Another "My Defender won't start" question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 27th, 2005, 08:32 PM
MiniGuy
Andrew Mobley

Another "My Defender won't start" question

I don't drive my 1994 D-90 much anymore, so it does sit a lot. It has had the typical slow battery drain so I have a cut off switch on the battery.

The last time I started it last week, I had to charge the battery with jumper cables because I forgot to cut the battery switch off. Before the battery was charged, I tried to start it and I heard the sound of a relay going off like a rattle snake. Once it was charged it started right up.

Now it has sat for 5 days or so and I have replaced the battery since I knew that the old one was on the way out (no reason not to take advantage of a free warranty exchange)

Now the starter motor won't engage at all. When I turn the key, I hear the fuel pump prime itself, and when I turn it to start I hear a relay click but no action at all from the starter motor.

I crawled under the truck and checked that the solenoid is getting power.

I tried wacking it with a hammer but no luck.

Does this mean that I need a new starter motor? I had the same thing happen a few months ago when the starter motor would not respond at all and then worked fine the next day. . .

Oh, one more thing. . . after trying to start it, I hear a little short buzzing sound under the bonnet when I turn the key completely off. I don't recall ever hearing that before???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Just to be sure (be sure for myself) when you measure voltage at the solinid you are checking that you have power at the Big red wire and then the smaller wire. The smaller wire should only get power when you turn the key to start.

That buzzing under the hood, maybe try and figure where it is comming from, could be the heater motor or maybe something to do with the AC?
Old December 28th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

The buzzing under the hood is likely the stepper motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2005, 08:41 AM
MiniGuy
Andrew Mobley

I am going to call British Pacific once they open this morning.

Thanks Rob for the info about the stepper motor. You used to work on this truck when I lived in Colorado.

I am guessing that the stepper motor is a sound that would normally be drowned out by the sound of the engine cutting off.

But still, does it sound like I have a bad starter motor here?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 28th, 2005, 12:51 PM
MiniGuy
Andrew Mobley

Yikes! The price of a Bosch starter motor jumped up a LOT in the past couple weeks. I have ended up ordering one of the previous dreaded Lucas starters since it is almost half the price of the Bosch since the price increase. . .

I'll update when I get it installed. . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start