Another LED turn signal question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 10th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Freeser
Tom Freese
1988 110

Another LED turn signal question

I replaced the rear turn signals and tail lights on my ROW 110 with Wipac LEDs a while ago and was really happy with the lights. I was having issues with the front turn signals and decided to replace these as well. I replaced the right one and tested it. Everything worked OK so I replaced the left one. When I put the left turn signal on all four signals blink. The right ones still work perfectly. With the left turn signal on, I disconnected the front left LED but the other three kept blinking. I reversed the connections on the front left LED and it did not blink but the other three kept blinking. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the issue might be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2016, 11:06 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Most likely your problem is the blinker bulb in your gauge cluster, or rather an issues with the cluster itself. Try removing this bulb and testing. If that solves your problem (which it probably will) contact BoltOnBits in the UK. They sell a blinker bulb with an external ground wire.

Don't wire in any resistors or whatever. It is a stop gap for the actual issue.

I went through this with my truck. Easy fix.
Old September 12th, 2016, 11:32 AM
east high
Gerad Davis
1967/s2a 88

I had the same problem when I did this in my Series. You need to wire a ballast into each circuit. I also replaced my mechanical flasher unit. It's all good now. I used the top two items on this page.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...oad-resistors/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2016, 07:13 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Put loads on both front signals

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old September 13th, 2016, 07:25 AM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
I would be willing to bet one of your side repeaters is out. Ballast or load resistors are not needed as long as the side repeaters are both functioning.
Old September 13th, 2016, 07:52 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Walk into your local auto parts store, hand them $17 and get the two pack of load resistors. Install them across the wires to the front signals. Problem solved.

Just did one the other day. It was the only way to keep all 4 from flashing. I assume you could also put them across the wiring to the rear signals but would be much more difficult obviously.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old September 13th, 2016, 08:00 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Walk into your local auto parts store, hand them $17 and get the two pack of load resistors. Install them across the wires to the front signals. Problem solved. Just did one the other day. It was the only way to keep all 4 from flashing. I assume you could also put them across the wiring to the rear signals but would be much more difficult obviously. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
That is a bandage for the actual issue. The problem is in the dash light. OP pull your dash bulb and see what happens. http://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/91851-...ring-problems/
Old September 13th, 2016, 08:16 AM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
That is a bandage for the actual issue. The problem is in the dash light. OP pull your dash bulb and see what happens. http://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/91851-...ring-problems/
technically you are correct however the problem is not the dash indicator, pulling it is also a bandage for the actual issue. The dash light is activated by back feeding through the the opposite side turn signal. Which is why when you activate hazards it does not blink. LEDS are light emitting diodes and act as a gate. So technically stop the back feed flow of electricity and is why all four blink. The original harness was designed to work with incandescent bulbs. As long as you retain the side markers as incandescent, power will back feed through those bulbs and the lights will work correctly (including the dash indicator). Mine did for months without issue and would still work today had I not corrected the wiring design and installed led repeaters.
Old September 13th, 2016, 08:18 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
That is a bandage for the actual issue. The problem is in the dash light. OP pull your dash bulb and see what happens. LED Indicators, Fitting / Wiring problems - Defender Forum - LR4x4 - The Land Rover Forum

Call it what you want, it SOLVES the issue. Is your solution simply to go without a dash bulb? To install two dash bulbs? How is that better than the so called bandage approach?

Personally I think the LED craze will probably fade in a few years, I think permanent changes to the circuit are bandages to the real problem. Load resistors can be easily removed when the original lamps are en vogue once more.
Old September 13th, 2016, 08:25 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Call it what you want, it SOLVES the issue. Is your solution simply to go without a dash bulb? To install two dash bulbs? How is that better than the so called bandage approach? Personally I think the LED craze will probably fade in a few years, I think permanent changes to the circuit are bandages to the real problem. Load resistors can be easily removed when the original lamps are en vogue once more.
My solution is to install a bulb with an external ground. I proposed that in post #2. I suggested pulling the bulb just to verify quickly what the problem was.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
signal