Another fuel pump not running issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 27th, 2012, 04:36 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Another fuel pump not running issue

Hey guys

My 95 90 is not getting power to the fuel pump.

I have checked for power at fuel pump fuse and theres nothing there, I checked for power at the inertia switch nothing there. Im down to thinking that the ECU maybe done?

I have checked the relays and find power there and if I give ground to the blue wire which I believe is the wire the ECU gives ground to relay the fuel pump runs. The part im stumped at is why isnt there power KEY ON at the fuel pump fuse?

All this started after a month long hibernation while I was out of town, I disconeccted the battery as I allways due when I leave town to keep the battery from going dead from sterao memory wire.

PS I noticed while cranking motor over the tach jumps up to 3000 rpms while cranking! maybe the alt. doing this or grounds? I have checked and cleaned all I could find.

Im sure im missing something simple here, I can't find my rave CD so hopeing someone has an idea. All door buzzers and other key on accs. work just fine. its just the fuel pump voltage.

It has spark no fuel

Thanks Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2012, 05:24 PM
red&yellowrovers
Joe Still
95 D90 NAS 3.9l ST AA Yellow #2719

I've been battling the same thing. Mine goes dead after 5 mins and won't start
(no fuel pump) for about 3 hrs.

I've sent my ecu off to have bench tested/repaired. Will let you know if that helps.

Based on other threads it seems the electrical connectors at the pump can also go bad so I'm tryign to pull the fuel tank to renew those connectorions. My pump was new 300 miles ago.

Good luck and stay in touch. js
Old August 28th, 2012, 03:18 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Thanks

Let me know if your ECU fixes your issues, Did your tach bounce while cranking.

Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

I am not an expert on 3.9 inner workings but it sounds like an ECU to me.

On my 1997 I know the ECU controls the grounds on lots of things so that leads me to believe that might be related.

What is weird though is the fact that there is no power to the fuse.
Old August 28th, 2012, 02:56 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wirken View Post
I am not an expert on 3.9 inner workings but it sounds like an ECU to me.

On my 1997 I know the ECU controls the grounds on lots of things so that leads me to believe that might be related.

What is weird though is the fact that there is no power to the fuse.

Yea thats what I thought as well on the fuse, im trying to figure out where the fuse gets its power im still looking for a wire diagram. I have been busy on other projects and haven't given the 90 the attention. I was thinking the fuse power was switched power from the ignition switch, but unsure till I see a schematic.

Ed

Old August 29th, 2012, 10:11 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

Theres ignition power at the fuel pump relay..the ecu sends a signal to trip the relay which sends 12v to the fuel pump fuse and inertia switch....i went down the same road couple days ago ...found bad fuel pump relay...and cleaned all grounds ....if you come up with somthing else let us know

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel