanted to pass this info along, as I've seen several people ask about a cheap installation tool. Though this isn't cheap, it's cheaper, and has several mandrels and rivet pieces that come with it. If it works well, I'll be psyched to have it in my tool box.

It's funny these don't come installed on new firewalls, while smaller ones are installed for the door retaining hardware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2010, 03:02 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Let me know how it works, I need to get one and stop mooching off my friends riv nut gun.
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Pegsus Racing sells some keyed rivnuts and rivnut placement tools - very inexpensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2010, 10:20 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

link?
Old April 10th, 2010, 07:30 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
once you own one, you will never know how you lived without it.. I have a Marson kit.. good unit.
Old April 10th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I have one very similar and it is awesome.
Old April 10th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...ID=HARDNUTSERT
Old April 11th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
rivnuts; changed my life. I got a metric kit on ebay for about $100. wish I had done it years before.
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

So my buddy was fighting rivnuts on the Rovertym sliders for his DII. He in my opinion came up with an ingenius idea. He would drill the hole and then smear a tad of metal epoxy of sorts on there and let it sit for a bit before using the bolt and nut trick to compress and seat them. Worked like a charm. No spinning at all.

Just FYI
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

Just used it for the first time today. It was totally awesome. I can't believe I didn't buy this sooner. I totally feel the $70 +shipping is justified now, especially since it came with several different sized mandrels. They went in straight, first try (destroyed too many trying to cheap out before buying the tool)!

Now that I have this, I'm going to rivnut everything. Where have you guys been buying the rivnuts? I got them online from Fastenal, but they were almost a buck a pop. Is that pretty much the going price?

------ Follow up post added April 12th, 2010 10:53 PM ------

Nice. Pegasus is WAY cheaper..
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
harbor freight $20 with multiple mandrels and an assortment of rivnuts. I use mostly .25 x20.
I am on my second tool but the first lasted years

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:23 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Ok so I'm a little slow. Did a quick search and still can't figure this tool out. Isn't this tool from Northern for a rivet? I can use this on a rivnut? Thanks

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 13th, 2010, 02:35 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

I had no idea what a rivnut or threadsert was until I finally needed one. W
hat they are is a round piece of metal with the inner part comprised of threads. You drill the recommended hole size in the sheet metal mostly where it is impossible to get a nut on bolt, you insert the rivnut, you then screw the mandrel into the rivnut and into what looks similar to a rivet gun and squeeze. (I am simplifying this a bit)
The process pulls the threaded insert portion of the rivnut through the center of the rivnut and pinches the sheet metal onto the exterior of the rivnut. Now you can fasten your botl to the sheet metal/rivnut hole. val-la
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:07 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Thanks Clay,

I guess I should have been more clear. I know what a rivnut is, I am wondering if the northern tool rivet gun can be used to set a rivnut. Thanks

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:27 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mcmaster Carr has a mega huge assortment.... They also have rivnut tool parts and mandrels. I have broken the small one before.. like the 4mm one I think..
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:43 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Anyone have a good source to buy just the rivnuts? I have owned a tool (similar to the one at Northern Tool) for several years but have run out of my supply of the useful sizes
Old April 13th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
harbor freight sells an assortment box. McMaster Carr is hard to beat.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 13th, 2010, 04:46 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The one from Harbor Freight ($12)works very well and includes an assortment of nuts. An extra assortment of nuts is about $10. For comparison, the Snap-on one is $100.

Old April 13th, 2010, 05:03 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

What one did you order?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1210

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94100

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
The one from Harbor Freight ($12)works very well and includes an assortment of nuts. An extra assortment of nuts is about $10. For comparison, the Snap-on one is $100.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
I'm getting a Troy Box for the back of my defender and I'm thinking it may be time to buy a rivnut tool for the install. Is there any reason why I should get a metric set versus a standard set? Not sure which one to get. Any recommendations? Not sure how much I will be using this type of tool, perhaps for a wing top install down the line so didn't want to go overboard on an expensive one, but don't want to cheap out either.

Thanks in advance!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions